Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax Visa/Cheque Guarantee

Options
  • 22-06-2007 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I have been in ireland approx. 5 months now and have been having problems getting a credit card. I recently opened a Halifax current account and they approved me for their Visa Debit/ATM card combined with a 130 Euro Cheque Guarantee card and cheque book.

Does being given a Cheque Guarantee card mean I have a good chance of also being approved for a Visa credit card? Halifax told me that all current account applications have to go to 'underwriters' for approval so I presume that I must have had to pass a credit check etc?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The cheque guarantee card doesn't really mean that much, but the fact that you've been approved for an account probably won't hurt.

Perhaps have a couple of months good banking record on your current account will work out for you also, and help you get a credit card.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Your lack of a credit history is probably where the problem lies, so having a bank account/cheque book will help but won't solve the problem.

As BuffyBot says, your best bet is to spend the next few months being the ideal current account customer. If Halifax can see regular income going into your account over a period of time they'll be far more inclined to give you a CC. Opening a savings account and depositing something there on a regular basis won't hurt either.

Advertisement