Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable way to overclock graphics card?

Options
  • 22-06-2007 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Ive read this somewhere but since lostthe link so ive been trying this myself..

Ive been attempting to overclock the GTX somewhat to get a higher 3DMARK score :)

So far what ive been doing is.. overclocking the core til I can go anymore and then reset that and start with the memory and do the same.. once I find the 2 highest settings I can get Ill put them both to it...

No so far ive only overclocked the core by 40 - 60Mhz (ill check when I get home cause im not sure it could be more)

and ive got an extra 400 points in 3DMARK06 which brought me up to above 12200!

Is my theory right in some way of overclocking the card..? What are good temps to be having?

Mine are idling 59 degrees

Also ive got two blue screens so that cant be healty like! Its my own dumb fault I was using the nvidia overclocking thing and it made it see I could go higher and when I tried the same settings in Riva tuner it frooze and crashed on me

Thanks

daz

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

use ati tool or riva tuner.

riva tuner is handy as you can set what you want ur fan to run at when ur card reaches a certin temp.

you need a stress program so use ati tool and use that box.if you start seeing artys drop it down a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

DeafVision,

this obsession with 3dmark of yours is getting unhealthy.

Maybe hold off on the overclocking until you find you need to for extra smooth gameplay. Lower temps are much nicer to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea I was waiting for someone to say that! I know theres no point in doing it! Its just a score right?

I dunno its something id like to get the hang off for when I build a new system..

Contemplating a nice living room pc for games that use a joypad with a TV or A 30" monitor and another GTX

If I was to go the TV pc id buy all cheaper parts and overclock :)

Using 3DMARK is the one good way I have of telling if im getting an increase in performance.

So im not really trying to beat everyone else lol just learning to overclock!

daz

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

You have a retirement plan right????

All that money....send me some.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

gfx overclocking (imho) is only good for a few benchmarks, not for 24*7 use. A 15% increase (best case senario), will provide a 10% increase in performance (best case senario).
    Oblivion will not look any better going from 30 fps to 33, and you won't even notice the difference in Quake 3, going from 350 fps to 380...
    It's not like processors, where you can overclock a cheap proc to sometimes 60-100% and gain substantial performance everywhere ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

DeafVision wrote:
    Yea I was waiting for someone to say that! I know theres no point in doing it! Its just a score right?

I dunno its something id like to get the hang off for when I build a new system..

Contemplating a nice living room pc for games that use a joypad with a TV or A 30" monitor and another GTX

If I was to go the TV pc id buy all cheaper parts and overclock :)

Using 3DMARK is the one good way I have of telling if im getting an increase in performance.

So im not really trying to beat everyone else lol just learning to overclock!

daz

3Dmark is a crap way to test performance boosts. If i run it 5 times in a row the points will vary <500. Your best bet is to do a time demo in say quake4/doom3/prey/bf2142 ect ect. Run it ans see how many frames you render. Then overclcok and repeat. And for the love of god use atitool .26 and uninstall that ntune bullsh1t. It makes so many pc's unstable. Also 59@ idle is very bad. You must have terrible aireflow in that case for some reason. If the temps dropped you should be able to go 100mhz over on the core speed on standard.

Are you sure it was idling? It wasn't stressing it as you were watching the temps? I pushed my X1900XT up to XTX speeds last night, 73C under load. Think ill just get a new card next year, don't like heating my room during summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

my cards at 60c atm ideal but the room is very hot but the card will only go up 5-10 c when on load.(i love the Ultra cooler :D)

Advertisement