Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Broadband Wireless

Options
  • 22-06-2007 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

I just got Metro Broadband installed today. Now I want to make it Wireless throughout the house. The modem that they gave me is a Thompson THG520What is the best way to go wireless?

Should I buy a wireless router, or a wireless access point?

Thanks,
    Randomer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

wirless access point ( same name wirless router) and price start from about 50 to 200 euro. i have belkin it works fine but would preffer linksys WR series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

wasim21k wrote:
    wirless access point ( same name wirless router)

A wireless access point is not necessarily a wireless router.

You'll need to make sure the device you buy can perform routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Argos call them cable routers.

Any 4 port Ethernet + wifi + fifth ethernet WAN port instead of an ADSL port.

A wireless Access point isn't a router. It would only allow one PC on the Modem and provide no firewall.

A router will also have firewall.

Setup first with Ethernet cable. The WAN port should connect to the cable Modem and be set to DHCP

Then your PC DNS & Gateway is the IP address of the Router, unless you uses DHCP on the LAN & WiFi, which does the Gateway & DNS settings automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 semicolon

i have a belkin rooter and use digiweb but i am not able to make my rooter secure from other people using it. please can you help

i also have an xbox 360 elite and a wii that i want to use on line for xbox live etc will this have an effect on my xbox live experience

thanks simon:cool:

Advertisement