Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa for a year... anybody done it?

Options
  • 22-06-2007 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of going to South Africa for a year with a mate who's going out there to train to be a pilot. It's a very daunting idea though but I see it as a fantastic opportunity that I should take up while I have the chance.

Has anyone lived there for any length of time? What's it like?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 botvot

It's lovely, but then again, I'm a South African!

Where is your friend going to be based? What will you be doing in this time? I can supply you with information if you want.

I met my husbad there, he came to study his Master's and I met him at the university. He longs to go back as he really loves the country. Most people visiting SA fall in love because it is a very friendly, warm place where people laugh easily. Of course there are problems with safety/crime, but you have to know where to go and what to avoid etc etc, just like any other place.

Give me some more info and I can fill you in on costs and things to do etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

eskimo wrote:
    I'm thinking of going to South Africa for a year with a mate who's going out there to train to be a pilot. It's a very daunting idea though but I see it as a fantastic opportunity that I should take up while I have the chance.

Has anyone lived there for any length of time? What's it like?

Thanks

Bring your sense of humor , and have your cash flow for the year sorted and you should be fine.

The former is very important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 killerspec

You asked what you should try out while you are there!!!! Everything. As it is an awesome country with lovely wheather there is so much to do. Try skydiving as it is as cheap as chips and then there is surfing down in durban, you can try mountain climbing in the drakensburg and you have to go upto Krugerpark for at least a week. Make loads of friends and truely enjoy the night life.

I take it that you are going to be staying in joburg ( Johannesburg) and your mate is learning out of Lanseria Airport. If that is the case then you have some stunning place that are just around the corner. By a copy of the lonely planet guide and spend a few days reading it. Also take ever option you have to go and braai (bbq) with the folks that you meet and hope that the place you land up living in has a pool for those lazy days. Like any where else in the world there are certian places and things that one should do or stay away from as to keep safe and I would advise that you find out as to keep safe.

Last yet not least make sure that you have fun and live it large while you are there and there aint mainy I have met that land up leaving so good luck and kick ass.

Advertisement