Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McCullough lays down challenge to Dunne

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No disrespect, but what gain can either man get from victory. Wayne should be forcefully retired for his own safety and Dunne will be simply taking two steps back should he fight Wayne, and even if he wins, what credibility has it got.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭delrun

I know what you mean, I agree the pocket rocket needs to be put to bed, I think it would be a great benefit tough to Dunne to mix it up with Wayne he has solid experience and I think he could learn a lot from the fight, especially if there is any show boating from Bernard’s behalf or dropping his guard Wayne will be in there and will eat him up if he acts up. I just feel it could be a decent test for Dunne that’s needed because to be honest he has not had a tough digging match since Voronin and i reckon there is still some life left in the Wayne fella that could expose some faults with Dunne that need to be sorted before he takes a step up. Just my thoughts could be way out but really do support bernard and hope he does get that world title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

i'd like to see it, when i was younger i was meant to go down and spar with mccullogh for an upcoming fight and could not make it-dunne did and i heard he gave wayne a boxing lesson! this was when we where about 18.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I think it would be actually good for Bernard. He gets to fight a high calibre fight before going for a world title. Let's face it, he hasn't faced anyone of Wayne's quality yet.

Wayne's quality??

Wayne has been punch drunk for the past 4-5 years.
    Maybe had it been then, you could argue it would do
    Bernard's career good, but what does it do now
    only earn him a nice payday, which I will admit
    he should take. But to say it does Bernard good or makes
    out he's the real deal is inaccurate.

Let's get real fellas. Boxing is suffereing enough without
    these ridiculous matchups of nearly men V complete has-beens.

Bernard needs to get the job done tonight, fight the number 1
    after this and then a legitimate crack at a real world title.
    Fighting Wayne loses him even more credibility than he has already
    lost from the previous crop, of lets be honest, very poor opponents.

I'm rooting for Dunne, but I want him to prove to me that he can
    mix it with the top 10 in the WBA, WBC and IBF.......

Wayne belongs in the crowd and he should have retired
    years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

walshb wrote:
    Wayne's quality??

Wayne has been punch drunk for the past 4-5 years.
    Maybe had it been then, you could argue it would do
    Bernard's career good, but what does it do now
    only earn him a nice payday, which I will admit
    he should take. But to say it does Bernard good or makes
    out he's the real deal is inaccurate.

Let's get real fellas. Boxing is suffereing enough without
    these ridiculous matchups of nearly men V complete has-beens.

Bernard needs to get the job done tonight, fight the number 1
    after this and then a legitimate crack at a real world title.
    Fighting Wayne loses him even more credibility than he has already
    lost from the previous crop, of lets be honest, very poor opponents.

I'm rooting for Dunne, but I want him to prove to me that he can
    mix it with the top 10 in the WBA, WBC and IBF.......

Wayne belongs in the crowd and he should have retired
    years ago

I think Wayne McCullough should have retired years ago(I think we all do) but even though he is well past his best he isn't really 'shot'(going by his last outing against Larios) . He'd still give anyone at 122 lbs a tough fight but would be unlikely to beat another guy in the top 10 .

I think if Wayne was some foreign fighter who we had no emotional attachment to we would see this as a good test for Dunne before he fights for a World title . Wayne would give Dunne a good 12 rounds and at a good hard pace forcing Dunne to work for every minute .

I think there's the possibility if Dunne only defends his European title before facing Molitor and doesn't fight Wayne that Pickering will have been his hardest test and tbh that's not quite good enough . I think Wayne would still bring a tougher fight than Pickering did and from Dunne's point of view it would be the perfect opponent before stepping up for a World title .

Sort of like how Victor Rabanales was to Wayne McCullough .
    I don't want Wayne fighting , but if he does have to fight then at least let another Irish fighter learn a lot from it .

I watched 'Down the Streets of Dreams' recently , it's a documentary about Wayne McCullough from when he was 10-0-0 till he became a World champion . At the time McCullough said he's like to be finished by the time he was 30:( .......he's just another case of a fighter who went on too long .

So why doesn't Dunne just get the punchbag in as a sparring partner.
    Surely his camp can spare the paying public this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A few years ago this would have been a fight worth watching. A this stage I can't see any benefit to either man from this fight. It's not good at all to see McCullough back fighting.

walshb wrote:
    So why doesn't Dunne just get the punchbag in as a sparring partner.
    Surely his camp can spare the paying public this???

(A) as you know sparring isn't the same as a fight(although McCullough might be a useful sparring partner for him) . I dunno if McCullough would agree to just be a sparring partner though , despite his deteriation he still has ambition .

(B) It gets Dunne a good win on paper and one that the sanctioning bodies(especially the WBC who love McCullough) would be impressed by .

(C) Money , this could bring in a huge crowd and if somewhere bigger than the point was found with the right advertising they could get 12-15,000 for it if say the likes of Duddy and Lee are featured on the undercard .

and we all know in boxing , if it makes money.......it makes sense .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I agree with big ears-it would be good for dunnes record and i dont think it would be that easy either, im a romantic and would be up for this fight-as long as mccullogh is not hurt its all good in my opinion..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

despite wayne having seen better days he would possibly still be Dunnes toughest opponent yet.If they want a world title fight this would be a good warm up.
    Personally i just dont like the idea of Wayne fighting again,afraid it will do some serious long term damage.Surely he mad and kept decent money from his prime

raven136 wrote:
    despite wayne having seen better days he would possibly still be Dunnes toughest opponent yet.If they want a world title fight this would be a good warm up.
    Personally i just dont like the idea of Wayne fighting again,afraid it will do some serious long term damage.Surely he mad and kept decent money from his prime

It's not about the money , Wayne has made good money from his career and is now a trainer(and a very good one at that) . He has trained Enrique Ornelas(fought to a MD with Winky Wright) , Librado Andrade(lost a decision to Mikkel Kessler for the WBC/WBA titles and is Ornelas' brother) and Alex Arthur(former British , commonwealth and European champion who's fighting for te WBO title next) .

That's 3 fighters of a very good quality he's started off with and I'm sure he'll only be able to get fighters of a higher stature .Trainers receive(normally) 10% of a fighters purse , which isn't bad considering fighters would usually only get 40-20% of their purse .

Like Holyfield Wayne is doing this for pride , he still believes he can be a champion again and unfortunately he may get hurt before he realises he can't .

Big Ears wrote:
    It's not about the money , Wayne has made good money from his career and is now a trainer(and a very good one at that) . He has trained Enrique Ornelas(fought to a MD with Winky Wright) , Librado Andrade(lost a decision to Mikkel Kessler for the WBC/WBA titles and is Ornelas' brother) and Alex Arthur(former British , commonwealth and European champion who's fighting for te WBO title next) .

That's 3 fighters of a very good quality he's started off with and I'm sure he'll only be able to get fighters of a higher stature .Trainers receive(normally) 10% of a fighters purse , which isn't bad considering fighters would usually only get 40-20% of their purse .

Like Holyfield Wayne is doing this for pride , he still believes he can be a champion again and unfortunately he may get hurt before he realises he can't .

Big ears, the money has something to do with it. He sees the Point filled to capacity and sees money. Plain and simple. He's not foolish and is not getting in a ring 5 years past it against Dunne all because he simply believes he can still be a champion. It's a handy payday for them both and for that reason I can't blame either of them. And how does a scrap with Dunne prove to Wayne he's still championship material??...Wayne I think is suffering already from the effects of boxing if he believes he's the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Seems like a lot of people here see that any fight between Dunne and McCullough would be a foregone conclusion in favour of Dunne. I haven't seen any of Dunnes fights for a while now but I'm quite surprised by this. Is Wayne likely to be that $hit now that he couldn't take a decision off Dunne over 12 rounds? Would it come down to conditioning or would Dunne be superior in all departments?

walshb wrote:
    Big ears, the money has something to do with it. He sees the Point filled to capacity and sees money. Plain and simple. He's not foolish and is not getting in a ring 5 years past it against Dunne all because he simply believes he can still be a champion. It's a handy payday for them both and for that reason I can't blame either of them. And how does a scrap with Dunne prove to Wayne he's still championship material??...Wayne I think is suffering already from the effects of boxing if he believes he's the best

I'm sure he won't mind the money but I'd say it's not the main factor .
    Well a loss to Dunne proves he's not up to it at the highest level anymore and a win means he's at least better than European level which means he might(but not certainly) still be at World level .

El Tel it's Dunne's skill and class that would have him beat McCullough , McCullough would still be better conditioned and have a higher workrate than Dunne even at 36 . McCullough is a bit like Hopkins he looks after his body incredibly and trains extremely hard and will have kept himself very fit since he last fought . The difference is Hopkins has a brilliant defence and Wayne has not , thus he has taken and takes far too many punches . If Wayne McCullough wasn't going to be getting hit I certainly wouldn't object with him continuing to fight .

McCullough would have a chance at beating Dunne but his porous defence and Dunne's accuracy means that once Dunne doesn't fade too much and is able to keep a good workrate he will win on points .

Advertisement