Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House prices in Charlesland.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

neets wrote: »
    i just want a cheaper mortgage!

I was in the same situation. Do what I did, get someone else to value it at the "right price"!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

fishdog wrote: »
    I was in the same situation. Do what I did, get someone else to value it at the "right price"!:D

hi fishdog, have pm'd you.

hi fishdog, have pm'd you.
    PM sent back! Let me know how you get on:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭DTinthegrove

At last!! Some one has come in and put their house on for sale at a reduced selling price with respect to other houses (that have been on the market for months and month and months) Would you pay €545k when you can have a simular house for €475k? Surely the €545k will have to move down now?......

Great tactic's wish them all the best in selling....still think there is another 15%+ to come off before we get value.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

I see the agent who is selling it was the subject of a Prime Time investigates report into standards in the real estate industry. Their operation was reviewed in less than glowing terms. can see why. For a start the property as described is not and end of terrace; its a mid terrace. i expect that he will get a bidding frenzy as a result of his silly asking price and will probably get it up to about €500k. The €545 houses you mention are the semi d version which always puzzled me a little in terms of price. IE they are smaller at the back than EOTs and mid terraces. There is only one EOT for sale in Charlesland. About 2 mid terace 3 beds and 2 semi d. Dont expect a panic. Incidentally the number of for sale signs has steadily been replaced by sold signs of late thank God. I havn't heard of anyone throwing themselves off Bray Head as a result of lost investment. If you do, please advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

At last!! Some one has come in and put their house on for sale at a reduced selling price with respect to other houses (that have been on the market for months and month and months) Would you pay €545k when you can have a simular house for €475k? Surely the €545k will have to move down now?......

Are you referring to this ;) (Probably not as this is end of Terrace House.)

www.daft.ie/1347998

"Check the WEB – all 3 bedroom houses in Charlesland are priced from €495,000 to a whopping €545,000. OUR PRICE €475,000!! - Don’t hang around! If you’re loan approved, and ready to go – you really shouldn’t miss this amazing opportunity – Please register interest to - Michael at 087 616 5751 and arrange a viewing."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

DonJose wrote: »
    Are you referring to this ;) (Probably not as this is end of Terrace House.)

www.daft.ie/1347998

that is a "mid-terrace" - the end of terrace houses are the ones with side access. Looks like a good price - theres one at the end of my green asking 545k

"looks like a good price..........."
    Relative to other over priced properties (?)

BUT it still 11 times the average national salary!!

A mortgage at 92% of value, €437k would cost €2,800 a month over 20 years, €2500 or 25 years!! :eek:Not what I call value........BUT each to their own I guess.

111 Charlesland Court 3 bed end of terrace

now at €450 asking price!!

Looks like there could be a knock on effect that could restore value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

So tell me, what were the developer 3-bed end of terraces going for in the last phase of Charlesland Park? Lets put some perspective on things.

add in edit: The end of terrace for 111 The Court is an actual end of terrace which is smaller (105 sq.m) than the 'mid way along' end of terrace of say No. 47 The Wood (120 sq.m). So thats the difference DT.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

As for the price in the last phase of the development I don't know, what's the relevance? I'm not suggest if you bought at this phase you are in negative equity......But some of ya paper money has gone that for sure.(as has mine)

Yes the sq metres will make a diffrence in price of course but....

We now have 3 bed houses ranging from €540k to €450k which is great news for buyers and shows that like the rest of the country property prices are starting to become more realistic. Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

loyatemu wrote: »
    Looks like a good price

Almost €3k/month mortgage over 20 years for a shoe box. No thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"looks like a good price..........."
    Relative to other over priced properties (?)

obviously
    donjose wrote:
    Almost €3k/month mortgage over 20 years for a shoe box. No thanks

probably not many cheaper 3 beds in greystones, yes its mad, but its all relative. Also the market has to bottom out sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

We now have 3 bed houses ranging from €540k to €450k which is great news for buyers and shows that like the rest of the country property prices are starting to become more realistic. Thats all.

Without going into defining market value, I am of the good impression that the masonry built houses shall have a greater value over the timber framed houses. Additionally, any houses that have upgraded the basic developer's spec i.e. fixtures and fittings, floor and wall finishes, toilet roll holder, style & finish of kitchen, style & finish of bathroom (they're different on each side of the spine road but people have been tinkering), or even an attic conversion - all these added works will start to creep in and an appropriate price for the property will emerge. So if this be the case then the test is for the Auctioneer to properly value the home for it's really worth. Afterall, a headline on myhome.ie or daft.ie may be priced higher but its up to you to see what you get for your price difference.

But about these 'realistic' prices, is it just a fact that maybe the people who own these houses NEED to sell their house due to a chain or other financial commitment? So dare prey on those in a difficult position and get yourself €25,000 to €50,000 of a 3-bed in Charlesland?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DaGaffer

astrofluff wrote: »
    Without going into defining market value, I am of the good impression that the masonry built houses shall have a greater value over the timber framed houses.

Second time this is mentioned; I let it go the first time, and I don't want to enter into any Charlesland part 1 vs part 2 contest, however...

We bought in the Park after getting the expert opinion of a few well-established architects/engineers and a lot of house hunting. Timber framed houses are in no way inferior to masonry built and actually have some advantages, including the exceptional sound proofing.

Apparently 70% of houses in the western world are of timber construction (as opposed to block).

However we live in a far damper climate than many other western countries, this means that we should be a little more careful in how we construct our timber frame homes in Ireland than say Canada. I worked on a fantastic Canadian timber frame house in Greystones and had lengthy talks with experts on these fantastic houses. This particular house featured in many magazines. I would be of the view that if they are constructed properly they are superior to block homes in many ways (better insulation, more environmentally friendly, faster to construct, easier to wire and plumb).

I would also think that if corners were cut during construction you may have serious problems a couple of years later! For example my sister’s apartment (Charlesland) had no damp course under her porch (a major no-no that the builders admitted to recently!), if it was of timber frame construction there would have been far more serious consequences as rot would have set in.

Bear in mind that all of the houses in Charlesland are built with lots of wood, bricks and cement. They just use different proportions of them depending on whether they are timber frame or not. With modern construction methods the lines can be quite blurred between timber frame and block construction buildings.

The thing that I notice more is that some phases in Charlesland were fitted with completely different and far higher quality doors and windows than others.

Courtesy of the Central Bank:

fundamentals.jpg

Prices are coming down nationwide, prices in Charleslands are coming down.

How much prices will drop in individual areas, such as Greystones/Charlesland, will depend on:

location!
    location!
    location!

astrofluff wrote: »

But about these 'realistic' prices, is it just a fact that maybe the people who own these houses NEED to sell their house due to a chain or other financial commitment? So dare prey on those in a difficult position and get yourself €25,000 to €50,000 of a 3-bed in Charlesland?

You see this is it. People that NEED to sell at a certain price aren't going to sell if they aren't flexible about the price, so we could be playing stalemate for years! (if they can afford to play stalemate for years that is)

If people are in financial difficulty buying a standard 3 bed home then the banks should never have given them the money in the first place.(?) The availablity of cheap credit over stupid time frames like 35 years is one reason which drove prices beyond the fundermental levels.

Charlesland is a good first time buyer, young family choice if you want to live in Greystones which is great news. And its great that we now have 3beds ranging from €540k to €450k ......BUT they may have to fall further if people don't want to pay €2,800k a month for a standard 3 bed house.

+1 DTinthegrove
    if people don't want to pay €2,800k a month for a standard 3 bed house.

They are far smaller and than what I would call standard 3 bed. The extra money you pay is for the location. Although many people feel it is worth it, many don,t!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

+1 DTinthegrove

They are far smaller and than what I would call standard 3 bed. The extra money you pay is for the location. Although many people feel it is worth it, many don,t!

I really don't think the houses are so small in Charlesland, unless you're looking in a much higher price bracket or else down the country. We were house hunting for 3 years before we decided to buy here and saw quite a few THREE bed houses in various parts of Dublin that were smaller than the TWO bed houses in Charlesland! I would say from our experience that the 3 bed sizes here of approx 95-105 sq metres is at least the standard - for new builds anyway.

• Advertisement

I really don't think the houses are so small in Charlesland,
    Are you an elf??:D:D:D Sorry only joking!!
    quite a few THREE bed houses in various parts of Dublin that were smaller than the TWO bed houses in Charlesland
    Honestly?? Can you say where ?? I can not imagine how you would you fit a bed into bedrooms (A4 size) in those houses!! Was it in a toy shop??:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Are you an elf??:D:D:D Sorry only joking!!

Honestly?? Can you say where ?? I can not imagine how you would you fit a bed into bedrooms (A4 size) in those houses!! Was it in a toy shop??:D:D

Are you a giant? :D:D:D or maybe Prince Charles in disguise so anything besides a palace is a bit of a letdown???:D:D:D

Just had a quick look on My Home at houses in Killiney to see if I was remembering correctly (as we almost bought a 3 bed there that was around 70 sqm): two 3 beds in Abberly in Killiney 1 @ 69 sqm €510,000, another @ 84 sqm €565,000; one 3 bed in Seafield Court, 84 sqm €560,000; one 3 bed in Firgrove, 70 sqm €545,000. Just some results from a VERY quick look at My Home.

So, I don't think we're doing too badly in Charlesland, I knew there was SOME reason why we decided to buy here after 3 years of searching :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

Honestly?? Can you say where ?? I can not imagine how you would you fit a bed into bedrooms (A4 size) in those houses!! Was it in a toy shop??:D:D[/QUOTE]

I live in one of "those" houses - I have a king size in one and a double in the other and they fit quite comfortably - neither do I think the gardens are small, by todays standards, and when very few developments are putting in a garden at all - now,I'll shuffle off to my miniscule house and wonder where it all went so wrong........

I agree I don't think they are small 3 beds at all......but nor do i think they are good value (yet) even if they are now price at €450k, but at least they are going in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

I have lived in both the fairways and charlesland court and I feel bad even passing the place now. Horrible money being asked for a fairly bland neighbourhood- and I am not trying to be offensive. The place just has an industrial feel to it, the houses have walls of finest greaseproof paper and the place has no feel of community. When I was leaving there were like 10 units in a row for sale.....so lots of people feel the same. Like I say I rented on both sides of the road and just couldn't put my heart into buying. Even if prices dropped by 10% I don't think I could be tempted back. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Lumbarda wrote: »
    I really don't think the houses are so small in Charlesland, unless you're looking in a much higher price bracket or else down the country. We were house hunting for 3 years before we decided to buy here and saw quite a few THREE bed houses in various parts of Dublin that were smaller than the TWO bed houses in Charlesland! I would say from our experience that the 3 bed sizes here of approx 95-105 sq metres is at least the standard - for new builds anyway.

They look tiny on the outside but are quite big on the inside, albeit that the kitchen and dining room are one and the same. Sitting room is a fair size and the rooms are decent. Downstairs toilet too. Back gardens are postage stamps mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

I have lived in both the fairways and charlesland court and I feel bad even passing the place now. Horrible money being asked for a fairly bland neighbourhood- and I am not trying to be offensive. The place just has an industrial feel to it, the houses have walls of finest greaseproof paper and the place has no feel of community. When I was leaving there were like 10 units in a row for sale.....so lots of people feel the same. Like I say I rented on both sides of the road and just couldn't put my heart into buying. Even if prices dropped by 10% I don't think I could be tempted back. Sorry.

Have to say I disagree with you. I do not think it is bland at all and has a lot more going for it in terms of setting, looks and ammenties than most new developments around the country.

And it is still a new development. Community doesn't come with the development. The community is something that develops itself as the area matures.

I also fail to see where you get your "industrial feel" view. This is a fairly vague and unsubstantiated point really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fluffyduffy

Call a spade a spade for Gods sake!! They are tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Call a spade a spade for Gods sake!! They are tiny.
    Care to elaborate on this or should I just dismiss you as a troll?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

I have lived in both the fairways and charlesland court and I feel bad even passing the place now. Horrible money being asked for a fairly bland neighbourhood- and I am not trying to be offensive. The place just has an industrial feel to it,
    Time to go down coal pit now with me hovis butties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement