Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House prices in Charlesland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

wah wah wah

banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

Originally Posted by Hero Of College
    "I have lived in both the fairways and charlesland court and I feel bad even passing the place now. "

Aye, that will be 't fumes from 't coal chimneys - Squire spends all 'is brass on 't greaseproof paper walls and won't buy 't smokeless fuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fluffyduffy

Care to elaborate on this or should I just dismiss you as a troll?

Sorry I was at work and the pager went so I could not explain my point properly earlier.

All I was trying to say is that people can argue until the cows come home about how Charlesland is a nice place to live, are they worth the money etc. etc. all of these points are matters of opinion.

I stayed in my friends two bed in Charlesland. What is not a matter of opinion is that they are not big! It is a fact that they are small! There is nothing to argue about there. They have a small floor area and very small gardens.

BTW I don’t live in a big place myself, (a small apartment). I can argue that it is a great apartment, but I can not argue that it is over 70 metres squared!

Personally I like Charlesland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

All I was trying to say is that people can argue until the cows come home about how Charlesland is a nice place to live, are they worth the money etc. etc. all of these points are matters of opinion.

No truer words have been spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

What is not a matter of opinion is that they are not big! It is a fact that they are small

It is not a fact either. Perception of size is relative and therefore is as much an opinion as saying that Charlesland is nice (or not).

I happen to agree that the houses (esp. the two beds) are small (relatively speaking), however I have been to see three bed houses elsewhere that have the same floorspace. Even the showhouse in trying to turn the third "bedroom" into a bedroom ended up with the bed so close to the fitted wardrobe you couldn't fully open the doors of it! I also lived in a one bed apartment before that had only slightly less total floorspace than this house.

I've been steering clear of offering an opinion on this thread for ages as I'm conscious of my role as a Moderater. However, as someone who lives in a two bed, is happy to be in a two bed and have no interest in selling right now I feel the house is worth every penny of the price I paid for it (I was in the first phase so paid a lot less than some of the later phases) and appreciate that I have financial leverage thanks to the percieved increase in the value of my home.

That said, the one thing that's really relevant is the price of a house. Value is a perception. I could, no doubt, have a valuer come and value my little two bed at €450k or €300k. The bottom line is how much a house is actually sold for. I hold no stock in what DAFT or MyHome.ie or any other site cares to quote as the asking price for any house but they're a nice guideline to refer to. No more, no less.

• Advertisement

We were in a 2 bed apartment in the Grove up until just over a year ago. The bedrooms were tiny alright. However, the bathroom was a decent size, and the livingroom area was easily as big as any of the houses we looked at while house hunting. We actually had to get rid of some of the furniture when we moved to a 3 bed in Bray!

I haven't been in any of the Charlesland 3 bed houses in a while, but I don't remember them as that much smaller than many of the houses (usually around 30 years old or so) we checked out, or some of the new houses we've seen. The duplexes seem pretty spacious, but I'd say all the steps up could be a turn off for people with prams, lots of shopping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BonnieD

The three bed houses are definitely larger than lots of 3 bed properties out there. Without doubt, the kitchen/dining room area is an exceptional room, and also has a decent amount of cupboard space and counter top space. This is a great family/living room, and I would say a much better room than the kitchen/dining room of the 4 bed houses Ive seen in Eden Gate. There is a need for some more storage space upstairs, but that could be said for a lot of new builds these days. I can categorically state that if I tried to fit all the furniture I have downstairs into any 3 bed house I lived in before (and there's been 5), I wouldn't be able to, or it certainly would be a tight squeeze! One other point, is that the square footage of the three beds is just below the stamp duty threshold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

I know some guys that are in the trade and the consensus is that Charlesland was knocked up faster than you can say Juno.

As I said when I left a year ago, there were "For Sale" signs up everywhere. People are leaving Dodge, and for good reason, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I know some guys that are in the trade and the consensus is that Charlesland was knocked up faster than you can say Juno.

As I said when I left a year ago, there were "For Sale" signs up everywhere. People are leaving Dodge, and for good reason, IMHO.

Everywhere? Proportionately to the rest of the country you might want to add. There are a couple of "Sold" signs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the 3 beds are slightly larger than the average 3-bed semi, but all the extra space is downstairs. The bedrooms are small. Its useful to have the extra space in the kitchen\dining area, but the small bedroom would be a problem if you had older kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭DTinthegrove

I feel the house is worth every penny of the price I paid for it (I was in the first phase so paid a lot less than some of the later phases) and appreciate that I have financial leverage thanks to the percieved increase in the value of my home.

That said, the one thing that's really relevant is the price of a house. Value is a perception......The bottom line is how much a house is actually sold for. I hold no stock in what DAFT or MyHome.ie or any other site cares to quote as the asking price for any house but they're a nice guideline to refer to. No more, no less.

I too feel the 3 bedroom house I live in was at good value when I bought it, or I wouldn't have bought it.....BUT.....I know that now even at €450k (highest €540k!) I would NOT buy my own house as I would put myself under too much financial pressure.

So is there an arguement that prices could come back to what we bought them at say in 2003-2004? OK, wage inflation would mean I would expect to sell at a bit more?.... but may be not ?..... as interest rates have doubled and you can no longer borrow as much from you friendly bank manager.

I agree Daft, My home is a good guideline and as there is very little actual sales data made available it is probably over relied upoon. However, even if it is not an accurate picture of what houses are sold at, you could argue it shows trends.......and we all know which way its going.

I agree DT, the asking prices on DAFT and myhome are indicitave of the thrends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Euopean

We are looking to buy in Charlesland and have seen that 3 bed houses are now for sale from around 480. Do you think they are selling?? Do you think preices will go lower?? Its really hard to know whether to invest now or risk waiting and see what happens??
    Also does anyone have a price for an attice conversion in the three beds (with proper stairs) thanks for the advice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

15-20k for an attic conversion

as for prices, who knows... most observers think prices have further to fall - if I were buying I'd be making offers well under the asking price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Euopean

looking at three bed end of terr that is 475 seems to be much cheaper than the ohers, in some respects could be a bargain ooooooooooh I just don't know desperate to get are own home and fed up with renting but don't want to loose money and land up with huge mortgage!! I wonder if prices will drop further, need that crystal ball!!

threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭DTinthegrove

Euopean wrote: »
    looking at three bed end of terr that is 475 seems to be much cheaper than the ohers, in some respects could be a bargain ooooooooooh I just don't know desperate to get are own home and fed up with renting but don't want to loose money and land up with huge mortgage!! I wonder if prices will drop further, need that crystal ball!!

Also a 3 bedroom on at €450k.......There is no need to be in a rush, just sit back and wait for things to drop further.

House prices aren't going to start shooting up that's for sure. When you feel comfortable that you can afford the house you want over a 20 year or less period then that's the time to buy.

OR put in an offer at the price you can afford and go from there. You, the buyer has the power. At some point sellers will have to get realistic if they really need/want to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DaGaffer

I too feel the 3 bedroom house I live in was at good value when I bought it, or I wouldn't have bought it.....BUT.....I know that now even at €450k (highest €540k!) I would NOT buy my own house as I would put myself under too much financial pressure.

That's fine for you. But a huge number of us have bought at the time when a 3 bedroom was 450k. Do you want us to lose money :confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

DaGaffer wrote: »
    That's fine for you. But a huge number of us have bought at the time when a 3 bedroom was 450k. Do you want us to lose money :confused:.

Noone wants to see others losing money and trapped in negative equity. :)

But if I was bidding on your gaff DaGaffer, I'd put in the lowest possible bid I could and I wouldn't care if you lost money or not. Not my problem to look out for you! It's purely business

Buyers owe you nothing so if you bought at 450k, don't think that's what's it's worth and buyers are compelled to bid that.
    Hope that clears up the confusion.

OT: I do read this forum and while I don't know the area, Charlesland is the most fake and English sounding place name I've heard. I'm not running down the area, just my opinion on the name, that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

You don't lose money if you don't sell.

If you had to sell (because you bought something you couldn't afford to pay for) would you actually expect someone to pay over the going rate out of sympathy ?

• Advertisement

Stay on-topic folks. Hero, your post is verging on trolling. Have a read of the charter please.

Reverse it. Do you want others to lose money by paying 450K if someone else is willing to sell them the same thing cheaper? :confused:
    You have your house now be happy.
    What about everybody else.
    Dont be so selfish, the cheaper houses become the better is it for the next person coming along to purchase! :)

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Forgive me for not seeing it as such. But I fail to see that the current stagnancy in the housing market, rising rents, lower confidence, stricter loan conditions is really benefiting anyone. First time buyers entering the market or rather wishing to enter it , are more likely to be stuck in a renting rut now than they were this time last year or the previous year. So much for true ''value''.

The current stagnation would be no problem if our economy wasnt so dependent on the construction industry.
    In fact if it wasnt dependant on construction then a fall in prices would be good for the economy, less inflation = keepin more jobs in the country because we would not be losing our competitiveness. Less money to be spent on mortgage payments = more money to be spent in the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Forgive me for not seeing it as such. But I fail to see that the current stagnancy in the housing market, rising rents, lower confidence, stricter loan conditions is really benefiting anyone. First time buyers entering the market or rather wishing to enter it , are more likely to be stuck in a renting rut now than they were this time last year or the previous year. So much for true ''value''.

Plenty of us out here hammie who could have bought, but did not wish to enter the market at the prices that were prevalent. Not everybody ran around to every bank and said "How much will ya give me" and went with the one who gave them the most and bought the most expensive place they could afford.

Few points to note:
    • Market is far from stagnant. Its indisputably falling.
    • Rents are also falling, taking longer to get tenants due to massive oversupply.
    • My confidence that I will get to buy a house at what I consider to be a
      good price is increasing daily.
    • Stricter loan conditions will have three excellent effects, keep affordability and therefore prices down, make speculating more expensive, avoid a sub-prime meltdown scenario.
    • People renting are paying less than they were last year. Are homeowners?

But you are still renting I presume and your assertion regarding falling rents is incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

This thread should be about "house prices in Charlesland"! Clearly those that claimed that prices were going down were correct!

However Hammie I must reply to this:
    But I fail to see that the current stagnancy in the housing market, rising rents, lower confidence, stricter loan conditions is really benefiting anyone.

Well like it or not it does benifit some.

1) Rising rents (if this is the case, I am not sure) benifits the landlords!! Their repayments have gone up due to intrest rate increases. Rising rents encourage more tennants to buy. It is now cheaper for them to buy too.

2) Lower confidence, drives down prices. This benifits first time buyers. The market was way over priced and now it is becoming more realistic. This had to happen sooner or later.

3) Stricter loan conditions. You have to admit some people took out loans that they will never have a hope of repaying!! They got in way over their heads. Now they are paying the price. Perhaps stricter loan conditions would have saved them. It went crazy for too long, banks were lending silly amounts (110%) to anyone for anything for up to 35 years!!

+1 jackal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

any reason for thinking rents aren't falling because there is plenty of evidence to the contrary

Fish, all of the above points have been raised, thrashed out, whatever on several occasions on this thread.
    My point has always been; that conditions driven by negative sentiment, jitters, fear, nonsense,''true value'',scaremongering,etc. will ultimately be bad for the country.
    At the moment forecasts range from 0 to 3% economic growth fot the year. The worst since the mid nineties. You; who I might add have always been a ''poor first home buyers'' protagananist;are now asserting that this is happy time for landlords with multiple properties? Well lets drink to that, hey.
    Regarding 110% morteges given out. Pure hype. Anyone who got 100% in Ireland were of the ''can afford'' bracket. They will hand in keys and drive repossesion figures up. For the most part;true homemakers (for want of a better description) are feeling the pinch of rate increases but will benefit from cuts later in the year. Interestingly '' spiralling'' interest rate increases were part of the ''everythings f***ed '' mantra earlier in this thread.
    The same folk will have been focused on the destruction of Bertie Ahern for the last few months. Now thats done, they can refocus their particlar idea of vision on their principle objective; wrecking our economy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

........ (for want of a better description) are feeling the pinch of rate increases but will benefit from cuts later in the year...........

are you just lashing out "tried and trusted" lines for the laugh hammie?

for a start Ireland isn't like the states in that you can "hand back the keys". In Ireland if you do that after the bank has sold your property if theres still an outstanding balance on the mortgage they can (and will) come after you for the the remainder.

also what on earth makes you think rates are coming down, ESPECIALLY the news on Monday that eurozone inflation has climbed even higher and the word is that we may see another rate rise on the cards. one things for sure "at best" and more likely though they'll be static for rest of year.

btw still waiting on you to show rents aren't falling ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement