Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House prices in Charlesland.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

iguana wrote:
    There is if somepeople are insistant on making like an ostrich.

I'd suggest you focus on weddings my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's enough virtual handbags-at-dawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭DTinthegrove

dubrunner wrote:
    Again way too much time on your hands.

We know the market has stalled/slowed. There is no reason to keep reiterating the same point.

You're right i've loads of time on my hands...I'm an estate agent:D

Close the tread lets not discuss any more dubrunner has spoken and i'm happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

iguana wrote:
    There is if somepeople are insistant on making like an ostrich.
    Was there a point? Other than some people are recommending that sellers take (get this) up to 155k off their asking price!
    With regard to the the various sites being cited above.
    let me give you an example. 2 bed house in the court was initially priced at 420k. this is about 5-15 above ''normal'' ask for these houses. They dropped to 413 and that was recorded(on the website) as a 1.6% drop. Sale agreed as and from Sat. Last. We are obviously in the midst of a catatrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

We are obviously in the midst of a catatrophe.

No, just likely at the beginning of one.

And to someone who bought an apartment last year with the hope of trading up in the next few years even a small drop in prices could be considered a catastrophe. I know that if I lost €7k I'd be pretty upset. And if they were an investor they have lost both the €7k and the stamp duty.

It's about perspective. Of course it's not a disaster for you. You love your home and plan on living there for the foreseeable future, what the hell does the price you could potentially get for your house matter? But for someone who was banking on the equity their property would "earn" to help them move somewhere else or as an investment it just might be a catastrophe already.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote:
    No, just likely at the beginning of one.

And to someone who bought an apartment last year with the hope of trading up in the next few years even a small drop in prices could be considered a catastrophe. I know that if I lost €7k I'd be pretty upset. And if they were an investor they have lost both the €7k and the stamp duty.

It's about perspective. Of course it's not a disaster for you. You love your home and plan on living there for the foreseeable future, what the hell does the price you could potentially get for your house matter? But for someone who was banking on the equity their property would "earn" to help them move somewhere else or as an investment it just might be a catastrophe already.
    The point I was making on that particular sale was that 420 was ludicrously high. 410 about average. 415 tops. Therefore there was no 7K lost. and no stamp duty either. Again I would stress that the fundamentals of this economy are sound. This govt. for all its faults(there are many) have been competent enough on the economy. There is a correction happening(a necessary one). Prices will stabilise for a time. Commuter counties will recover quicker than others. This was already happening in May. I believe Rathnew is about to be developed and people are buying there already. Again the argument about selling and buying elsewhere is only relevant if you intend to buy in a cheaper market like Leitrim. As an investment, rents are rising. Win win. What is your point?

You're right i've loads of time on my hands...I'm an estate agent:D

Close the tread lets not discuss any more dubrunner has spoken and i'm happy with that.
    Thank you, Dr. Doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Anyone who has bought a home in Charlesland will not lose out.

Property will always stand. Its all speculation. Buying and selling won't be such a free and casual affair. That is all that has changed.

Charlesland is an excellent place to live. That can't be argued with.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'd like you so say the exact same thing in a year's time with confidence. This thread is actually now discussed on the Property Pin and the posters there are laughing at the sheer denial going on. We're at the beginning of a long house price crash. Hell, I'm a homeowner too BTW, but I bought in 2001 and am damn glad that I didn't buy after 2003.

When the dust settles, I expect most who bought after 2003-4 to be in negative equity. In the long term, they'll be ok but if they were specuvestors or "flippers" they will be in real trouble. Also, the 900 jobs just lost in Xerox and the imminent ECB interest rate hike doesn't make me overconfident about the prospects for the Irish property bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

That all depends on when you bought!
    Property will always stand.

Clearly this does not seem to be the case at the moment! There is no magic that makes Ireland (or even Charlesland) immune to a drop in property prices. Pices can not go up faster than inflation forever.
    Charlesland is an excellent place to live.

That is a matter of opinion. I am glad you like it however many people dont. In case you have not noticed a large proportion of it is for sale and has been for a long time. Whats more nothing appears to be selling there. Clearly many people think it does not represent value for money or they can not afford it. Either way prices are dropping there (as they are country wide).

That can't be argued with.

Yeah right!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 EnoughSaid

Yes, no doubt Charlesland will be totally immune from any property crash or any economic hardships that will affect any other part of the country (or the world)!

Some of the people who live in Charlesland seem to behaving like ostriches, are there any ostrich farms in the area?

EnoughSaid wrote:
    Yes, no doubt Charlesland will be totally immune from any property crash or any economic hardships that will affect any other part of the country (or the world)!

Some of the people who live in Charlesland seem to behaving like ostriches, are there any ostrich farms in the area?
    And some people are manic depressents.

For many young (and not so young) people it is anything but depressing!! It means that at long last they may have a chance to buy a place of their own instead of paying a mortgage for someone else:D .

Perhaps they might even be lucky enough to be able to borrow over a period of less than 30 years.

It is now clear that prices have dropped nation wide (even in the paradise of Charlesland). I for one have had enough of the greed that soaring house prices have caused in this country, widening the gap between the haves and have nots. Many people have adopted the "I’m alright Jack, so f**ck you!" attitude to people that have worked hard supporting a family etc. yet still can not afford a house.

If you are happy living in Charlesland (or where ever) be happy for those who will now have an opportunity to own their own place too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 EnoughSaid

Hammie.......No, I am not being a manic depressive. I am just telling it as it is. If you want to live in cloudcuckooland (or the paradise of Charlesland) then that is your problem. You should be pleased for the poorer people who will soon be able to buy a place in your lovely estate.

Why is that those whose outlook is depressing and negative; constantly view those whose outlook is not, as deluded,ostriches, in cloud cuckoo land?. Please;I have no intention of getting into your black cloud with you guys.This constant black outlook shared by many has obviously proved a most effective self fulfilling prophecy where sellers are now nervy, buyers cautious and panic merchants spewing about percieved widening gaps between rich and poor etc. The truth is that getting on the property ladder has always been difficult for young people starting out and the expectation of those same people is so much higher now. They want the house, appliances, furniture, etc. all ready to move into. I am not greedy and have no multiple property interests. I just believe talk of crashes, etc are dismal science forecasts that get headlines and chickens running around in circles without any heads. Incidentally there have been several house transactions in Charlesland in recent weeks. Selling prices on two bed houses have ranged 400k-412k. Hardly a disaster for anyone. I have never said that Charlesland was in a protected bubble. I have said it is within commutable distance from Dublin and that counts for something. And Fish, the for sale signs in charlesland have been there since the start. They have nothing to do with satisfaction rates amongst residents. More to do with investors selling on, etc.

Well guys.Its official. 9% increase in house values for the first 3 months of the year. Irish Indo this morning.
    These figures are of course complete and total BS. It just shows how you can use figures to put a spin on things. However it baffles me why some people have this half empty outlook which precipitates negative spin on almost everything. For what purpose? To help all those poor first time home buyers getting poorer by the day! Come on guys.

If you think it is no harder for people to buy their first house now than 20 years ago you are deluding yourself!!

20 years ago there was no such thing as a 30 year mortgage or a 100% mortgage.

The truth is that getting on the property ladder has always been difficult for young people starting out and the expectation of those same people is so much higher now.

If you look around you people are delighted to get a poorley built matchbox size appartment/townhouse with a tiny garden/patio/balcony with low quality appliences for a very large sum of money! That in my view is low expectations.

A generation ago the average family home was a 3 bed semi det. with a large garden front and back with no management fee!

Fact: The percentage of peoples income that pays for the mortgage is higher now than ever and that is before people spend money on
    appliances, furniture, etc.

And Fish, the for sale signs in charlesland have been there since the start.

Correct, except they do not seem to be selling at the same rate now!
    They have nothing to do with satisfaction rates amongst residents.

I agree, I know alot of people who live there and they all love it. None of them are trying to sell. I am not suggesting that the people who live there are not happy there.
    However it baffles me why some people have this half empty outlook which precipitates negative spin on almost everything.

It also baffles me. We have a strong economy and plenty of jobs for anyone willing to work and now house prices are dropping!!!
    This is great!!! It baffles me how you have such a negative view on this because you say you are not selling and you are not an investor. Do massive house prices that many can not afford give you a feeling of being superior?? A power trip??

fishdog wrote:
    If you think it is no harder for people to buy their first house now than 20 years ago you are deluding yourself!! THERE YOU GO AGAIN. I'M DELUSIONAL.

20 years ago there was no such thing as a 30 year mortgage or a 100% mortgage. 20 YRS AGO THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS AJOB. I THOUGHT 100% MORTGAGES MAKE IT EASY TO GET ON THE PROPERTY LADDER.

If you look around you people are delighted to get a poorley built matchbox size appartment/townhouse with a tiny garden/patio/balcony with low quality appliences for a very large sum of money! That in my view is low expectations. BETTER THAN APOORLY BUILT COUNCIL HOUSE, C'MON THEY'RE NOT THAT BAD.

A generation ago the average family home was a 3 bed semi det. with a large garden front and back with no management fee! AND PRIOR TO 76 THEY PAID RATES. I DONT KNOW WHERE YOU GET YOUR AVERAGES FROM. EVER BEEN TO TALLAGHT?

Fact: The percentage of peoples income that pays for the mortgage is higher now than ever and that is before people spend money on. THIS IS TRUE BUT DISPOSABLE INCOME IS STILL MUCH MUCH GREATER.

Correct, except they do not seem to be selling at the same rate now! HAVE A LOOK FISH. BACK OF THE COURT AND WOOD HAD SEVERAL. ALL GONE NOW. PLENTY OF APTS AVAILABLR ALLRIGHT. FISH, HOUSES ARE STILL SELLING.

I agree, I know alot of people who live there and they all love it. None of them are trying to sell. I am not suggesting that the people who live there are not happy there. OH SORRY FISH, I THOUGHT YOU LIVED HERE TOO?

It also baffles me. We have a strong economy and plenty of jobs for anyone willing to work and now house prices are dropping!!! BUT THEY'RE NOT FISH ACCORDING TO THE AFFOREMENTIONED REPORT.
    This is great!!! It baffles me how you have such a negative view on this because you say you are not selling and you are not an investor. Do massive house prices that many can not afford give you a feeling of being superior?? A power trip .NO IT DOESN'T. I WANT A SLOWDOWN IN THE GROWTH. I JUST BELIEVE AS THE THE ECONOMIST PUTS IT''THE MORE THE WORD RECESSION APPEARS IN THE PRESS, THE MORE LIKELY IT IS THAT WE WILL HAVE ONE''. THE SAME APPLIES TO THE PROPERTY CRASH THAT SO MANY PEOPLE SEEM TO BE WISHING ON US. FISH RELAX ABOUT THE FTBs. THEY'LL BE FINE. THERE IS NOTHING TO SUGGEST THAT HOME OWNERSHIP % WILL DROP.
    And iterestingly enough on the day of the 9% BS report was released, someone is beating up on the old stamp duty reform argument again.

fishdog wrote:
    For many young (and not so young) people it is anything but depressing!! It means that at long last they may have a chance to buy a place of their own instead of paying a mortgage for someone else:D .

Perhaps they might even be lucky enough to be able to borrow over a period of less than 30 years.

It is now clear that prices have dropped nation wide (even in the paradise of Charlesland). I for one have had enough of the greed that soaring house prices have caused in this country, widening the gap between the haves and have nots. Many people have adopted the "I’m alright Jack, so f**ck you!" attitude to people that have worked hard supporting a family etc. yet still can not afford a house.

If you are happy living in Charlesland (or where ever) be happy for those who will now have an opportunity to own their own place too!
    Fish can you read the article on page 13 of todays indo. MOST NEW BUYERS GET FIRST HOME BEFORE 30.Also contained therein''As salaries increased they often refinanced or switched to shorter loan terms with better rates''. If you accept the information in the article to be fact, surely the hysteria that you have been posting regarding widening gaps and FTBs being worse off now than ever, is just that,hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

This thread should be moved to the Accomodation\property board - plenty of debate on the property market going on there and this particular thread is no longer specifically about Charlesland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

To be honest loyatemu, the way this thread has gone, I reckon it would actually be better in the Thunderdome as it's just going around in circles.

I'll let it go for now as the thread is supposed to be specifically about Charlesland prices, but if the slagging match continues I'll just lock it.

loyatemu wrote:
    This thread should be moved to the Accomodation\property board - plenty of debate on the property market going on there and this particular thread is no longer specifically about Charlesland.
    As far as I can see thats your first and only contribution to the thread. It has had 143 replies and over 7,500 views. Isn't this is what the forum is for?. Debate. It digresses a little from time to time. So what.The illegal dumping thread seems to heating up a bit also. But isn't it constuctive to have debate even if you dont agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Completely agree Hammie!

Surely we don't have to specifically mention Charlesland in every post?
    Charlesland is part of the countywide debate on property at the moment and as such this thread should be left alone...

Isn't this is what the forum is for?. Debate. It digresses a little from time to time. So what.The illegal dumping thread seems to heating up a bit also. But isn't it constuctive to have debate even if you dont agree?

I hate to say this.....but I agree with you!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Of course the words "Charlesland" and/or "Greystones" don't have to be mentioned in every post, but this debate IS about the factors affecting prices in Charlesland and the course of the thread seems to have gone down the route of Charlesland being immune (or not) to the negative factors of the housing market, having benefitted from the positive.

Time to bring it back on topic again. Issues about the thread itself or particular posts can be brought to me in a PM or by using the reporting function. Experience across all of Boards would indicate that commenting on the validity of a thread within that thread usually unites the opposing factions against the commentator and it's rarely long before that thread degenerates and gets locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

As far as I can see thats your first and only contribution to the thread. It has had 143 replies and over 7,500 views. Isn't this is what the forum is for?. Debate. It digresses a little from time to time. So what.The illegal dumping thread seems to heating up a bit also. But isn't it constuctive to have debate even if you dont agree?

second contribution actually. My point was merely that this thread is now going over exactly the same ground as this incredibly lengthy thread in the property forum, the only difference being that you two are the only ones arguing here.

Anyway, I'm not buying or selling, so I'll leave you to it....

If you look back over this thread you will see that many people have contributed, certainly there is more than one person on each side of this debate.

I would think that it has remained pretty much on topic ie. Charlesland , property prices, although sometimes other related topics are discussed to illustrate a point.

I don’t think things have got out of hand or anyone has been offended ( I hope you agree Hammiepeters).It is just a bit of fun and healthy debate.

Loyatemu, feel free to join in its great crack!!:D

fishdog wrote:
    If you look back over this thread you will see that many people have contributed, certainly there is more than one person on each side of this debate.

I would think that it has remained pretty much on topic ie. Charlesland , property prices, although sometimes other related topics are discussed to illustrate a point.

I don’t think things have got out of hand or anyone has been offended ( I hope you agree Hammiepeters).It is just a bit of fun and healthy debate.

Loyatemu, feel free to join in its great crack!!:D
    100% Fish 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

100% Fish 100%

Can we all now quit the whining and get back to issues concerning Charlesland.

Mike has hit padlock ready to rock and roll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 CathD

fishdog wrote:
    That is a matter of opinion. I am glad you like it however many people dont. In case you have not noticed a large proportion of it is for sale and has been for a long time. Whats more nothing appears to be selling there. Clearly many people think it does not represent value for money or they can not afford it. Either way prices are dropping there (as they are country wide).

Whilst much of the above is true, it's probably fair to say that given the age profile of the estate (3 years to less than 1 year old), and the house size of the majority of the estate (starter homes of 2 bed townhouses and apartments) that there will always be a reasonable proportion of the estate for sale at any one time as people outgrow the smaller houses and look to trade up? Is that because people don't like it? I would say not in the majority of cases. However, they are slow to sell, I should know, ours has been on the market for quite a while now! Sigh...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement