Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House prices in Charlesland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

iguana wrote:
    Am I reading this right? Did you buy a new house and then have to replace the windows within a few years? Did the developer pay for it? That sounds like a much more serious issue than crappy appliances. Replacing an oven, hob, washing machine and diswasher is a lot easier and cheaper than replacing windows. And pretty inexcusable, the last flat I lived in was nearly 200 years old and had it's original windows.

Bad drainage in the garden also sounds more problematic than bad appliances. Then again I have two springer spaniels so my thougts are focused on the muckfest my house would be each day if my garden had bad drainage. The dogs would love it though.

No basically 7 windows in the frames had to replaced by the window company due to being badly designed. Very bad draughts etc. They are all fixed now. I take no prisoners!! (woman scorned and all that) They didnt like seeing me angry lets put it that way;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

as far as I could tell, just guessed which pipes were for hot or cold

I am not a plumber, but I have seen them identify pipes very simply before connecting them up, they simply blow in one end and someone at the other end sees which one the air is coming out of at the other end. It is simple, but it works! Not bothering to do this just shows the attitude that many of the builders/tradesmen had.

As an electrician I can tell you that most of the houses/appartments I have seen are breaking basic wiring regulations.

I wired an attic conversion in one of the townhouses and we managed to get cables from the distribution board (fuse board) at the front door to the attic with minimal damage. This required lifting roof tiles off the roof over the portch and climbing in to that space. There is no access to this space any other way. Anyway the builder must have thought that no one would check if it was insulated, so he did not bother with any insulation at all, saving himself time and money!!

I could write a book about the stuff I have seen in Charlesland. But INCH is correct, Charlesland is better than most. It dosent say much though!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

daraghm wrote:
    The last few 2 beds houses have gone sale agreed at €390k, advertised at the 400-405k mark. We have ours up for sale and would happily take €390k. There are 11 or so on myhome, averaging 401-402k asking prices. I would say that that is 10-15k lower than this time last year. Ours is in the Wood, so we bought at the least expensive prices back in the day, so will have done well. Someone offered me €360k last week, then came back with a second offer of €361k... I ask you....

2 beds are now for sale at €330k in Charlesland Park

• Registered Users Posts: 27 daraghm

Tom123 wrote:
    2 beds are now for sale at €330k in Charlesland Park

2 bed apartment that is.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Femgem

It was only about 6 months ago that those apartments were going for €380K so that means they've dropped in price by just over 13% :eek:

Does anyone know how much these apartments were originally when they were bought off the builder?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

daraghm wrote:
    Someone offered me €360k last week, then came back with a second offer of €361k... I ask you....

in all fairness if the ESRI predictions during the week of 15% drops in prices between now and December you might be rueing the day you refused that offer cos that would put your property at 330k by December

a buyer doesn't give a toss what the original price paid was all they care about is the current market value

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Femgem wrote:
    It was only about 6 months ago that those apartments were going for €380K so that means they've dropped in price by just over 13% :eek:

Does anyone know how much these apartments were originally when they were bought off the builder?

They were €280,000 new. They were selling for right up to 381K around this time last year, don't know if they were getting that 6 months ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 daraghm

miju wrote:
    in all fairness if the ESRI predictions during the week of 15% drops in prices between now and December you might be rueing the day you refused that offer cos that would put your property at 330k by December

a buyer doesn't give a toss what the original price paid was all they care about is the current market value

Perhaps, but as I knew one exchanged hands for €390k 2 days before the offer I received, I was hardly going to accept €30k less 2 days later.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

was out having a walk around the Village yesterday and looked in Remax's window..there was two 2 bed apartments for sale...one at 350,000 and the other at 370,000. Whether any offers have been received and accepted at a lower price I wouldn't know.

Even though the development is relatively new, finishes in units are relatively the same IF the units are in the Grove/Park or Court/Park. What I'm saying is that in the Wood/Court, these buildings are concrete block construction, the finish IMO is of a higher spec (apart from wardrobes) therefore perhaps they may fetch a better price (once the market has settled appropriately). There are the pros and cons to timber framed construction or concrete built, but personally if I had a choice of buying an apartment in the same development and the choice of construction was of timber or concrete, I would pick the latter.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

134, Charlesland Park, Greystones

Now 320,000

http://www5.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=297529
    http://www.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=GRXXL334564
    The LOWEST PRICED apartment in Charlesland! Viewing Saturday 3/11 at 12:30.
    The LOWEST price, in the BEST fabulous condition, with the SUNNIEST aspect, in a QUIET cul-de-sac, and FULLY furnished…QUICK sale required.

If you’re looking at this brochure we hope you already know the amazing benefits of living in Greystones. If not we suggest you hit GOOGLE! You’ll find it all there.

• Advertisement

....and the prices just keep going down. It seems as if 1/2 of Charlesland is for sale at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

fishdog wrote: »
    ....and the prices just keep going down. It seems as if 1/2 of Charlesland is for sale at the moment.

3 BED EOT going for €499k in the park - lowest I have seen..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I know people trying to sell elsewhere in Greystones who were recommended to drop their price by 20% to generate some interest.

Yesterday's news said that prices had dropped 2% since the start of the year but this is obviously totally skewed by the fact that nothing is moving - they're going to have to drop a lot more to get things going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

loyatemu wrote: »
    Yesterday's news said that prices had dropped 2% since the start of the year but this is obviously totally skewed by the fact that nothing is moving - they're going to have to drop a lot more to get things going again.

And the fact the ESRI figures are based on nothing more than a selection of valuations rather than sales figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Wow, I would not like to be playing monopoly on this board:

charleslandmapjf3.jpg

And for that matter, why are so many houses for sale in greystones aswell?

greystonesqb4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

while I agree that it's obvious that there's a serious slowdown in market and drop in prices, I don't think Charlesland is particularly worse than other places. If you consider the density of housing in Charlesland as opposed to Greystones you'd see what I mean.
    Also, in our cul-de-sac (last part of grove + 1st part of park) which consists of perhaps 40 houses and 20 apartments, there's only ONE ground floor apartment for sale. I wouldn't call it a mass exodus yet! :)

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    while I agree that it's obvious that there's a serious slowdown in market and drop in prices, I don't think Charlesland is particularly worse than other places. If you consider the density of housing in Charlesland as opposed to Greystones you'd see what I mean.
    Also, in our cul-de-sac (last part of grove + 1st part of park) which consists of perhaps 40 houses and 20 apartments, there's only ONE ground floor apartment for sale. I wouldn't call it a mass exodus yet! :)

So your saying its ok because the area is high density? But this is one of the least densely populated countries in Western Europe? Greystones is not Dublin City Center!

Are these properties occupied or vacant can anyone shed any light? Are they "investments" or homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Uneducated guess, but I imagine the majority are investor purchases, with a significant remainder being owner occupied who, after living in them for 2-3 years now need/want to trade up.

So your saying its ok because the area is high density? But this is one of the least densely populated countries in Western Europe? Greystones is not Dublin City Center!

Are these properties occupied or vacant can anyone shed any light? Are they "investments" or homes?

Might try and think about the concept of density before you post next time?! :)

What I meant was that if you consider how dense charlesland is and (older) Greystone's lower density compared to that you can come to conclusion that the average number of houses for sales (i.e. or percentage of those for sale to total number) is not greater than that of (older) Greystones in relative terms. Obviously this is just a guesstimate from the maps provided.

daveco23 wrote: »
    3 BED EOT going for €499k in the park - lowest I have seen..

theres one of daft for €410k

• Advertisement

miju wrote: »
    theres one of daft for €410k
    Wrong. It's a mid-terrace 2-bedroom house with a converted attic, different from a 3-bedroom end-terrace. That's the going rate for them. In fact it's slightly overpriced.
    www.daft.ie/1291205

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

Wrong. It's a mid-terrace 2-bedroom house with a converted attic, different from a 3-bedroom end-terrace. That's the going rate for them. In fact it's slightly overpriced.
    www.daft.ie/1291205

Exactly. Someone put an end to this ridiculous scare mongering.

Might try and think about the concept of density before you post next time?! :)

What I meant was that if you consider how dense charlesland is and (older) Greystone's lower density compared to that you can come to conclusion that the average number of houses for sales (i.e. or percentage of those for sale to total number) is not greater than that of (older) Greystones in relative terms. Obviously this is just a guesstimate from the maps provided.

How do you reconcile "Try and think about the concept of density before you post next time?"
    and "What I meant was"

:confused:
    www.daft.ie/1291205
    I fear that thats not the going rate for them. Because (not meant smartly) if it was the going rate for them they would be gone. Instead the inventory in the area has increased!
    They may need to go down a bit more in order to reverse the trend of increasing inventory that has developed.

Wake up and smell the coffee! Prices are going down, alot. It is not "scare mongering", it is a fact.

I know, I am trying to sell for a long time now and I cant even get people to view despite dropping the price by over 10%

www.daft.ie/1291205

well for starters it wasn't that one and secondly that link is a 3 bed house not a 2 bed :D
    dubrunner wrote: »

you should really check what someones posting before blindly agreeing with them and then accusing others of scare mongering , ROFL

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

well for starters it wasn't that one and secondly that link is a 3 bed house not a 2 bed :D

you should really check what someones posting before blindly agreeing with them and then accusing others of scare mongering , ROFL

Was the house you were talking about for €410 one of the following becasue I cannot find one 3 bed for €410k anywhere on Daft except of a 2 bed with an attic conversion??????

2 bed mind Terrace - 37 Charlesland Court, Charlesland Region €410k

or

2 bed mid terrace - 114 Charlesland Park - €400k

or

2 bed mid terrace -129 Charlesland Grove - €390k

or

3 Bed Semi Detached - 13 Charlesland Court - €525k

or

2 bed mid terrace - 226 Charlesland Court - €379,500k

or

3 bed Semi detached - 97 Charlesland Grove - €538k

or

2 bed converted attic to 3 bed - 128 Charlesland Court - €410k
    (Still only a 2 bed with an attic conversion) so overall size of house smaller than normal semi detached 3 bed)

or

3 bed Semi detached - 148 Charlesland Wood - €500k

or

2 bed mid terrace - 170 Charlesland Wood - €395k

or

2 bed mid terrace - 126 Charlesland Wood - €405k

or

3 bed Semi detached - 20 Charlesland Grove - €525k

or

2 bed mid terrace - 187 Charlesland Wood - €390k

or

3 bed Semi detached - 269 Charlesland Wood - €535k

or

3 bed Semi detached - 118 Charlesland Park - €545k

Cant find any 3 bed for €410K????? mmm how interesting!!!;)

Right, Iif you say so... why don't you send a link to the correct one and elighten us then instead. Go ahead, prove me wrong.

I fear that thats not the going rate for them. Because (not meant smartly) if it was the going rate for them they would be gone. Instead the inventory in the area has increased!
    They may need to go down a bit more in order to reverse the trend of increasing inventory that has developed.

Yes, and that's why I said "In fact it's slightly overpriced."

Once agian, I suggest you do two things before posting:
    1. Read
    2. Think

It's not a race you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

ok, lets put this into relatistic terms for all of us to see how we stand! We can use the 2 bed townhouses for the example (its the one I know most about)

When the first Phase of Charlesland was released (The Wood) the 2-bed houses were costing between €295k-€302k (depending on aspect). This was back in 2004.

The last phase of The Park was released at (and correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm not 100%) around €375k (give or take based on aspect).

If the 2-bed houses are currenly selling at €390k (which I hear is happening) then every one of us who bought from the developer is in an ok position and thats a fair chunk of us! 'nuff moaning peeps!

Anyone would bought at the height of the prices (€420k) is in a little trouble but only if a their mortage as 93% to 100% of the €420k (and adjust thereon backwards).

Final word...Woodser had the right idea by buying a handful in the Wood!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

INCH wrote: »
    2 bed mind Terrace - 37 Charlesland Court, Charlesland Region €410k
    Down to €400k
    www.daft.ie/1314275
    INCH wrote: »
    2 bed mid terrace - 114 Charlesland Park - €400k
    Down to €385k
    www.daft.ie/1311791

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement