Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goin' All-Out ! !

• 22-06-2007 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    Im building a new gaming rig and was wondering what gfx card to get. Well recently I got a wad o' money :D So ive decided to go all out with the gfx card.

Ive decided to get a Leadtek 8800 Ultra *Water Cooled* :D:D

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-115-LT

125225.jpg

Thats Her , No way cheap but worth it :p:p

Barry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Please, explain to me what part of this is "worth it"?

EDIT: I think this is more building/upgrading territory, fill us in on the rest of your spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

OK, More of an impulse buy :D:p

The rest of my rig is :

E6600 Core 2 Duo,
    2 GB DDR2 Ram (Not chosen Yet)
    Asus P5N-E SLI
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 (200G)
    DIfferant drives : DVD RW etc.
    Chenbro Gaming Bomb Case.
    Thermaltake Purepower RX 600W

Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Buying an ultra is rediculous IMHO.
    Buy a Gtx, buy the wc urself, handpicked.
    Have Fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

stay away from that.

go for a gtx and maby a new HDD and a better mobo and a better psu.

Yup, even the vanilla Ultra is so beyond stupid its bordering on brain-dead.

Considering you could buy the bulk of a very good machine for the price of that piece of over-marketed and over-engineered piece of junk should let you see that you can still get a great gaming machine and have some money left over for other pursuits, or to upgrade in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I'd call it a near criminal waste of money. You probably could have gotten 2 x 8800GTS in SLI for that price, what a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You are going to need to put a fan or custom heatsink on the north bridge of that motherboard. It gets very, very hot even at stock with it's current one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

OK,
    I haven't bought the MOBO or RAM yet so what MOBO would ye recommend ? Now not too dear :D And no really fancy features , just one that has great performance and great overclocking and that will take this gfx card well. Also what ram would ye recommend ?

Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I dont understand why you wasted that money on a ultra, You can get a gtx at and above them speeds on air with a bit of extra cooling. What a waste. But since you say you have the spare cash, why not ;)

For the mobo i would go with a p35 chipset board, from the likes og gigabyte. Ram would be Geil, team xtreme, crucial, corsair. Stay away from ocz for now, as they have had alot of problems with their ddr2. You also have the choice of going for ddr3 with some p35 chipset boards. Or if you want a simple board that is a excellent overclockers just go with the Abit fatal1ty il9 board. ITs based on the nvidia 650i chipset. No sli. it hasnt got 400 sata ports and all that nonsence. Just a nice simple board for overlcocking.

Anti wrote:
    I dont understand why you wasted that money on a ultra, You can get a gtx at and above them speeds on air with a bit of extra cooling. What a waste. But since you say you have the spare cash, why not ;)

6 months down the line he will grasp the error of his ways.
    Anti wrote:
    For the mobo i would go with a p35 chipset board, from the likes og gigabyte. Ram would be Geil, team xtreme, crucial, corsair. Stay away from ocz for now, as they have had alot of problems with their ddr2. You also have the choice of going for ddr3 with some p35 chipset boards.

Or the boards didn't like the ram? Nearly all of the problems came from Intel chipsets.
    Anti wrote:
    Or if you want a simple board that is a excellent overclockers just go with the Abit fatal1ty il9 board. ITs based on the nvidia 650i chipset. No sli. it hasnt got 400 sata ports and all that nonsence. Just a nice simple board for overlcocking.

I prefer the Asus P5N-E SLI, it does 450+ fsb easy, its simple and it is cheap. Anything with a Fatal1ty badge means its overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

krazy_8s wrote:
    I prefer the Asus P5N-E SLI, it does 450+ fsb easy, its simple and it is cheap. Anything with a Fatal1ty badge means its overpriced.

The Fatality board, ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI, sells for 125 Euro on komplett, hardly over priced :-)

Got a good review from CustomPC as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

OK,
    I haven't bought the MOBO or RAM yet so what MOBO would ye recommend ? Now not too dear :D And no really fancy features , just one that has great performance and great overclocking and that will take this gfx card well. Also what ram would ye recommend ?

Barry.

Yet you're considering a 8800GTX?

Buy a good mobo (PCI Express 2.0, bunch of SATA and USB ports, quality capacitors, multi-phase power circuitry - not cheap) and a quality active PFC PSU, you'll have better stability and will appreciate it down the road.
    Your choice of case is vital.
    The difference in price increase Vs actual performance gained is massive in the upper end of the scale.
    Get a mid-range card from the current gen. It'll play games, won't keep killing your machine when it overheats, won't give you tinnitus, will use less power and you'll have more cash for good peripherals and a car.
    And you can always overclock stuff.

The current gen (nV8x00/AMD2x00) of graphics chips are the last of their kind, big-ass monolithic designs before horizontal scaling (more cores/chips, better yields, lower prices, increased power granularity) and hardware raytracing takes hold.

If I was buying a card this summer I'd try and source an ATI 2600, and then sacrifice a dot matrix on the Dark Altar and chant for good linux source drivers.

You actually bought the Ultra? I think this will be remembered as the biggest "Ooops" moment on this forum for a while. If you wanted to piss away money you should have just invested in some type of pyramid scheme.

uberpixie wrote:
    The Fatality board, ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI, sells for 125 Euro on komplett, hardly over priced :-)

Got a good review from CustomPC as well.

Let me tell you a funny story. There was a young man, who bough a Abit aw9d-max board. This was and still is the top of the line board for Core2duos sold by Abit. 8 months later, a host of reported problems. And they release 3 bios. 2 of which do nothing to help any reported issues bu instead fix minor things nobody cared about.

125 for a piece of crap, is a 125 euro for a piece of crap. You just don't know it yet.

Why do people insist on buying equipment branded by some slack jawed yokel, its just companies looking for a quick buck with "boutique" hardware items, silly.

The Gigabyte P35 DSR3 is meant to be a great board.

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Why do people insist on buying equipment branded by some slack jawed yokel, its just companies looking for a quick buck with "boutique" hardware items, silly.

The Gigabyte P35 DSR3 is meant to be a great board.

I have had quite a efw fatality products now. And they are all amazing, especially his motherboards, They aer a bit mroe expensive but they do use better quality parts. like the caps for example. There has not been one releases of his products that have been slated by reviews. Well on the performance side anyway. The price is a different story. But its something im happy to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Abit support is horrendous, you don't have to go through the hell everyone else has already been through...

Waiting for 6.5 months, might be just ok if you are waiting for a new model of your favourite car.
    In the world of computers though, waiting for Abit to release a proper BIOS update, in order for an advertised feature to finally work, is way too much.
    I bought the AW9D the first week it was released last autumn. I got rid of it after I realised that Abit was not planning to release fixes for basic things that another maker's mid-low end board supported on the shipping BIOS...
    6+ months, 2 official BIOS releases, 5 beta releases and the problem was fixed in May, 2 weeks before P35 came in...

And don't even start about the IN9-MAX...

Nice to see I am not alone on that one.

well i just bought thr 650i fatal1ty board. Hope i dont have any problems with it!

Advertisement