Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Various Vista problems

• 22-06-2007 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭

I'm getting constant error messages saying "Host process for windows services has stopped working". I'm not sure what this applies to but I recently found windows media centre crashes when I attempt to play a dvd.

I also failed to be able to install drivers for a new printer HP Deskjet F380 which I downloaded from the HP site, i got the error message "HP Installer Driver Preload Plug-in Has stopped working"

This is along with failing to be able to run or install various other programs . . .

Is this part and parcel or having vista until service pack one comes along?

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit by the way

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

* Check the event viewer and see if the crashes are recorded and what do they say.

* Check the control panel\problem reports and solutions to see if any tips are given as to what was causing the problem.

If Media Center crashes when playing a DVD then it could be a clue as to the problem;
    * Bad codec pack or DVD decoder installed
    * Buggy TV driver installed
    * Problem with display driver

What are the specifications of the system ?

As for the other install issues well have you tried turning off UAC & running the installer as admin as particularly older software expects to be admin running on XP and given free reign over the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

* the event reviewer shows the print drivers install crash as application error (event ID 1000)

* the media centre dvd crashing and open office disappearing without a trace when i try to run any of its elements dont show up on the event viewer

* i also get this error message when i boot

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File not found.
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction.Shell(String PathName, AppWinStyle Style, Boolean Wait, Int32 Timeout)
    at EULALauncher.NET.Form1.Launch_EULA()
    at EULALauncher.NET.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    EULALauncher.NET
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2489.24404
    Win32 Version: 1.0.2489.24404
    CodeBase: file:///C:/DELL/E-Center/EULALauncher.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

* i think its because i deleted files to get rid of an annoying dell eula window that opened when i booted and may be the cause of my wider problems, i couldnt find the event viewer record of this error

* my specs are dell dimension 9200 intel core 2 duo 2.13Ghz, 2048mb ram, ati x1300PRO gfx card

* I've tried running the installer as admin with the same results

* UAC is now off, i'll try to install after reboot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well the error message looks like it's related to the Dell EULA which if you removed part of it sounds like the problem at hand.

It gives away it's location so taking that out of startup (msconfig or Hijack this should do the job of removing the entry) might be worth a go and stop at least that error message from occurring if it is the cause.
    C:/DELL/E-Center/EULALauncher.exe

As for the printer problem I may be worth going to the makers website and downloading the latest Vista driver for your model and re-installing it just in case the prior driver installer messed something up & is contributing to other issues.

Try this display driver for the X1300 card.

Advertisement