Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry to Barcelona

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If it's true, maybe the rest of the summer signings can begin :)

Fantastic player, sorry to see him leave the Premiership, but how good will Barca be to watch ?

Flights are only 20-30 out there, and tickets are handy to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Will they keep Eto'o and Ronnie now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

€16 million? That has to be wrong. If that was the case Arsenal would be better off just telling Henry he's got a contract to see out

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If that's true then the Arsenal management have completely lost the plot. £16m? He'd pay that back in shirt sales alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Sky news reporting that Arsenal sold Henry for €16 million. If that is the case this is really depressing. 16 poxy million, I feel sick. Not even Eto'o or anybody in exchange, looks like it's all gonna be down to vanPersie and co next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

SSN say it's now official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Finally looks true. Arsenal need a serious shake up. I've always felt that Arsene has everything in control but not this time.
    He would never sell Henry if he didn't want to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

eirebhoy wrote:
    SSN say it's now official.
    Why do they say this when it's not the case? They said it before the ad break and then change it after the break. Anyway, the radio station reporting it was first to break Beckham and Zidane's move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

16 million is a joke, why not even the magic 17 million that everyone seems to cost these days, Wenger better have some sort of magical replacement

So Darren Bent is worth more than Thierry Henry? The Vieira deal was a joke, if this is true then it's pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

BBC are reporting it now as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Knowing Wenger, he'll plough the money straight back into other amazing young players. Won't be any comfort for the short-term success of the club though. Interview with Henry in the Magazine section of the Irish Times tomorrow...it said the reporter found it hard to understand his questions or something. Averting all knowledge from the deal away I guess maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

no comment form his agent, done deal then.

I wouldnt mind giving your one in white a good dicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barca guy just told sky a deal between Arsenal and Barca has been argreed for 24 million pounds, although it's not set in stone yet.

I think this isn't the worst thing for Arsenal, assuming Wenger gets the money to invest, I think we could see 4 decent players with great potential signed.

Odds are gona drop so low for Arsenal now, gona be worth a punt :)

£24m is (roughly) €35m, which is a figure I heard in a different story earlier today. That'd be slightly easier to stomach.

The thought of him going for £16m makes me want to puke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I could like with 24 million i guess as long as the money is spent, which it probably wont of course

OT,Cruiserweight, Just noticed your tag there, ya thieving bastard!:D
    Oh and for the other one its "if they're so smart then why are they so dead" i believe:p

The thought of him going for £16m makes me want to puke.

Sure you would just need to rustle up another million and yous could of signed Darren Bent as his replacement.

Probaly best you avoid dinner.

€24m?! - LOL

Maybe the Arsenal board feel they overcharged for Overmars and Petit, and underpaid for Fabregas and Merida, and want to make amends.

Ugghhhh.

Jesus, it actually is £16m. Pathetic

• Advertisement

I wish people would stop comparing Bent, they are totally different situations, players, most importantly, age.

Henry is going for a 'low' price because he has absolutely no resale value.

If you bought Bent for 17 million and he wasn't good enough, you could sell him back for 10 easily, so in reality he'd only cost 7.
    Henry has no resale value, they aren't comparable situations!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If I was Delores whatshername and I was told Henry was for sale for £16m,
    I'd buy him for the local LOI team.
    £16m is a bargain.
    There's no way Darren Bent is that close to one of the Premerships best players.

Jesus, it actually is £16m. Pathetic

What's the source?

PHB wrote:
    What's the source?

Graham hunter is on SSN now, he said it.

Skysports new. Graham Hunter's been talking about the deal for about 10 minutes.

that's ****ing nuts and also hilarious. Why the hell would they sell and not let him just run out his contract?

No point selling a player of Henry's calibre for £16m either

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

PHB wrote:
    that's ****ing nuts and also hilarious. Why the hell would they sell and not let him just run out his contract?

Because they're not a pack of c***s?

No point having a player of Henry's calibre on your books who desperately doesn't want to be there.

So Darren Bent is worth more than Thierry Henry? The Vieira deal was a joke, if this is true then it's pathetic.
    More like half of Andriy Shevchenko!

I wish boards would stop putting the posts out of order!

• Advertisement

Because they're not a pack of c***s?

Who gives a **** if they are assholes? Business is business
    No point having a player of Henry's calibre on your books who desperately doesn't want to be there.

Maybe not, but if Barca wanted him enough they shoulda paid more. This really makes little sense to me, especially considering he is under contract for three more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

im gutted.. this is a very sad day for arsenal. the greatest striker arsenal have ever had, and arguably english football has ever seen has gone. cheers for the memories thierry.

arsenal strengthen their status as a selling club once more.. the crucial thing now is to keep wenger

Thank God I got Van Persie on the back of my jersey last season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I share your sentiments Kronsington. They better put the money back into transfers, otherwise its a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank God I got Van Persie on the back of my jersey last season...

LOL

Jesus that's bad news for Arsenal isn't it? Is Wenger gonna bail too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Let him off if he wants to go and if you consider how much he is paid per week say 100k a week and multiply that by 4x12x3 that equals over 14 million that Arsenal will save in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

well bent has more than twice as long a career left as henry

Auvers wrote:
    Let him off if he wants to go and if you consider how much he is paid per week say 100k a week and multiply that by 4x12x3 that equals over 14 million that Arsenal will save in the long run.

they needed him to win trohies and he has been instrumental in arsenal's success in recent years.. he was worth the money. he was and is, in my opinion, a ****ing genius. i am truly gutted right now.

arsenal have gone to ****. in the last tow years we have lost
    henry,vieira,bergkamp,pires,lauren,cole,wiltord,campbell. when does it end? fabregas will be next to go, followed by wenger..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

PHB wrote:
    Who gives a **** if they are assholes? Business is business

Er, exactly.
    It makes business sense for them to sell him if he wants to go.
    They are in the weakest position of all 3 parties (Arsenal, Barca, Henry).
    They let him run down his contract and they not only pay him 100k+ a week
    for the next 4 years, but risk not getting 100k's worth of football out of him every week because he doesnt' have the motivation to do anything good for them, having had his move to Barca scuppered.
    PHB wrote:
    Maybe not, but if Barca wanted him enough they shoulda paid more. This really makes little sense to me, especially considering he is under contract for three more years.

Barca don't have to pay over the odds because Henry WANTS to go there, and Arsenal know he wants to go there.
    We have learned that contracts are practically worthless in football if the player has a desire to go elsewhere in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Darren Dein is Henrys' adviser. Hmmmmm.

Mike.

i dont see why arsenal fans on here are so pissed off about this

henry blatantly had no interest in playing for you after about october

• Advertisement

Money is the key here. It's a dreadful deal for Arsenal. One of the best players in the world comes up for sale and fetches a pretty poor amount. I don't care what age he is. Shechenko... £30m+, Zidane fetched £45m when he was 29. It's just not a good deal for Arsenal.

Only thing financially good for Arsenal about this is that Henry's off the payroll. Will free up a good bit of money for transfers on top of the measly £16m

Shevchenko wanted to go to Chelsea, he still cost 30 million. How is this situation any different?

im just diappointed, not pissed off. any non-delusional gooner knew it was coming. arsenal are on the decline right now. henry played a huge role in the clubs success in recent times, two doubles, a few fa cups, champions league runners up, going through a season unbeaten. irrespective of whether people like henry as a person or not (yes, he's a prick at times), a lot of fans will tell you that he's a player they like to watch and has provided us with countless great memories.. its sad to think he wont be playing in the premiership every week and the league will be the poorer without him. thierry henry's dont come along every day.

PHB wrote:
    Shevchenko wanted to go to Chelsea, he still cost 30 million. How is this situation any different?
    the difference is that it was chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

looks like ronni is off to milan then

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jun22q.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No chance....Ronnie will stay...I just know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Looks like Spurs will be getting that last champions league spot next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

If all this speculation is true and Henry goes for £16m, I wouldn't be surprised to see wenger gone by the end of next week, Theres no way he would be happy to sell Henry, and I just wonder how much involvement he has had in this deal at all.:mad: :mad: SACK THE BOARD!!!!!!!!!!

Wenger was the one negotiating the deal

Kanney wrote:
    Looks like Spurs will be getting that last champions league spot next season.
    I wouldn't go that far!

Apparently Henry had a release clause of £16m inserted into his new contract last summer. I suppose considering he only had 1 year left on it last summer the board didn't have much choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement