Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westie Nipping and tugging

Options
  • 22-06-2007 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Our Westie is 9 weeks old and in the past week that we have had him his nipping and tugging has increased. We are saying 'outch' when he is nipping us and offering a chew toy; and 'no' when he is tugging and also manually releasing his jaw (gently though). It seems like he is so set on doing the tugging and nipping that the outch and no does not seem effective, it is like a one track mind at that point for him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

He doesn't care what you say ...as long as you say something he's happy, because he's getting attention.

Push him away and ignore him ...and I really mean ignore him. Act as if he wasn't there, no sideways glances or giving out, nothing at all.

Only when he's calmed down (and that could take quite a while, depending on his character) do you initiate contact again. YOU, not him.

If that doesn't help, tell him "NO!" and immediatedly throw him out ...i.e sepaerate him from the group and all contact and attention. In the hall, in the garden, anywhere were he is safe, but alone.

The "throwing out" bit has to be swift, calm and decisive...matter of factly, no wrestling match, no speeches, no dithering and no brutality either. Just out, away from attention.

That should teach him pretty quickly.

Let him in again after while (unless he's making a racket, then he stays until he's calm) and act normally as if nothing happend.

Repeat until tugging stops and "no" is heeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Awww. I love Westie pups. Give us a pic!

Also, they don't know what 'ouch' means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AnneB

Peasant, thanks for the response, have read other posts by you and was hoping you would offer advice.

Advertisement