Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Broadband Usage and Bill's

Options
  • 22-06-2007 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I've had it Seven days and it is great, at times it can be a bit slow, but most of the time its fine.:D
    My usage is as follows:

Sent:43,623.58 KB
    Received: 1261.02 MB

Where will that leave me with my monthly total?? Could somebody please explain the whole Kilobytes, Megabytes and Gigibytes thing also.:confused:

Also will I get a bill at the end of June or a bill a month from the date I registered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

well believe it or not but KB, MB, GB are no longer standard as some companies makeup their own system,
    like if you buy 400 GB hard disk but its not 400GB its 372GB and Full 28GB is missing you know why?

in real
    8 bits = 1 byte
    1024 bytes = 1 Kilo Byte
    1024 Kilo Bytes = 1 Mega Byte
    1024 Mega Bytes = 1 Gega Byte

Things was very simple and easy some one just said mb not MB difference is million byte and Mega Byte.
    now Million is not = to Mega Byte so they said its million byte not mega byte.
    now talking about internet its became more tricky coz
    in normal computing 1 byte = 8 bits but on network (including Internet) 1 byte = 11 bits

let say you are sending 1Kilo byte file in email so do you think you used only 1KB? No!
    by calculating every thing
    you spend 1.3 to just send 1kb file.
    so if you understand this tricks played by companies good enough if not then you are lucky coz you don’t have to be angry about their dirty tricks

sorry forget to add on your terms and conditions it says Trafic or Download limit?
    if it is trafic then it mean download + upload = what ever quota allowed
    if it is download then upload is not included just download Quota
    (any one correct me if i m wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 White Widow

You need to phone 3 on 083 333 3333, choose bill pay option, and then I think it was 7 for general enquiries. You'll need your sim phone number and to confirm a few details, they tell you exactly what you have left. Its the only way I know of to get usage stats. The person I was talking to said there is nowhere to login and just check and obviously the provided software is way off! It said id used 700mb for the first 2 weeks and according to 3 when I phoned up I had used 6500mb and now its saying still saying only 2351mb used when I know I have to be near the 9-10gb mark!

Chap on the phone said you'll get a text when you are approaching the 10gb limit in the connect software, but I wouldn't trust it, I would not fancy paying 5cents a mb!
    Can they really charge you for going over when 90% people wont have a clue that the software is hugely inaccurate? and I didn't see any documentation when I bought it about having to ring up to check your usage, I had to find that out myself.

Anyone else finding the service seems to be getting worse and worse obviously as the popularity grows, mines up and down alot particularly this week, and I get full signal when I am connected, it was great when I first got it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i think its a good deal, but 3 are a bit vague about this 10gb cap is it a combination of upload and download??

€20 a month seems a bit too good to be true...im just waiting for the catch

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

philstar wrote:
    i think its a good deal, but 3 are a bit vague about this 10gb cap is it a combination of upload and download??

€20 a month seems a bit too good to be true...im just waiting for the catch

Heres the catch

144171025.png

feck!! thats poor.........so what area r u in john??..is it raining??

have to say its been fine for me this evening, but the previous days of torrential rain it was useless....and as long as its just the rain that affecting it well then i can live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 White Widow

As far as I know it is upload+download, Im happy with it anyway lads even if its a bit unreliable and the speed is variable, after trying for years and years to get broadband to no avail, its heaven, especially when you live in the middle of nowhere, even if it has its flaws, im considering signing up for it twice for 20gb, the cap is really not enough when you share it with other people
    I just hope the service doesn't get consistently worse...

philstar wrote:
    feck!! thats poor.........so what area r u in john??..is it raining??

have to say its been fine for me this evening, but the previous days of torrential rain it was useless....and as long as its just the rain that affecting it well then i can live with that.

I kid you not when i tell you that these speeds were with a 5 bar signal on a very clear night in the sticks in laois. Broadband in this area is perhaps in the top 3 worst areas in the country and with a 2 week wait for my usb modem all i can assume is that the contention is very very high. The previous night i drove about 15mls in either direction and got a 5 bar signal and with the very same results, not gona even bother ringing 3, what are they gona do only spoon me of with some line of rubbish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GNR1992/2006

My Usage:

Sent:43,623.58 KB
    Received: 1261.02 MB

I just checked with 3 and first the guy told me I had used 8985 MB 's and I had 1015 Mb's left, I said that could not be right and he checked again and he told me I had used 1.23 GB and I had 8.77 GBs left. Which would be right yes, or slightly less the figures for used as per software that came with the modem, yes.

This is only gona get better...my brother just got one and had to pay 50e deposit which wasn't the case last week but what he said next made me laugh as he was told that some idiot has just got a bill from 3 for 1400e

That said, i could soon very well be another one of 3s idiots.
    Got a bill from 3 for 19.99 which is due on the 3rd next month and on the bill it states Gbs and GBs? What the fcuk are these people up to for ****s sake?

The 50 euro deposit is because they could not verify his address/credit check for his address and it will be refunded on his third bill from them, as I had to pay the 50 euro also.
    What the hell was the guy/girl who got the bill for 1400 Euro doing for it to be so big.

• Advertisement

He, unlike me, was geting very good speeds and was on about 10 movies a day is what my brother was told.

right, that would explain it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Check your usage online aswell - http://mobile.3ireland.ie/3prepayweb/usage
    (someone posted that in another thread!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This is only gona get better...my brother just got one and had to pay 50e deposit which wasn't the case last week but what he said next made me laugh as he was told that some idiot has just got a bill from 3 for 1400e

Got a bill from 3 for 19.99 which is due on the 3rd next month and on the bill it states Gbs and GBs? What the fcuk are these people up to for ****s sake?

Someone in the mobiles and pda's forum got a €1400 bill from downloading movies. As for slow speeds, I was looking at the comreg masts site and it showed that outside Dublin, they have a fraction of the number of masts that the others have. johnplayerblue may be a great distance from his nearest mast.

how close to a mast do u need to be..to get good speeds??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Yor were not listening!!
    I said that the woman in the shop told me a story about a guy who bought the modem,he then came back to the shop a few weeks later to buy a 3g fone,she asked him how was the bb going for him and he said that it's excellent,he came back a few weeks later complaining that he had got a bill for 14K!!
    I find that a bit hard to belive but i did see a bill that a polish guy in work got from vodafone and that was over 3 grand!!!

Maybe there should be a box to tick on the application form that states i have read the terms and understand what a kb-mb-gb is

Advertisement