Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is a dog an adult?

Options
  • 22-06-2007 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

My dobies were 1 year old on the 21st of June so can I now regard them as adults for feeding purposes.

Im kinda sad to see the end of their puppy stage but dobies never really grow up so they still act like puppy's but with less madness.

They are really enjoying the company and antics of the little stray sheepdog I found some time back and someone should tell her that those are two dobermans as she seems to think she is boss. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

I think the adult stage starts at 18 months to 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Alfasudcrazy

Don't worry, you will know when they are fully adult. Which won't be for another while.

Before that happens, they will test your last nerve and more importantly all and any rules you ever made and thought they had understood.

Once they're done with that ...then they're adults ...which won't be before at lest another one to one and a half years.

Until then ...strong nerves ...and remember: consistency, consistency, consistency :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

peasant wrote:
    Alfasudcrazy

Don't worry, you will know when they are fully adult. Which won't be for another while.

Before that happens, they will test your last nerve and more importantly all and any rules you ever made and thought they had understood.

Once they're done with that ...then they're adults ...which won't be before at lest another one to one and a half years.

Until then ...strong nerves ...and remember: consistency, consistency, consistency :D:D:D

Yes, roughly one dog year = 7 of ours, so as peasant says it will be about 30 months. But they are probably sexually mature already and may want to act on it.

Have you had dobies before, and have you found them aggressive or hard to dominate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Sorry but one does not *dominate* ones dogs. This is outdated thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Michael G wrote:
    Have you had dobies before, and have you found them aggressive or hard to dominate?

Had another dobie a few years back - could not fault him loyal to the last - even if he only lived 8 years. :(

I do notice the female dobie will give a low growl at me if disturbed when sleeping but she is grumpy now and again anyway so I just leave her sleep. The male dobie has recently decided he no longer likes walks and wants to stay at home so he has to be lifted (sometimes against his will) into the jeep - not so easy now that he weighs a ton.

Not to be outdone all the other dogs have now demanded parity and expect me to lift them in too - not so difficult as they are lighter but can be messy when they have been jumping into the sea 10 minutes before.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well, happy lifting then :D

I see it has started :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Dogs hit puberty at about 6 months on average, but this can vary and may be up to about 10 mo. They're usually sexually mature at 6 mo. Emotional maturity or whatever you want to call it is usually at 18mo and a lot of people won't breed their dog til then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Michael G wrote:
    Yes, roughly one dog year = 7 of ours

This is not accurate. Dogs become sexually mature at about 6 months, this does not correlate with a 3 1/2 year old child. Also some breeds have much shorter lifespans (usually large/giant breeds) than others. A 7 year old Great Dane is old whereas a 7 year old Jack Russell is only about halfway through his lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

They have actually updated the dogs age to a humans in a recent Study. I have the ages at home in a notebook. A dog isn't classed as an adult until 18 months of age. Most food for dogs is classed as baby dog up to 5 months, junior 5 months to 18 months, and 18 months to 5 years as adult, 5 years plus mature dog.....wish they told my old dogs that! As for age of maturity, it depends on the breed. a GSD is 3 years, Cavalier King Charles is 2 years, West Highland Terrier is 18 months, Golden Retriever is 2 years.
    Edit:
    Dog and Human Age comparison
    Dog Human
    3 month 5 years
    6 month 10 years
    1 year 15 years
    2 year 24 years
    3 years 28 years
    4 years 32 years
    5 years 36 years
    6 years 40 years
    7 years 44 years
    8 years 48 years
    9 years 52 years
    10 years 56 years
    11 years 60 years
    12 years 64 years
    13 years 68 years
    14 years 72 years
    15 years 76 years
    16 years 81 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

thats a lot more realistic corkimp

• Advertisement

I agree Nala - people with kids or from a big family will see the comparison more easily! I was given that age comparison in a dog training course in cork run by John Clifford. Unfortunately where I set up my own dog training there was already a set up trainer so that went south. Not sure if I'll try here or not. Bit out of practise now. Anyways, I tried making it look more coloumn like but it still joined up again sorry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

EGAR wrote:
    Sorry but one does not *dominate* ones dogs. This is outdated thinking.

Well what do you say is the right way to approach it? If you have a physically strong and potentially dangerous dog, with a wilful personality, how do you ensure that you remain on top?

My neighbours have several dogs, all bitches, which often come into my garden and I feed them. A small cocker bitch eats first, a German Shepherd eats next and an older springer eats last. They have their own hierarchy, and all of them defer to me. They have an owner who is not unkind, but certainly has unquestioned authority over them. So do his wife and all of his children, even a little girl. You may not agree with the word domination, but how would you achieve the same result?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dsignr25

corkimp wrote:
    Unfortunately where I set up my own dog training there was already a set up trainer so that went south. Not sure if I'll try here or not. Bit out of practise now.

About the training - I see from your profile your in Waterford?? I think there maybe a market for a dog trainer here - I couldn't find anyone when I got my dogs so they had to make-do with what very little I know:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

one dog can over dominate i have three females and one insists on being the boss so to spaek. Dogs are known for there dominance, terroritory and leadership skills/qualities how is this out dated thinking EGAR?????

dsignr25 wrote:
    About the training - I see from your profile your in Waterford?? I think there maybe a market for a dog trainer here - I couldn't find anyone when I got my dogs so they had to make-do with what very little I know:eek:

Ya I recently moved to Waterford. I do the basic dog training - walk on heel, come when called, down etc. If you have any queries I can try help no bother :) .I want to improve myself, was trying to set up puppy classes in cork but there were too many. As for only a few trainers in Waterford, i saw in my now local vet (cityvets) there are puppy classes going on. But I'll look into it. Am near the city and not sure where I could do the lessons to be honest but will see what happens.

Advertisement