Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going daft....

• 22-06-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Bought a ps3 and discovered I could set up a network to play videos/photos/music via wireless.

Had a netgear 3347w router/modem and 802.11b card on my pc. When streaming avi files the picture tended to stutter. Read somewhere this might be down to the router / adapter speed. So I bought a Netgear WGT624 v3 router thinking it was a router/modem which allows speeds up to 108 mbps. Bought an 802.11g adapter too, thinking this would be ideal to stream video to the PS3.

I thought the WGT was a router/modem but it's only a router. So I was thinking that I feed an ethernet cable from the 3347w to the broadband socket on the WGT and that this would sort all.

When I get a list of wireless networks I get to choose the old router or the new router. If I pick the newer router I can't get on the net and can't figure out why. I can get get into the router menu using 192.168.1.1 but the first screen looks for firmware updates but can't locate.

Just spent an evening trying to figure out why the net won't work for me. I have wep set up on the old router but no security on the new router. I've tried using the same wep on both. Just can't get through.

Anyone know if I am chasing my tail. Can i use the 3347w as a modem and WGT as the router or is this insane?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

Each of these routers will have a WAN side IP and a LAN side IP range, basically a set of IP addresses that it will use on its LAN side. On many routers this is 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.255. If both routers have the same LAN subnet (192.168.1.x) configured then you'll get a conflict on the new router. It will get confused because it will see the same subnet on its LAN and WAN sides. I would recommend connecting your PC to the new router and disconnecting the new router from anything else. Go through the config and set up the LAN side subnet to use 192.168.2.x to avoid conflicts with the old router. You can verify the LAN subnets on both routers by connecting your pc to each router and seeing what IP address you receive.

Once your subnets are set up, then connect the old router to the new router. Make sure to connect the WAN port on the new router to a LAN port on the old router.

Be aware that in this configuration you will effectively have double NATed your network. This might cause problems with some applications.

Ideally you would want to put your old router in bridge mode and allow the new router to do everything for you. Googling at this point threw out these links http://help.bellsouth.net/bellsouth/asp/contentview.asp?UserType=DSL&source=2&sprt_cid=5ad08ec4-d51b-43ef-9e2d-76704b883878&isbrowse=true and http://forums.linksys.com/rss/message?board.id=Wired_Routers&message.id=8125

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Moorsie

super answer. much appreciated. now to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Moorsie

...set up bridge. This solved all my problems. Ta, I'd be scratching my head for a while without your solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

Moorsie wrote:
    ...set up bridge. This solved all my problems. Ta, I'd be scratching my head for a while without your solution.

Excellent, glad that worked out for you :)

Advertisement