Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subsequent spare shotgun barrels

Options
  • 23-06-2007 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Could any licenced shotgun owners with spare barrels please give info on how their spare subsequent barrels are added to their certs, Are they always added to same cert ifso are they just ammended by local garda.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

IMC they just wanted the spare barrel to have the reciver serial no added to it.Nothing on the liscense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Clare gunner, So once you added reciever number to spare barrel that was all that was needed, also did the spare barrel have its own sieral number.

No,it was blank.It is a replacement Mossberg barrel,and the US law does not consider that component parts[IE barrels,mags,triggers etc] are revelant to firearms liscensing,only the Reciver is the serialed no part.Hence they come to us blank.It is then up to each country/individual to stamp the revelant parts as they see fit.

Clare gunner, Your licencing Laws are a lot more fair than they are here in Ireland, After asking the department of justice why i cant add my new spare subsequent rifle barrel of same calibre to my exsisting licence and was told because it has a chamber and is classed as a firearm component thus requiring a seperate cert Clearly a scam so i replyd by stating that a shotgun barrel also has a chamber thus must be also classed as a firearm component but does not require a seperate firearms cert the lady was unable to give a reason for this so i am looking for as much information on this matter so if need be a Legal route to this unjust and unfair scam is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ranger4 wrote:
    Clare gunner, Your licencing Laws are a lot more fair than they are here in Ireland,
    ranger4, Clare gunner is here in Ireland.

• Advertisement

My mistake, cj, whats your views on spare barrel licencing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Should just be a simple case of stamping/etching the barrel with the serial # of the action, nothing more or less.
    I guess like everything here it depends on who your super is and how you go about asking the question....

Dont waste your time with the DOJ on this!
    They obviously never have heard of matched pairs of barrels then.Quite common with better class guns like Perrazi,H&H,etc.In where you get a case with one reciver,and two or three sets of barrels for different shooting conditions.IE game,trap and skeet.
    They are quoting the law book and havent got the idea of how it is implimented in the really real world.Or they are hoping by baffling you with BS you will go away.
    Would suggest you contact your FAO,tell them that you want to import a spare barrel for your shotgun.And that you will get it engraved with the serial no of the reciver b when it is here. If they have any objections simply state that it is acceptable in the Limerick area for the spare to be serialled to the reciver no.Should be end of story.

Thanks for info Clare gunner, The barrel i am looking to get ammended on exsisting cert is a Blaser LRS2 Target rifle barrel same 243 cal same as exsisting Licence, Local plod and Depart j says no can do with rifle but ok for shotgun because rifle barrel has chamber and is classed as a firearms component, I pointed out that a shotgun barrel has a chamber and also must be classed as a firearm component unwilling to help i am trying to find out as much as possible so i can go about trying to change this unfair and money spinning racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Classified as a firearms component?? Isn’t any part necessary to the operation of a firearm classified as a component and therefore subject to licence? And having got such a license you may possess such parts?

If thats the way there are going on it sounds like you need a separate cert for a spring:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Classified as a firearms component?? Isn’t any part necessary to the operation of a firearm classified as a component and therefore subject to licence? And having got such a license you may possess such parts?

If thats the way there are going on it sounds like you need a separate cert for a spring:confused:

Ah, here it is, see attached.

Can someone please explain the difference between a spare rifle barrel that needs a seperate cert acording to dept of jus, and a spare shotgun barrel that does not, The excuses from dept justice doint make sense, afterall isnt a shotgun barrel chamberd and classed as a firearm component? Wonder legaly if a spare rifle barrel was aquired and stamped with number from Licenced reciever so spare barrel would have manufacturer number and reciever number both on spare barrel would this stand up in court in a worse case senario?

If it did it would clear the air nicely.The law as Sidney pointed out does entitle you to have the components,and if it was serialled to the reciver,it is a spare liscensed component to that rifle.Be a different story if you are getting a barrel with a different calibre.
    Same thing with the conversion kits for handguns.Some districts take the 22lr as a component and others insist a seperate liscense.
    Shades of grey have no place in law.

Clare gunner quote" shades of grey have no place in Law" couldnt have put it better myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thejackal

rifle barells incorprate a uniquie twist that is different to a shotgun which dosent hope dat answers d question

Twist rate doesent alter the fact that a rifle barrel and a shotgun barrel are both classed as component parts and if a shotgun licence covers ownership of a spare barrel then like wise a rifle cert should cover the spare same cal rifle barrel, The ballistics would be different with spare shotgun barrel likewise with rifle spare barrel but i havent got a problem if the spare rifle barrel has to be test fired for ballistic records, Its down to pure extra revenue nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ranger4 wrote:
    Twist rate doesent alter the fact that a rifle barrel and a shotgun barrel are both classed as component parts and if a shotgun licence covers ownership of a spare barrel then like wise a rifle cert should cover the spare same cal rifle barrel, The ballistics would be different with spare shotgun barrel likewise with rifle spare barrel but i havent got a problem if the spare rifle barrel has to be test fired for ballistic records, Its down to pure extra revenue nothing more.

There is no ballistics data from a shotgun barrel. No bullet to add grooves to and no rifling with which to make them.

I don't actually understand the need to have a spare rifle barrel of the same calibre as the original.

I
    don't actually understand the need to have a spare rifle barrel of the same calibre as the original.

It would apply more to a modular style weapon [IE the AR 15 ].Where you can replace the upper of the rifle to a mission specific length barrel.IE change from a carbine length to a full length target barrel upper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I

It would apply more to a modular style weapon [IE the AR 15 ].Where you can replace the upper of the rifle to a mission specific length barrel.IE change from a carbine length to a full length target barrel upper.

Thanks for the response CG. But it raises another question ;) :

Why wouldn't you just own a different firearm, the same way that I own a target rifle and a sporting rifle both .22lr?

Advertisement