Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Or Xp

• 23-06-2007 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭

Building a laptop and wondering if I should go Vista or Xp?

Just looking for opinions on both.

Thanks,
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Vista = shiney, new, f*ck all drivers, security holes, slow with 512MB RAM

XP = nice, old, lots of drivers, less security holes, fast, runs nicely with 512MB RAM

Depends, really. Games with a Vista notebook = not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

the_syco wrote:

XP = nice, old, lots of drivers, less security holes, fast, runs nicely with 512MB RAM

What security holes in Vista that make XP less of a security risk ( xp is riddled with security risks and new ones arrive everyday)

Drivers personally I have not found anything that did not work under Vista I am sure there are drivers unavailable for somethings but I have not found anything yet.

Ram Vista needs a shed load but ram is cheap now so it is not a huge issue if you are building a new machine 1 gig of ram is pretty basic now, although my advise would be to go with more than that for vista.

Possible solution is if you already have an XP license dual boot and put both on the laptop that way if there are issues with vista you can fall back on XP and if you end up just using vista you can always delete the XP partition later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Gotta say I have never had a problem with Vista.
    I have it on my laptop and desktop and couldn't be happier.

the_syco wrote:

Still no word on those security holes in vista yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Vista is severely trying my patience . . . consider wisely if you need Vista first . . . running XP will save you a lot of hassle in the short to medium term

• Advertisement

Morf wrote:
    Vista is severely trying my patience . . . consider wisely if you need Vista first . . . running XP will save you a lot of hassle in the short to medium term

why

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Vista isn' that shinier than Xp.
    I have my new machine (purchased from Dell), a Dimension E 521 with 2 GB RM and a fast processor and still think that it is thirsty of more power.
    I am unhappy with many things in Vista. I.e., HP will be adding driver and software support for my HP 1320 laserJet Printer in June even though vista is out for a long time.
    Many other, especially small programs do not have full support under Vista (i.e. the Nero that I was using under Xp did not work under vista).
    It's may other things that I simply do not like. I mean the gadgets (sidebar) are nothing as spectacular as I thought (Kunfabulator or Yahoo widgets are just as good).
    TBH, if someone can point to a vendor that sells Win Xp Pro for a reasonable price, I would not hesitate to downgrade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

the_syco wrote:

absolutely agree, i see nothing special about vista and i definetely wouldn't recommend it to anyone at the moment.

It might look good, but what use is that when it takes ages to perform even simple tasks? and even if it were performing smoothly, with 5000 Terabytes of ram, and a 100 Ghz cpu, its really not got much over xp at the moment IMO

stick with xp for now, vista is too new a system to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

It might look good, but what use is that when it takes ages to perform even simple tasks? and even if it were performing smoothly, with 5000 Terabytes of ram, and a 100 Ghz cpu.

Absolute nonsense , Im running it since march and its fine , nothing slow about it at all , and because of the improved memory management/caching it is considerably quicker at starting some apps , in my case photoshop.

The only caveat , make sure all your hardware has Vista drivers , if thats the case , its a fine OS , nothing slow about it at all !

Mine was not a new machine when I installed it , some drivers were still in Beta , and I still got it up and running fine.

mathias wrote:
    Absolute nonsense , Im running it since march and its fine , nothing slow about it at all , and because of the improved memory management/caching it is considerably quicker at starting some apps , in my case photoshop.

The only caveat , make sure all your hardware has Vista drivers , if thats the case , its a fine OS , nothing slow about it at all !

Mine was not a new machine when I installed it , some drivers were still in Beta , and I still got it up and running fine.

in your opinion, its absolute nonsense..
    you contradict yourself when you get to .."The only caveat" :P nice try.
    mathias wrote:
    some drivers were still in Beta

this is precisely why i don't recommend it..do you work at microsoft by any chance? :P

matter of fact, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. :D
    if i want advice on photoshop, i'll ask you, but you leave advice on operating systems to me, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

i myself have ultimate and xp, i keep switching between the two on an annoyingly continuous basis. basically if your a "home user" who doesnt go messing with all the different settings and who doesnt run too many bizzare programs, visat really is nice and its the way to go! by christmas time sp1 will have come out for vista aswell and then it wont even be comparible anymore.

but if like me, you run lots of different programs and play games, then there are a few annoying compatibility issues (which can be bypassed, but its annoying)

tbh, stick with xp until xmas (sp1 for vista), then go to vista if ya want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Nice post Mr Average , really nice ,

I seem to have touched a nerve there ,
    but you leave advice on operating systems to me, thanks!

Not on your life , I prefer my advice from experienced people :D:D:D

Arnt smileys great ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

If you just use a pc/laptop for normal things like web browsing, music, movies, burning dvds etc then there is no reason not to get vista. Just because vista doesnt let some ppl play there half life 99 on your triple XXX settings doesnt mean it wont do the job for someone else. Havent had any problems since I installed vista in January. But as was said lots of times, these will be the same ppl saying dont get the next OS after vista as vista is so great and thats so buggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

- to add my own views as someone who recently changed to Vista(albeit via destop not laptop), I would like to reiterate the previous posters' insistence that if you are planning to use any of your existing hardware - printers, cards etc -make sure there are Vista drivers available for them. My soundcard has no Vista drivers, and it looks like the manufacturer is in no rush to release one either.

Overall Vista is nice and modern looking but you should bear in mind you will need good GFX capability to run its "Aero" component. My new PC (a dual-core with 2gb RAM) only came in with a score (Vista checks how capable your PC is)of 3.6 before I popped my GFX card in. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't expect to need a GFX card for anything other than games.

mathias wrote:
    Not on your life , I prefer my advice from experienced people :D:D:D

i was winding you up to get a response, don't want to hijack the thread and embarass you.go play with photoshop, there's a good boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'm eager to try Vista on my home machine, but I know from experience its best to wait a year so that initial kinks are ironed out and drivers become available.
    So its XP Pro for me till next year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Using Vista for 2 months on my home machine and have been using it regularly at work since xmas.

Check that all your hardware is supported in vista and you have a min of 2 gigs of ram and a decent gfx card. If your just scrapping over the edge of the min specs then stick with XP otherwise I'd go with Vista, its a nice OS I've had no problems with the 64 bit version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I wouldn't install Vista until they have released at least one service pack for it which i dont think they have yet. Would also do a full backup of your machinebefore upgrading so you can easily recover form any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I think the first service park is due in october

Advertisement