Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSU gone?

• 23-06-2007 1:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Heyho. Was on the computer yesterday evening when suddenly power went down in house. Originally we thought it was related to the poor weather in dublin but then realised it was only part of the house and switching back the switch on the fuse board sorted it out.

It happened just as I was heading out for the evening so I thought nothing of it. However I came home tonight to find out main computer would not switch on. I tried plugging it in directly to the main instead of the power strip but no joy. I tried the power cable from this computer here but no joy. I tried disconnecting all but the cables to the motherboard and the cpu fan but still nothing. I don't even seem to be getting motherboard lights (though in fairness I don't know if my motherboard has any its DFI lan party nforce4). Its an enermax liberty 620 watt psu. Is it busted basically or is there anything else it could be before I go out and get another one?

Cheers

Data

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd suggest grabbing a working PSU from somewhere if you can and trying to boot the PC in the same minimal configuration you tried with your PSU. That way you'll be able to double check that the board isn't the problem.

It's also possible to (carefully) rig up an ATX PSU so that it powers on without an ATX board connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

cheers for the quick reply. I have the psu in this machine that i think i will pull out in the morning. Its a generation behind though I believe (an antec 430w psu on a abit nf7) not sure if it has the necessary mobo leads for my current machine but i'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

ok update! after testing the presumed broken psu on the older computer it sparked and smoked when i tried to get it running so confirmed its death. Picked up a Hiper 530 watt jobbie from it direct to sort me out as a result which is working nicely now in the original machine just need to replace a fan also.

however whilst testing the broken psu in the old machine I seem to have messed that it it won't post and at first glance looks like the graphics card is gone in it. as the graphics card fan will not spin up. So i'll have to look into that now as well ><

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Ouch. Wrong way around. A dud board is unlikely to break a PSU but a dud PSU...

Advertisement