Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silent Ringtones should be banned !

• 23-06-2007 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

So your 12, you just got your first crappy basic mobile phone and you think your cool, so what do you do, spend 2 euro a day on a subscription for ringtones. And you get this crappy little silent ringtone that nobody over 30 can hear, well supposedly anyway. But then you annoy me.

Some people it doesnt bother them too much but am i the only one who hears them like an airhorn being blown in my ears, does anyone else get headaches when they hear them ? please tell me im not alone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Stop hanging out with 12 year olds.

¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

Secondary school, unavoidable

although i finsied my leavin today so hopefully the problem will go away, but im curious to see doe they actually cause other people pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No .. they dont bother me at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

So can the teacher ever here it or what :D. I never hear them maybe my ears are over 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It the shops that use the sound to keep kids from hanging around in front of them that are worse....

But yes.... anyone who pays money for a ring tone is an idoit... Why can't they get a phone with bluetooth or a data cable?

• Advertisement

quiet monkeyfudge, ive been using my phone with bluetooth and infrared to sell people pictures and ringtones for years, secondary school, easy money :) i always thought it was stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Put it on vibrate only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

why would anyone buy a silent ringtone when you can just put the thing on vibrate.. duh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

I once spent an entire 40 mins in a class with 5 of those ringtones going off :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Silent Ringtone, Can you hear it ?

• Advertisement

zabbo wrote:
    Silent Ringtone, Can you hear it ?
    It has a very high freqency pitch so adults cant hear, but bugs the crap out of everone else.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I think the adults should counteract the silent ringtone with one of their own, the brown ringtone! A low frequency tone that adults can hear perfectly but when played in the vicinity of anyone under thirty they crap their pants!

Biko

now teachers can hear the hum of the vibrating phone, also subsciption services convince them they need it, advertising at its best :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

but im curious to see doe they actually cause other people pain

Yep, I share that strange affliction (and I'm 30). I get really bad headaches after hearing those fecking things. Its like the feeling you get in your teeth when someone scratches a blackboard, or rubs a balloon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I can hear it too, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

What good is a silent ringtone in class? Its not like you can answer the phone then and there. Stupid stupid stupid. I also love the way they're marketed on the TV ads which have in tiny writing down the bottom "18 years or over". Yeah, like THAT's the ad's clear target market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

MooseJam wrote:
    why would anyone buy a silent ringtone when you can just put the thing on vibrate.. duh

Probably because they think it's cooooooooooooooooooooooool, the silly little beggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Im almost 40 and can hear those things.

The sound is so annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is there a link to the sound?

I want to know if I can hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

seansouth wrote:
    Is there a link to the sound?

I want to know if I can hear it.

There was a thread a while back about this with links to sites that played tones to see what frequency you could hear, which included the ring tone frequency.

the gray player near the top of this page

http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2006/06/can_you_hear_this_now_yet_anot.php

The ringtone is at the very start

Here's some more......

http://www.ultrasonic-ringtones.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Here are some.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0XJENM4F
    There are others all over the place. can hear them all. Maybe us oldies are just letting on to the kids we can hear the sounds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

on Ultrasonic Ringtones I can only hear up to C - 16.7kHz!

Steak wrote:

i can just about hear 14.1

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Steak wrote:

I can't hear the very last one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can only hear up to 14.1kHz!

I can hear up to the 15.8kHz one, but nothing beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

basquille wrote:
    Can only hear up to 14.1kHz!
    Same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm 22 and I can hear all but the last one. Weird thing is, the pitch seems to scale upwards fine from 8 to 15.8, but then it starts getting quieter and deeper. 19.9 sounds like a deep buzz.

So either these guys are bullshit, my headphones get confused at really high pitch, or my brain is broken.

I can hear up to the 21.1KHz one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i can hear up to 15.8kHz
    my brain hurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I can hear up and including 19.9kHz, almost sounds like a whistle. *shakes head after listening* Argh!

Did anyone else get what I did? Or did it scale up slowly in tone from start to finish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Steak wrote:

Same as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:)

Thanks for the links everyone.

I can hear up to 15.8kHz on that Ultrasonic site.

Jaysis.

I'm 27 btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I can hear all but the last one. I'm 22.

Normal, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

I can hear up to 21Hz. 46 year old and I thought that my hearing was sh1t, but maybe it's not so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Able to hear all but the last one. 23 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

i can hear all but the last one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I can hear up to d.

All of 16 1/2.My hearing is ****e.

Would it depend on the quality of the speakers used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I can hear up to d.

All of 16 1/2.My hearing is ****e.

Would it depend on the quality of the speakers used?
    Yup.

I remember one time when we had a free English class in secondary school a year or two back I had that noise on my phone and started playing it. The sub could hear it clearly but she didn't have a clue where it was coming from or what it was for. We convinced her that it was the intercom. (yeah we were sad but what else can ya do in school?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I see these things as a tax on stupidity. From my experience, the people who purchase these are the same people whose computers are riddled with spyware and viruses because they click on every flashing ad they come upon with unbelievable glee.

I can't hear the ringtone in the ad and I'm only 20 :( I blame rock concerts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Weird - I can her them all but the last one (F) - I'm 35. Tax on stupidity - maybe you're on to something there Gauge.

It actually reminds me of a hearing test I had when I was a child, you had to put on head phones and say when you heard each sound. Of course you'd know when a sound was supposed to be played because the woman would click a switch, and she lost the plot at someone in front of me because she reckoned the kid was just answering yes to each click (I'm sure there were some 'control' noises in there too). When it came to my turn I was bricking it.

D.

I'm seriously begining to think that website is bullshit.

Can anyone hear the last one?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hang about - don't you have to be over 18 to buy ring tones ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I would ban anyone who would ban silent ringtones :mad: . There are lost of annoying and bad ring tones out there. I would be grateful if these ring tones are pushed up the frequency spectrum so i can't hear them.

Isn't our planet noisy enough with bad ring tones!!

Silent is bliss :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Gauge wrote:
    I see these things as a tax on stupidity
    but then those companies do tend to sign people up without their consent. sometimes when you enter legitimate competitions they sell your number to these scum
    Zillah wrote:

speakers are generally only designed to go to 20kHz afaik so i'd be inclined to say no

the worst one of those scams imo is the "radar" one. you get an animated gif that look like a radar that is supposed to be picking up phones in the area. the voice over says "people won't believe you can detect phones in the area". and they'd be right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Zillah wrote:

try put your headphones on your dog... see if it reacts.. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

if you click on the hearing test results and say you can hear the last one they tell you the last one contains no sound

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Steak wrote:
    I can only hear to 14.9, but strangely enough I can hear the 21.1k one, but not the ones in between. Weird or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ciano1 wrote:
    if you click on the hearing test results and say you can hear the last one they tell you the last one contains no sound
    lol :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement