Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up Network

Options
  • 23-06-2007 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

Checked the FAQ and nothing there so for a network newbie like myself trying to figure out how to do it

Basically I have a desktop PC in the attic and I use a Laptop around the house

Working off a BT Voyager 2100 wireless router

Looking to be able to access desktop files with the Laptop

Where do I start ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Would need to know the Operating system but if they are both XP its straightforward. I am presuming you can access the net on both. Pic a folder you want to share on the desktop, right click on it and select "sharing and security". Give it a share name (if you are on XP home you have limited options basically share allowing the laptop to change files on the desktop or share without allowing files to be changed). Right click on the "my computer" icon and check the computer name of your desktop. Go to your laptop click start and run type in double backslash i.e. \\ followed by the computer name. The share folder should show up in a window. You can also find it though "my network places" on the start menu.

If you desktop is in the attic you might want to control it remotely from your laptop. A free piece of software called realvnc will allow you to do this. Install on both machines (MAKE SURE YOU SET A PASSWORD) and you can use the laptop to control the desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yes they are both Windows XP

Will try this thanks

Keep my mind off Thierry leaving :(

Cheers

Advertisement