Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my dog in pain

Options
  • 23-06-2007 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

My dog is very old and has now got a huge big lump on the side of his face. The vet says its a tumour but he is not in any pain. I'm not convinced though and I'm wondering should he be put down. Is there anyway to tell if he is suffering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Chef1976 wrote:
    My dog is very old and has now got a huge big lump on the side of his face. The vet says its a tumour but he is not in any pain. I'm not convinced though and I'm wondering should he be put down. Is there anyway to tell if he is suffering?

What did the vet say when he saw the tumour? I think you can only tell if a dog is suffering by the way act durning the day and also other signs, like maybe going toilet in the house and getting sick more after eating.

I presume the vets cannot operate? You think the dog is in pain, then probably best to put it down, even if its not seffering now, maybe 1 month from he could be in very bad paid, which may make it worse. I know myself, never easy putting a dog down that has been in your family prob most of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would consulte another vet for an opinion. A dog is pretty good at hiding pain when they start to show they are in pain its usually bad. If he seems ok in himself he may be fine for a while - did the vet discuss surgery option?

Its never easy to let a pet go but you can normally see the signs & will know when your dog is ready to go to the rainbow bridge.

Hugs

Faye xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

My last doberman had the same thing except the vet never told me it was cancer so i always hoped it would get better.

If I had known I would not have left him suffer as long as he did. Its best to put him down in my opinion but get a second opinion first. I agree with the previous post that dogs don't show any outward signs of pain until it is very bad. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭karlin

Usually these are benign fatty tumours and are not painful at all -- they are just unsightly but it is more uncomfortable for us to look at than for the dog, unless it begins to seriously interfere with eating and drinking. These kinds of tumours are very common in some breeds as they get older -- labradors, for example. If your vet feels your dog has a good quality of life, I am sure you can be assured that this fatty lump is not bothering the dog. :) Go back and talk again with your vet perhaps to understand more about this type of tumour and you'll probably feel more reassured.

Advertisement