Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Presenters on RTE 1

• 23-06-2007 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

I notice some new presenters on RTE1 now while the regulars take their holidays.

McGuirk in for Pat Kenny... not bad,hah ha haah haah ,some people don't like him but I must say he is not bad.

Keelin Shanley in for Mary Wilson....big improvement here, moves things along, needs a wee bit more experience, but lively and entertaining.

Who's in for Duffy??... Not the "Ayim the fynest" Derek Davis is it?

Paul Maguire on Morning Ireland... certainly an improvement on Aoife Kavanagh or Richard Downes,who take forever to ask a question.

I see Gavin Jennings is doing sport this week... interesting choice.

Padraig Lodge did a live commentary on Donegal/Tyrone last week- jury's out imho, not too auspicious a debut but.... give the guy a chance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agree about Keelin Shanley I think she sounds pretty, well warm anyway! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Doesnt Pat Kenny usually come back in august when the others are still away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I forgot to mention a female reporter on Sport with an irish name,not Siobhan Madigan, who is not bad by the way.

She is new but sounds she has a bit of a personality,which is rare enough in RTE Sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Keelin Shanley is a huge improvement on Mary Wilson, who I find pretty irritating to listen to.

And flutterinBantam, the girl on rte sport is Evanne Ni Chuillinn. I was in school with her.

Flutter prediction---she will do well.:)

• Advertisement

Name dropper!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

Must say the standard of Sport bullitins on Radio1 and 2fm is terrible, both the girls on it constantly get names of players, clubs wrong. Also listening in today, they were still giving the wrong sa-nz rugby score as a latest score 2 hours aftyer the game has finshed, in general they just sound like they dont have any passion for sport.
    Have to say for quick updates Today Fm is the most reliable
    while Newstalk arent bad for the indepth stuff in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

hmm
    Keellin Shanley doesn't float my boat at all.
    I've avoided 5/live what'ya'call it for the last 6 mths or whatever.
    Yes Mary Wilson is not the most uplifting but
    K Shanley to me is the quintissential example of the sort of contrived
    juxtaposed faux-mid-atlantic-d4-dartspeak-bland politically correct
    soundbite trite that I fear RTE may be converging towards....

sorry... rant...

to give a balance Keelin is a very capable and energetic journalist
    but it is rare to find a breed who excels as incisive journalist and
    anchor. My vote is still with Matt Cooper by a clear mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ifconfig wrote:
    Keellin Shanley doesn't float my boat at all
    I agree with mike65 that she's 'warm' but I'm continually distracted by her dire pronunciation of many words!

Yes I will agree that her accent is really awful (apparently we live in Orrland), but she is a far better broadcast journalist than Mary Wilson.

• Advertisement

yes definitely a D4 or its environs girl our Keelin, herself and Emma Mcnamara of business report must be good buddies.:)

Give her a chance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

I see Gavin Jennings is doing sport this week... interesting choice.

Mr Jennings I hear has been promoted to the News at One (well, last week at least).

Interesting choice that Mr Jennings is now at RTE after working at BBC Radio Foyle on its News at One, coincidentally (I might add) the former home of Ana Leddy. No rats to be smelt here.

Is he any relation to Brian Jennings?

And as for Liveline, have you noticed that Damien always interrupts callers. Not I might add with a pertinent follow up question, but to give the Phone and Text number. I actually thought it was Damien Farrelly to begin with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Nightwish wrote:
    And flutterinBantam, the girl on rte sport is Evanne Ni Chuillinn. I was in school with her.
    And strangely enough I was in college with Siobhan Madigan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ifconfig wrote:
    hmm
    I've avoided 5/live what'ya'call it for the last 6 mths or whatever.
    Yes Mary Wilson is not the most uplifting but
    K Shanley to me is the quintissential example of the sort of contrived
    juxtaposed faux-mid-atlantic-d4-dartspeak-bland politically correct
    soundbite trite that I fear RTE may be converging towards....

sorry... rant...

to give a balance Keelin is a very capable and energetic journalist
    but it is rare to find a breed who excels as incisive journalist and
    anchor. My vote is still with Matt Cooper by a clear mile.

matt cooper unfairly attacks people if personally doesn't like them

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Nail on the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Teatime

RadioCity wrote:
    Mr Jennings I hear has been promoted to the News at One (well, last week at least).

Interesting choice that Mr Jennings is now at RTE after working at BBC Radio Foyle on its News at One, coincidentally (I might add) the former home of Ana Leddy. No rats to be smelt here.

Is he any relation to Brian Jennings?

He's been standing in for Sean O'Rourke for over three years now - well before Ana Leddy joined RTE - and she has no control over the newsroom programmes on RTE Radio ie Morning Ireland, News at One, This Week etc

No relation apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Just listening to Cooper and he is still going on about that skit done by Mario Rosenstock, when he posed as Eddie Hobbs on the phone to the Last Word last year. It was patently obvious that it was not Hobbs yet Cooper is still wittering on about how he was taken in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I forgot to mention a female reporter on Sport with an irish name,not Siobhan Madigan, who is not bad by the way.

She is new but sounds she has a bit of a personality,which is rare enough in RTE Sport.

Anyone got a photo of Siobhan Madigan. Tried rte website and a google search but vould not come up with anything. When the female sports presenters were on the Late Late a few months back, i thought she might have been on too.

bbop wrote: »
    Must say the standard of Sport bullitins on Radio1 and 2fm is terrible, both the girls on it constantly get names of players, clubs wrong. Also listening in today, they were still giving the wrong sa-nz rugby score as a latest score 2 hours aftyer the game has finshed, in general they just sound like they dont have any passion for sport.
    Have to say for quick updates Today Fm is the most reliable
    while Newstalk arent bad for the indepth stuff in the evenings

Maybe mistakes might be sown to wrong info passed on or wrong script picked up before going on air.

ifconfig wrote: »

Is she the presenter of the programme about Jack Lynch and the North last night on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Anyone got a photo of Siobhan Madigan. Tried rte website and a google search but vould not come up with anything. When the female sports presenters were on the Late Late a few months back, i thought she might have been on too.

Guess that's her in the middle with Joanne Cantwell on the left, and my favourite Evanne on the right.

0000da1410dr.jpg

Guess that's her in the middle with Joanne Cantwell on the left, and my favourite Evanne on the right.

0000da1410dr.jpg

Always got the impression that she would be much older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep. That's her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Galwaybuzz

I think most of the female presenters on rte radio are brilliant, its great to here women talk about sport!!!

Galwaybuzz wrote: »
    I think most of the female presenters on rte radio are brilliant, its great to here women talk about sport!!!

Would like to see more on the TV. I thought maybe one of them would have been given the Sunday Game.

Marian Finucanne is babbling away like she's desperately filling in time. What a load of old waffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

mike65 wrote: »
    Marian Finucanne is babbling away like she's desperately filling in time. What a load of old waffle.

Rachel English was far superior in the same role.Good old Myles is on now, so I'm off out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

IronMan wrote: »
    Rachel English was far superior in the same role.Good old Myles is on now, so I'm off out.

Rachel is back in a few weeks AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I didn't listen to it, but according to the RTE website she started presenting Saturday View today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

dh0661 wrote: »
    Rachel is back in a few weeks AFAIK

Back in 3 weeks.

Greenman wrote: »
    Back in 3 weeks.

Was annoyed when I turned on to hear Marian as well. Rachel was much better, time to put Marian out to pasture and reel in some of that fortune of taxpayers money that she gets. Typical public service, astronomical wages because of time served, not on productivity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Was annoyed when I turned on to hear Marian as well. Rachel was much better, time to put Marian out to pasture and reel in some of that fortune of taxpayers money that she gets. Typical public service, astronomical wages because of time served, not on productivity.

+ 1 pal ..what a freekin sinecure...must have a really watertight contract..I would sack whichever RTE Honcho signed it orf.

As for Keelin Shanley..warm ???!

Cold as a witches tit in this posters opinion....

No no the ones that really grind my gears are thaose female co-presenters on shows like Gerry Ryan who desparetly try an get as much mic time as possible..the one on the Gerry Ryan show in particular...can't think of her name.

Terrible !

No no the ones that really grind my gears are thaose female co-presenters on shows like Gerry Ryan who desparetly try an get as much mic time as possible..the one on the Gerry Ryan show in particular...can't think of her name.

Terrible !

Evelyn O'Rourke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Evelyn O'Rourke.

Thanks Deadhead.......shivers

Thats the one all right.......The Crown runs screaming into the night.......:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Neena Ni Nawna

The one with the unpronounceable name and grating, whining voice who talks about birds on the Mooney show.

I turn off as fast as I can get to the dial, definitely the worst presenter on RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Rachel English sounds like she cares about what she's reporting on, her voice gives off a more emotive tone than most of the other presenters.

I can't believe there's so much indifference to Mary Wilson in this thread, Philistines!

Amalgam wrote: »
    I can't believe there's so much indifference to Mary Wilson in this thread, Philistines!

Well I thought she would be great as a presenter, but unfortunately she's turned out to be fairly one dimensional. No real sense of humour, seems to be really tight to the scripts (sounding almost like the text-to-speech on computer at times)... RTE must be very disappointed how she has made the transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Evelyn O'Rourke.

evelyn has on occasion been given the gig of doing it says in the papers , she is utterly unsuitable for this role , one needs a voice with gravitas to fulfill this role and an ultra girly styled presenter like o rourke cant cut it , i perfer a man doing it says in the papers to be honest although alison o connor does a very good job whenever she,s on duty

Noone has yet to match Paddy Clancy at "It Says in the Papers". He had a sense of humour and sarcasm rarely heard on radio at that hour of the morning!

Do RTE 1 have the facilities to have webcams. I am starting to get hooked (sorry bad joke) watching George Hook in the evenings on the net and would like to see more national and local shows on the net.

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Do RTE 1 have the facilities to have webcams. I am starting to get hooked (sorry bad joke) watching George Hook in the evenings on the net and would like to see more national and local shows on the net.

I think Morning Ireland is on webcam these days.

I think Morning Ireland is on webcam these days.

LOL, a little early for me, but might check it out some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I tuned in to Drivetime on Wed & Thursday last for the first time since Mary Wilson took over. Wow, I was taken aback at how poor she was. She seemed to be one of the brightest reporters on the books of RTE. She is clearly not suited to presenting it seems. Her interviews on the shows I listened to sounded like they had been scripted by a transition year student and she seemed incapable of a change in direction. The whole thing sounded laboured, poorly researched and staid. To top it off Marty Morrissey presented the sports segment with all the pomp of a regional jock on his first day.
    Is she always this bad or was it an off two days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

Aidric wrote: »
    Is she always this bad or was it an off two days?

no shes terrible....she has a really condescending tone of voice too....back to reportage for MW

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭froodie

spadder wrote: »
    Neena Ni Nawna

The one with the unpronounceable name and grating, whining voice who talks about birds on the Mooney show.

I turn off as fast as I can get to the dial, definitely the worst presenter on RTE

Éanna Ní Lamhna? She's more there because she knows her stuff and is interesting to listen to. I think she's great. Not a great radio voice, but at least she is entertaining and has a personality.

I always liked Mary Wilson as a court reporter. Good looking, professional, good deadpan delivery. But I think the DriveTime show is a bit of a mess.

Listening to it there today. They had a section about Michelle Obama, who's gene pool has been traced back to Offaly, and they had the genealogist on who had carried out the project. They introduce the genealogist and straight away she's backing up the truck saying "I didnt say that. I've been misquoted, I only said that it was likely that she could be traced back to the Offaly area.... " .. very embarrassing for Mary.

Then, in the same hour, she's interviewing Bromwyn Enright and introduces her as a Green Party member. "Mary, I left the Green Party".

This show is VERY sloppy, badly researched and badly presented. I think Mary should be put back into reporting, what she is good at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

froodie wrote: »
    Éanna Ní Lamhna? She's more there because she knows her stuff and is interesting to listen to. I think she's great. Not a great radio voice, but at least she is entertaining and has a personality.

incredibly dogmatic and obnoxious woman but a charechter all the same

Just announced on the news this evening, presenters wages.
    http://www.rte.ie/arts/2009/1009/rte.html
    Marian Finucane earned €470,013 in 2007 - jumping to €570,000 in 2008.

Can anybody explain to me on what basis Marian Finucane got a 20% pay rise? Wasnt it around that time that she moved from five days a week to two days a week. RTE pissing away the tax payers money as usual. Why can they not just say "we dont need you any more?", and let her get a job somewhere else like any normal person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

froodie wrote: »

Thought id post it here rather new thread..but twice in a week she has said she is 87....cant be true can it?

Soby wrote: »
    Thought id post it here rather new thread..but twice in a week she has said she is 87....cant be true can it?

She was in today, and she clarified that she is not 87, I think she's said she's 59. Listen back to the podcast and you will find out for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement