Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need a tax disc fast!

Options
  • 23-06-2007 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Or rather, my friend does. It's his car. He has a note from the tax office to show to the Guards should he get stopped. But I have his car at the moment because I'm doing my driving test on Tuesday in it. Is there any way of accomplishing this or should I start looking to get another car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It all rather depends on what the 'note' says. Does it say he's paid it or that the change of ownership is in progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

ned78 wrote:
    It all rather depends on what the 'note' says. Does it say he's paid it or that the change of ownership is in progress?

It says he has paid. Im insured on his policy too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Get another car mate, I was in the same position with my insurance - had a letter to say the disk was in the post, but they wouldn't let me do the test. You might get lucky, but I wouldn't risk it. Good luck in the test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

should have went up and got the disc on the spot at the office rather than through post . Thats wat u get for being lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

C_Breeze wrote:
    should have went up and got the disc on the spot at the office rather than through post . Thats wat u get for being lazy

Maybe if you actually read my OP you'd realise your talking sh!te. It's not my car, it's my friends car. Also, even if it was my car there could be a perfectly good reason why I didn't go up to the office. If you dont have anything to contribute other than misinformed dribble dont bother posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As the others said get another car. Car has to be road legal for the test and non-display of tax makes in illegal. He can also get fined if the car is parked on the street, so be careful of where you park it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

tbh wrote:
    You might get lucky, but I wouldn't risk it. Good luck in the test!

Not a hope you will miss it....

Start looking for another car now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

any excuse for the tester not to let you do the test and they will cancel it

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Do the testers actually take out the tax disc and look that it matches the registration plate of the car?
    Or do they just look at it from outside that the expiry date is correct?

how did it turn out, OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

Cianos wrote:
    Or rather, my friend does. It's his car. He has a note from the tax office to show to the Guards should he get stopped. But I have his car at the moment because I'm doing my driving test on Tuesday in it. Is there any way of accomplishing this or should I start looking to get another car?
    I wouldn't chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Do the testers actually take out the tax disc and look that it matches the registration plate of the car?
    Or do they just look at it from outside that the expiry date is correct?
    Depends on the tester. You can see the date and the reg number from outside, so any tester I've had did actually check it against the reg.

The actual situation with tax discs is that it is illegal to drive a vehicle in a public place without displaying a valid tax disc. End of story. Letters from the tax office, receipts, or any excuses are legally invalid. A Garda would be entitled to confiscate your vehicle and bring you to court, regardless of the amount of documentation you present.
    With this in mind, the testers are not only looking for your ability to drive, but also for you to obey the law in all aspects of driving of car, including displaying the correct discs, and maintaining your vehicle to the correct standard.

In reality, letters from the tax office and receipts do work, and Gardai do accept them. This is because both the courts and the Gardai are only interested in punishing people who are actually doing wrong, not people who are caught on a legal technicality but otherwise have done no moral/ethical wrong. The spirit of the law is the key here - the law in question is to make sure that everyone has paid their tax. If you've paid your tax, but are not displaying the disc, then you're still obeying the spirit of the law, even if you've technically committed an offence.

yeah, exactly, but I think that its the concept of enforcement that means letters won't work for the test. In other words, the driving testers are there to test your driving, not to work out if you letter from the insurance/tax is valid/real/legal etc - it's much easier to "black-and-white" it - if you don't have a disk, you can't do the test, full stop. I suppose there is also the concept that if you are not organized enough to have everything sorted for the day - like I wasn't - who knows what could be wrong with your car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It would be interesting to see the Gardai bring a case for non-display of tax to court for someone waiting on a replacement tax disc as the current wait for postal applications is between 3-4 weeks.

Very unfair to punish tax paying citizens for the governments inefficiancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Whoops, should have clarified - yes as tbh says, nothing but a disc will work for the testers. They are there to ensure that your vehicle is road legal. No tax disc = not road legal. Black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

They had a good like at all my dics before the test and checked to see that they matched the registration number.

Advertisement