Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow loading webpages?

Options
  • 23-06-2007 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

I am currently on BT 1MB broadband. I have a problem where a number of websites I visit partly load, usually only the title image, and then they just hang and nothing else seems to load for a good 30-40 seconds. Sometimes I'll click the refresh button but this seems to make no difference.

I have changed my DNS to OpenDNS, I've used some info from other websites to tweak the TCP/IP settings and I've made sure all my other phone sockets have filters yet I still get quite a few websites that take forever to load. What makes it worse is that these websites aren't particularly heavy in terms of size!

Does anyone have any possible solutions to this problem? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Download ccleaner and run it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Limerick is the same, data just starts and stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

stanley1 wrote:
    Download ccleaner and run it.

I've just done that - seems to have cleared out a lot of crap but unfortunately the websites are still loading quite slowly! Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Leave the IP and DNS to automatic. Clear the internet files and cookies. Try ping a website.
    Start>run>cmd> ping www.rte.ie

If that fails try reinstall IE or firefox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭speedbird1

I have same problem with BT, slow loading on 2MB package. This only started about 10 days ago as prior to that there was no problem.
    Come on BT what the hell is going on. ????
    I have tried all sorts but nothing so far has improved the situtation.
    Anyone got any suggestions apart from reverting to Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

speedbird1 wrote:
    I have same problem with BT, slow loading on 2MB package. This only started about 10 days ago as prior to that there was no problem.
    Come on BT what the hell is going on. ????
    I have tried all sorts but nothing so far has improved the situtation.
    Anyone got any suggestions apart from reverting to Eircom.

You sure its not something on the computer? If you checked everything, call BT and ask them if they are having problems or get them to check your connection.

I'm with Eircom, i dont have a bad word against them, never get any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Try taking the speedtest here:http://www.speedtest.net/
    To see if you're getting normal 2mb speeds. I'm on eircom 2mb and usually get around 2350kbps:
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/144521654.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]144521654.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Try CTRL+F5 to reload the webpage from new, doesnt used the cached version.

Leave the IP and DNS to automatic. Clear the internet files and cookies. Try ping a website.
    Start>run>cmd> ping www.rte.ie

If that fails try reinstall IE or firefox.

Here are my results:
    [89.207.56.94] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.207.56.94: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.207.56.94: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.207.56.94: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.207.56.94: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=58
    Ping statistics for 89.207.56.94:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 25ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 27ms

Are these results good or bad :o ?

muffinhead wrote: »
    I am currently on BT 1MB broadband. I have a problem where a number of websites I visit partly load, usually only the title image, and then they just hang and nothing else seems to load for a good 30-40 seconds. Sometimes I'll click the refresh button but this seems to make no difference.

Well I have finally resolved the problem of the 30-40 sec delays when certain websites load.

Just recently I changed my browser to Firefox and in the status bar, when these websites would hang, it would often say 'waiting for ad.******.com'.

I discovered that Firefox offer an Add-on called Adblock Plus which (as the name suggests) seems to block almost all ads on a website and in doing so, these slow-loading webpages now load at the fast broadband speed they should.

So if anyone else is having a similar problem this could be a possible solution :) .

• Advertisement
Advertisement