Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non standard entry on the CAO

Options
  • 23-06-2007 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey,

I was wondering does students with a learning disability or a disability can the get lower points in the CAO ??? . And how many points to they get less ??? . And has anyone here apply or even done this . Apply for a Non standard entry on the CAO ???. AND ???. (lower points into a college or university course )

Shane,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

i dont think its cao that give thats lower points, its in the way your exams are corrected or the exam that you take?? it depends on how severe the disability is. i have a friend with a disability and she sat totally different papers than everyone one else, didnt cover half as much topics and questions are asked in a nicer way..

i guess it depends on the disability in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Yup, afaik they don't get lower points. Instead they get extra time in the exam upto about 15 minutes. The only one I know more about, is dyslexia - people who have it get to use a computer in every exam to answer the test, and they automatically get their own room, they can also get an exemption from learning a third language as-well afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I know a lad who broke his arm and got 30 mins extra which seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I've (had, but not according to my lovely doctor!) a stammer and as a result got all the time I wanted in my orals.

I've replied to your thread on the TCD forum here. It is possible to get into college if you are disabled even if you did not receive the level of points, although your academic achievements will be taken into account. (i.e. LC results).

I think it's generally done on a case by case basis, and thus there isn't a specific criteria such as how many points you get less.

Edit: Whoops, linked to the MEMS thread instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Shane80

Myth wrote:
    Whoops, linked to the MEMS thread instead.

Thanks for your replys there were very help full . And what did you mean by what i have quoted ???

Shane80 wrote:
    Thanks for your replys there were very help full . And what did you mean by what i have quoted ???

In my post, I accidentally linked to another thread in the TCD forum instead first, then edited it out :)

Whatever college you're going to be applying to, you should contact their student disability department and they'll point you in the right directions.

Good luck :)

Edit: Oh, and there are some links for the student disability departments available in the Resources thread of the Mature & Non-Traditional Student forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I know some1 who's deaf. He got 200 something in his leaving and got into engineering. Ended up dropping out but thats a different story. Dnt kno how he got in or anything if thats what you asking

izzyflusky wrote:
    I know some1 who's deaf. He got 200 something in his leaving and got into engineering. Ended up dropping out but thats a different story. Dnt kno how he got in or anything if thats what you asking

Yeah thanks ....

izzyflusky wrote:

READ YOUR MAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement