Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Knack of Driving not coming to Me

Options
  • 23-06-2007 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey,

I have had over 10 lessons with quite a good and patient instructor but apparently I just dont appear to be taking to driving. I think I am ok but my instrctor still has to use his pedals and take the wheel and assist me turning corners. He also says (in a nice way) I should be better than I am at this stage having had as many lessons.

One week I will be good and the next I am terrible and nearly causing accidents. In fairness to me, I was ill with Vertigo in 2 lessons and have had some recent personal issues which may be holding me back from learning. I am afraid that maybe driving is not for me but I am desperate to get a car for work reasons.

Has anyone else had a similar situation happen to them? I thought I would have my car by now but dont want to get one until I am safe to be left alone in a car.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cx

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

At least you have a nice instructor which is half the battle. Some people just take longer to pick it up, especially if you're nervous, your mind is elsewhere and you don't have a vehicle to practice in. Ten lessons isn't that much- some people need more, some need less. The average is 20 lessons, so you're only halfway there! I had 15 lessons with the ISM and am now taking another course of 5 before I go out to practice with a friend who has kindly offered her services.

Does your instructor take you out onto main roads where you feel overwhelmed? Maybe you should try going back to basics for a lesson- just practice stopping, starting, turning corners etc in a nice quiet housing estate.
    Do you know any friends/family members who would be willing to take you out for a practice? Perhaps take five more lessons and then go out driving with someone to build up your confidence or make a start getting your own car, it'll be good motivation.

From your post "I think I'm ok" "In fairness to me I was ill.." I can see that you think you're doing alright. Just stick with it and don't let the 'I had three lessons, then drove from Dublin to Cork' types get you down. ;)
    Remember how you were at the beginning and you'll see how much you have improved! :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Some people take longer than others.

It all boils down to practice (and a good instructor). If you are only taking one lesson a week and getting no practice in between, it'll take a lot longer than someone getting one lesson a week and having 3/4 practice lessons in between.

I (many years ago) didn't have that much professional tuition (about 10 x 1.5hrs), but I did have about 4 times that in practice being taken out with a relative. So although all this happened in a three week period, I did clock up 75+ hours on the road before sitting my test.

Keep at it, it'll all come together. Try and get as much practice as you can between lessons.

HTH,
    Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Claire_lou1983

Thanks Guys I appreciate your advice.

I think I am actually just being a little hard on myself, I am not practicing in between lessons as there is no car at home. Also everyones learning styles are different and I learn from being left to own devices and having an instructor telling me what to do makes me lazy.

Karyn, my instructor brings me mainly on country roads as I live in Clonsilla and not main roads. We do lots of stopping and starting and going round rounds abouts. I think my perception is not very good as I tend to have the hard too near the kerb or the middle white lines.

I am only tiny and struggle to see over the stearing wheel, people joked about it before I started driving but tis actually true :rolleyes:

I am feeling really reassured actually as I have people telling me all the time that I should only need 10 lessons. From reading these boards I can tell that wont be the case so thanks a million. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

I am only tiny and struggle to see over the stearing wheel, people joked about it before I started driving but tis actually true :rolleyes:

QUOTE]

It may seem simple but maybe consider sitting on a cushion.. Ive seen quite a few people do this and it seems to help. Im small myself but luckily I can raise the height of the seat in my car as well as adjust the steering wheel. Have a look in your manual and you can possibly do the same.

As you are petite, I think your perception and confidence will improve a lot if you can get yourself into better, more comfortable driving position. As Macca suggested, a cushion is one way of gaining height if the seat lacks height adjustment. Some cars have greater seat adjustment range than others too. I've noticed also, that the new Nissan Micras and Toyotas Yaris have the driver position relatively high compared to older small cars.

My mum is only 4'11" and has no bother driving a Mercedes E300 estate. She didn't have much problem with both the Volvo 240 estate and Jaguar XJ12 we had years ago. But every car I've got into after my mum, I've had to throw THAT cushion into the back!

Really, if you can get more hours in behind the wheel, it'll do you no end of good. Keep at it and be positive. You'll do it.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats a good idea re: a cussion I might bring one on my next lesson and see if it helps with my driving. I intend buying a Yaris so its music to my ears that they have the seat positioned higher. I am learning to drive in a yarid but it a slightly older model.

I sat into a Hyundai Coupe when out looking in a second hand car dealership and I literally could not see the road in front me me. I dont think I will be driving a sporty car like ever, I dont know how people drive them personally :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭niavie

Hey,

I have had over 10 lessons with quite a good and patient instructor but apparently I just dont appear to be taking to driving. I think I am ok but my instrctor still has to use his pedals and take the wheel and assist me turning corners. He also says (in a nice way) I should be better than I am at this stage having had as many lessons.

One week I will be good and the next I am terrible and nearly causing accidents. In fairness to me, I was ill with Vertigo in 2 lessons and have had some recent personal issues which may be holding me back from learning. I am afraid that maybe driving is not for me but I am desperate to get a car for work reasons.

Has anyone else had a similar situation happen to them? I thought I would have my car by now but dont want to get one until I am safe to be left alone in a car.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cx

Im exactly like yourself, some lessons im really confident and the lessons go really well and others just go miserably and its all to do with personal stuff goin on around me AND my younger brother started learning after me and hes zippin around the place in a new car now :( just stick at it and itll happen!! all u can do is try your best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Your post sounds so like how i felt that i needed to reply!

I too felt exactly the same, i feel like im getting nowhere and to be honest i think half of it comes from the pressure i put on myself to be good and how disheartned i feel from hearing how "AMAZING" other people are, those who gloat about being naturals!!!.

some people do just take longer so dont beat yourself up about it!

ive taken 14 hours and instructor wants me to do more but i just cant face it, ive recently started to practise in my own car wit a family friend and it honestly is the best thing i have ever done. im less up tight in my own car and i dont make the "stupid mistakes" i make in the learner car, i feel this is down to knowing its up to me to control everything as there are no second controls. i intend to practise myself before i take anymore lessons.
    I am not practicing in between lessons as there is no car at home.
    remember you wouldnt expect someone without a piano to play Mozart perfectly after a few lessons so dont expect yourself to be amazing in the car if you cant practise between lessons

best of luck and keep your spirits up

Thanks squishywishy, it only occured to me yesterday that 20 lessons are gonna end up costing me €500 its crazy money when you think of it. Also I will have the expense of a car an insurance when I can actually drive.

I have actually considered going back to working in town, I wouldnt need a car if I did. Its funny I am working a 10 minutes drive from my job but its a killer to get to my car/foot so I am in a bit of a pickle.

Your right tho about hearing other peoples stories and expecting to be able to drive by now, my Mum learned to drive in 4 lessons and she is a great driver. If I was to learn in someone elses car would I have to get myself put on their insurance?? Can you do that for a short space of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

When I took my lessons, I used take them 2 at a time. It takes time to settle down at the start of a lesson and doing this I gave me plenty of time to settle down and get the feel of the car. Try it once, it might help.

• Advertisement

If I was to learn in someone elses car would I have to get myself put on their insurance??

Yes you would
    Can you do that for a short space of time?

Don't see why not. Insurers will usually re-calculate the premium until the expiry date of the policy. For example, if someone had 9 months to go on their policy, they would probably add 9 months of premium increase. If the additional driver was removed from the policy 3 months before the end, they may reduce it for the last three months. Insurers vary in their way of calculating these charges, so it's always best to ask the insurer what they will charge for the change in the circumstances AND what will charge for a paperwork alteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Really dont get disheartned!!! i had a lesson today and it went WAY better....but that doesnt mean i wont be crap next week!!

i agree about the 2 hr lessons...i do them that way too and i feel it really helps too!!

its worth looking into driving some1 elses car....driving my own over the last week has increased my confidence and ability tenfold!!

PM me if u really panic after a crap lesson and ill share some horror stories to make you feel capable!!!

Advertisement