Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with wireless internet

Options
  • 23-06-2007 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a problem withy my wireless internet and I was wondering if you could give me opinions on whether you think it is faulty hardware or just incorrect configuration.
    Basically we have a secure wireless network in the house which my two housemates can connect to without problems. Whenever I try however, the network status flicks between 'not connected' and 'acquiring network address' and this continues until I eventually give up trying.
    There are a lot of unsecured networks in the neighbourhood and (yes, I know it's bad but I needed to know) I was able to connect to any of those without problems.
    So to summarise - my laptop will not connect to my own home network, which my other two housemates use without problems, but it will connect to other networks?
    I have an Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG with the latest drivers form the Intel site, which didn't solve anything. Should I just format and re-install everything?

Do you guys think this is a hardware or a software problem?
    It is really annoying me - I have to borrow my housemates laptops to use the internet and I would like to get this sorted.
    Thanks

<edit> Just remembered I ran that winsock fix thingie and it didn't help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Almost anything can be fixed without a re-install.

BTW, this is nothing to do with Broadband. There is a WiFi Forum.

Try
    disabling all the Intel Wireless utilities,
    Start Run Services.msc Set Wireless Zero Config to Automatic and Sarted
    Go Start Settings Network and in the WiFi card properties set to "Let Windows manage my WiFi"
    Then enter SSID and Key etc.

(Yes I know Wisdom used to be 3rd party was better than Windows config, but doing this has fixed loads of Dells with Intel WiFi).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Thanks, I'll try that, and you're right - I made a mistake- this should be in wireless forum. The mods can move it if they want.

Advertisement