Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line stats have changed, please advise

Options
  • 23-06-2007 2:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

I had issues with BT broadband and made a couple of complaints to Eircom/BT.

Since they "checked" the line my stats have radically changed, can anyone tell me these stats have got worse or better?

Downstream = 3072kbps, Line Attenuation = 15.5db (was 30.0db), Noise Margin = 21.6db

Upstream = 384kbps, Line Attenuation = 16.0db, Noise Margin = 18db

Why would the line attenuation on the downstream get cut on half???

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I had issues with BT broadband and made a couple of complaints to Eircom/BT.

Since they "checked" the line my stats have radically changed, can anyone tell me these stats have got worse or better?

Downstream = 3072kbps, Line Attenuation = 15.5db (was 30.0db), Noise Margin = 21.6db

Upstream = 384kbps, Line Attenuation = 16.0db, Noise Margin = 18db

Why would the line attenuation on the downstream get cut on half???

:(
    I know very little but isn't less attenuation a good thing? Why are you upset at that, have you noticed any difference in download speeds? The higher the attenuation figure the worse your line is (that's what I was told in an old thread)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'm seeeking advice if my line attenuation is worse or better then before. I'm not sure if a lower figure is good or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

2 possible reasons for the change in stats.

1. They did some major work on your line (probably replaced).
    2. They came in the middle of the night and moved your house closer to the exchange.

My guess would be #1.:D

The general rule of thumb with attenuation is the lower the better and with SN margin is the higher the better. Your current stats are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I'm seeeking advice if my line attenuation is worse or better then before. I'm not sure if a lower figure is good or not.
    Did you read my reply?? I said lower attenuation is good news.

Advertisement