Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ipnat.sys - Windoze firewall won't start

• 23-06-2007 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I've taken AVG firewall off a fileserver (to allow CIsearch to be accessed on my LAN) and I want to replace it with the windows firewall - but I'm getting a strange error message when I click on the firewall icon in the control panel.

It says that

Windows Firewall can not run because another program or service is running that might use the Network Address Translation component (IPNat.sys)
    (btw - running SB03 with SP2)

What's going on?

By the way, I don't think that the server is at risk, since it's got a Sonicwall between it and the web; my reason for wanting the windows firewall up is in case some malware gets on to my internal network.

By the way - I was disappointed that AVG tech support couldn't configure the firewall to allow CIsearch to run - I was surprised to hear that AVG anti-malware Network Edition wasn't supposed to be used on file servers, they've offered me a partial refund - but if anyones considering rolling it out on their network it might be good to consider this problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I've found reports of this online, but I don't quite understand them. Can anyone translate this, please?

It is not recommended to use Windows Firewall on a RRAS server. If you use the server as a router, you should enable NAT; if you use the server as VPN, you should have another firewall.

Particularly, what's a RRAS server? Do I have one, since we can use a VPN to get to the shared drive in the office?

Advertisement