Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webcam videoconferencing...hard on download usage?

Options
  • 23-06-2007 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

I've got Eircom's 2MB package (20 GB download Monthly megabyte allowance, and unlimited upload). I'll be getting a webcam for me oul pair when i go back to Korea.

Do webcams take a big chunk out of one's monthly download usage? I'll probably be using the webcam once a week for a live videoconference (using SKYPE), lasting about an hour or so.

Does the type of webcam have an influence on the download usage? The webcam i'll be getting will probably be a 30 frame per second, 640 x 480 resolution one.

Any opinions on the issue would be gratefully appreciated. Merci.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Shinto wrote:
    Hi everybody,

I've got Eircom's 2MB package (20 GB download Monthly megabyte allowance, and unlimited upload). I'll be getting a webcam for me oul pair when i go back to Korea.

Do webcams take a big chunk out of one's monthly download usage? I'll probably be using the webcam once a week for a live videoconference (using SKYPE), lasting about an hour or so.

Does the type of webcam have an influence on the download usage? The webcam i'll be getting will probably be a 30 frame per second, 640 x 480 resolution one.

Any opinions on the issue would be gratefully appreciated. Merci.

I'm not sure but I have never come across eircom charging anyone for exceeding the download cap. I'd say it's unlikely that they will exceed the 20GB download limit anyway if it's only an hour a week and as for upload, the 2mb package has an unlimited upload cap anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Typically though it will run at 176 x128, you are limited on upstream speed to about 128K or 256k depending on package..

It's the other person's Webcam that uses up your download and downstream speed.

Once a week on Skype fro an 1hr would be un-noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Thank you very much, the two of you. Very kind indeed.

Advertisement