Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel pump

Options
  • 23-06-2007 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

iv been told my fuel pump is goin in my 1.2 96 punto how much would i expect to pay for this?.. also its only doing 250 miles to a full tank around 55€ to fill it would the fuel pump be causing the low miles to a full tank?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fuel pump has nothing to do with economy (or lack of). The fuel mixture could be too rich, that would show itself in other ways like sooty spark plugs.

What symptoms prompted someone to mention the pump?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

mike65 wrote:
    Fuel pump has nothing to do with economy (or lack of). The fuel mixture could be too rich, that would show itself in other ways like sooty spark plugs.

What symptoms prompted someone to mention the pump?

Mike.

there is a smell of petrol when driving the car is that a sign its going? iv also changed the spark plugs.. should i not be getting at least 400 miles to a full tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

who told you the pump is going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Petrol smell could be for a number of reasons, overfueling, a leak and that could be anywhere along the fuel lines, you'll need to get the bonnet up and have a good sniff (check the fuel cap too!), does the car behave itself during driving? No rough running/starting/stalling?

Mike.

colm_mcm wrote:
    who told you the pump is going?
    Mechanic told me

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Petrol smell could be for a number of reasons, overfueling, a leak and that could be anywhere along the fuel lines, you'll need to get the bonnet up and have a good sniff (check the fuel cap too!), does the car behave itself during driving? No rough running/starting/stalling?

Mike.

when its rainin good after a bit the car starts to jump.. da revs drop and i could hav my foot to the floor in 2nd gear and it would take ages to build up speed and when it hits like 4000 revs it just takes off

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Vain wrote:
    when its rainin good after a bit the car starts to jump.. da revs drop and i could hav my foot to the floor in 2nd gear and it would take ages to build up speed and when it hits like 4000 revs it just takes off

that symptom does not fit in with a typical fuel pump problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Have you tried chaning Air Filter/Fuel Filter,Spark plugs, HT Leads & Rotar Arm/Distributer Cap , I would start with these in order before going to fuel pump. Doesn't sound like a problem by this.

Webmonkey wrote:
    Have you tried chaning Air Filter/Fuel Filter,Spark plugs, HT Leads & Rotar Arm/Distributer Cap , I would start with these in order before going to fuel pump. Doesn't sound like a problem by this.

i have a sports air filter on the car but that was tuned to the engine.. i also have changed the spark plugs.

Advertisement