Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

768 Mb not 1 GB ???

Options
  • 23-06-2007 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    All of the high end 8800 models are 768 Mb (IE GFX & Ultra) , Well I was wondering why not 1 GB ?? It seems a little strange that they just stop at 768 Mb ?

Barry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Hey Guys,
    All of the high end 8800 models are 768 Mb (IE GFX & Ultra) , Well I was wondering why not 1 GB ?? It seems a little strange that they just stop at 768 Mb ?

Barry.

Cost I presume. The type of memory used in graphics cards is failry pricey, and I would image it would give a marginal benefit at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

GeForce 8800GTX uses a 384-bit memory bus (64x6 -12 RAM chips on each card) so the amount of RAM works out differently hence the 768MB amount. The 8800GTS uses a 320-bit memory bus so thats why it has 320/640MB amounts.

Radeon HD 29xx series uses 512-bit memory bus hence the 512MB/1GB options.

Going over the 1GB limit for NVIDIA might mean a new card required with a different memory bus layout or going over the 1GB which would make it a very expensive card for little benefit. Only at extreme resolutions with lots of AA/AF does that amount of RAM on the card actually becomes useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Hey thanks 8T8 , Very helpful :)

Barry.

Advertisement