Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To Ireland, need to sort out banking

Options
  • 23-06-2007 4:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Howya,
    I'm coming over to Galway for university in September, from England.
    What's the story re: banks? I'll be looking to set up a student account, who offers the best service?
    I'm also going to be taking out a small loan to cover initial costs, would you recommend doing that over here (UK) or in Ireland?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Bank Of Ireland Student Offering

BOI have a branch in NUIG

AIB Student Plus

AIB have a branch in NUIG also

Toss up between BOI and AIB TBH. The rest of the banks dont have the branch network / are not really interested in catering for students. As for getting a loan, you might be best get it sorted out before you leave. You might get it hard to get a loan straight after you open an account. Usually banks like to see some money going through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Hmm it's not like there's much money going through my account at present anyway! I'll be getting a job ASAP after I move over, and hopefully get one this summer while I'm here. Surely if you're taking out a loan with a student account they won't be expecting much activity in your account to date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Interest rates should be lower over here (ECB rates < UK rates), so if you can borrow in Ireland then do.

Hmm BOI seem to be better from what I read there. What's your opinion?
    I think I'll email them and ask about a loan and opening an account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Do you have any UK acceptances through UCAS? If so you can open a UK student account, clear out the interest free overdraft and then repay it/close the account once you're set up.

I chose BOI over AIB because their package was slightly better....Irish banking is pretty pants though compared to the UK in general. Having to pay the government for the priviledge of having a debit card on the account is just the start of it lol.

• Advertisement

Do you have any UK acceptances through UCAS? If so you can open a UK student account, clear out the interest free overdraft and then repay it/close the account once you're set up.
    Yeah I applied over here as well, got all six offers and you then accept two, which I have. Would I not get in trouble for doing that? Especially if I don't actually accept my place at a UK uni...
    Having to pay the government for the priviledge of having a debit card on the account
    is that the stamp duty thing i read about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

ellscurr wrote:

I chose BOI over AIB because their package was slightly better....Irish banking is pretty pants though compared to the UK in general. Having to pay the government for the priviledge of having a debit card on the account is just the start of it lol.
    Call me crazy but I'd much prefer Irish banking charges than English ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Hmm BOI seem to be better from what I read there. What's your opinion?
    I think I'll email them and ask about a loan and opening an account.

If you want to email, Hugh Hamrock is the Student Officer in BOI NUIG - hugh.hamrock@boimail.com (This info is from the website - http://www.bankofireland.ie/html/gws/students/third_level/branch_finder/index.html). However, you might be better ring the NUIG branch (+353 91 524555) and get talking to the man himself.

To open your an account you will need ID and proof that you are a student (i.e. an offer of a place or a student card).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Sangre wrote:
    Call me crazy but I'd much prefer Irish banking charges than English ones.

I've never paid a penny in bank charges in England.

OP Natwest are usually very forthcoming...and you can just say you dropped out once you've repaid the OD :D

Advertisement