Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading Survey

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

12 Euro a box in Athlone and Galway for hollow point, somehting like 9 something for FMJ, and don't feckin go buying them all (HP) I need to get some next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Not evey enclosed space is dangerous Veg.It is a question of the right materials and the laws of physics.
    Vol of gas produced Vs the enclosed space + strength of the enclosing container where the gas is produced.
    Metal is out anyway due to the chance of static or loose powder hitting off a hinge ,rim of door etc and sparking off.Wood is your only option.

well when i say enclosed space and powder I am talking of a kg or 2 of powder in a medium sized safe (Like the volume of the one I got from you say)

12 euro for 20 is cutting it tight alright. You could probably make more accurate ammo for that price but whats the point if you can save all the labour

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

johngalway wrote:
    and don't feckin go buying them all (HP) I need to get some next week :D

Oooooooooopss:o :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Vegeta wrote:
    well when i say enclosed space and powder I am talking of a kg or 2 of powder in a medium sized safe (Like the volume of the one I got from you say)

Not being a total egghead,I cant say what the xact formula would be to calculate this.But I would ASSume that by figuring out how many reloaded rounds toy would get from your 2Kg of powder[shotgun,rifle,pistol powder] and the brisance of each[IE how fast it burns,pistol powder being the fastest,shotgun the slowest].You could calculate this in rounds going to cook off.

Put it like this,If it was 2kg pipe bomb in that safe.Iwould want to be far away when it blew up!The containers are designed to if super heated to melt their plastic lids and burn off the powderin a relatively safe manner.[IE assuming they are stored in their shipping boxes in an upright manner.They should either vent upwards ,expand or rupture.They are not compressed powder so the explosive force isnt contained[Well somwhat].So unless the can fell over when it ignited,you might have a chance of being hit by a flying powder can as the power gas is coming out like a rocket venturi thru the hole.
    It is the gas volume that is the problem.It has to go somwhere.2 kg If it is burning off in say a normal room,you will have a hell of alot of smoke.Maybe anaerosol type bang,but then I reckon you will have a total conflaguration in that room .In the gunsafe I sold you[4gun]. I would run away very quickly..:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PeteotheNorth

Up here in the North/Northern Ireland the police specify that you keep your powder and primers in your gun cabinet/safe. As Clare gunner suggests this is totally crazy because it makes your gun cabinet into a pipe bomb type device in the event of a fire. Could kill your family and the firemen as well. I think I saw somewhere that some of the powder manufacturers recommend and actually specify designs for home storage safes that are made of heavy timber and can split at the seams before pressure builds up in the event of ignition. What the storage requirments here illustrate is that the cops here have not got a clue!
    Anyway reloading is almost as much fun as shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

QED.
    Germany,the powder must be stored in its original containers in a wooden box [shipping box will do]in your strongroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

remember that modern powder is a propellant not an explosive:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

i would love to reload if it were allowed here...i have a .22 hornet and a .308, which would make reloading perfect for me...and i plan to get a .223 so it would be fun to play with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Folks
    the safest place to store any deflagrating agent is in the open where if it does catch fire it is not confined and will burn off rapidly (hence wooden box in Germany)

For the record Black powder is far worse than modern smokeless powder and it is very nasty stuff. I worked with it a number of times for Dimensional stone blasts when in the UK and was never happy having a tonne of it in 25kg bags in a magazine, lined with ply or not.

As part of my a previous job I watched a small safe (Ammo safe) with 1lb of black powder in it blow or should I sayrapidly deflagrate as part of an experiment in a mock up of a room built complete with furnature etc , the safe was approx 2ft square and it blew the room a part very nasty.

We spoke at length about what would happen if it was smokeless powder/propellants of the type used by reloaders.... it wouldn't be as bad but decided we shouldnt be in the room.

If reloading does come and I hope so, I would be very careful on how much I have and how it is stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johngalway
    There were such high hopes, now I hear nothing about it? I'm sure most of us hunters and target shooters would be eager to know if it's coming in or staying out in the cold with all the other civilised world benefits (such as readily available broadband).

Can anyone shed any light?

Viva la Banana Republic.

You will be aware that the Firearms Amendments contained in the Criminal Justice Act of 2006 allows for the certification of an individual to handload however as per the PQ response in April the section is not yet commenced.

"As the Deputy may be aware, the Criminal Justice Act 2006 was signed into law by the President on the 16th July 2006. All sections of that Act relating to firearms have been commenced other than the following sections :

- 28 (Firearms training certificate)
    - 30 (Application for, and form and effect of firearm certificates)
    - 32 (Conditions of grant of firearms certificate)
    - 33 (Authorisation of rifle or pistol clubs or shooting ranges)
    - 38 (Registered Firearms Dealers), and
    - 40 (Reloading of ammunition)."

We (FLAG) met with the Department of Justice on this matter in April 2007 and significant correspondnce was generated, issues relating to liability and competency seemed to be the biggest stumbling blocks.

Correspndence has continued on the matter and we did get a commitment that there would be a pilot launch of reloading to see if there would be any significant issues arising.

One point of caution to anyone presently importing components who feel that they are covered der their certificate for components should take note of a paragraph contained in correspondence received on the matter from Justice:

"Furthermore, whereas, Section 26 of the CJA 2006 provides a definition for ammunition which includes ‘any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition’ Section 56 of the CJA (which has been commenced and which, in effect, allows for the exemption of firearm certificate holders from the importation requirements of ammunition or firearms) specifically states that component parts of ammunition does not come under the latter. My understanding of this is that, in effect, it means that component parts of ammunition are still subject to importation requirements."

While significant progress was being made towards a pilot reloading scheme, the events of October have overtaken us and with the formation of the Firearms Consultative Panel, FLAG no longer meets with the DOJ.

I would direct further questions on progress to Mr Declan Cahill of the SSAI who currently sits on on the FCP representing the SSAI. Questions with respect to the current situaton can be directed to the SSAI through the following link.

http://shootingsportsireland.com/_wsn/page5.html

There will also be an opportunity to receive an update on progress at the AGM of the SSAI which will be held in Abbeyleix on 17th Januay.

Happy New Year
    Safe Shooting
    Declan Keogh
    Chairman
    Firearms Consulative Advisory Group.
    Attached Files SSAI AGM Agenda 17 Jan 2008.doc (201.5 KB, 35 views)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

DJKH wrote: »
    Declan Keogh
    Chairman
    Firearms Consulative Advisory Group.

Whats the Firearms Consultative Advisory Group?

Typo

Firearms Legislation Advisory Group

Pity you did not have any comment about the content!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ned Muldhoon

Has the current FCP dropped the ball on this one or is any progress being made on this issue?
    Another query I would have for the FCP (I know this is going on a bit of a tangent), With the restricted firearms list due to be published, do we have any indication of what will be restricted (calibre, action etc). With pistols licenses being issued at the moment, will the holders of these certs be required to surrender their firearms and re-apply? Is there any chance we will even have .22 pistols off the restricted list?

Has the current FCP dropped the ball on this one or is any progress being made on this issue?
    Another query I would have for the FCP (I know this is going on a bit of a tangent), With the restricted firearms list due to be published, do we have any indication of what will be restricted (calibre, action etc). With pistols licenses being issued at the moment, will the holders of these certs be required to surrender their firearms and re-apply? Is there any chance we will even have .22 pistols off the restricted list?

These queries would be best answered by the SSAI Representative at the Firearms Consultative Panel Meetings, Declan Cahill.

From a historic point of view (pre October 2007, the month of the long knives!) it would be fair to expect that all pistols, rifles in excess of 7mm, all semi auto high powers and for good measure .223 (from a traditional point of view) it is possible as described above that .22 semi auto rifles with a mag capacity >6 would be on the restricted list also.

When we were provided with a draft copy of the restricted list in October 2006 we made significant recommendations but it is impossible to know what progress was really made.

The query with respect to firearms renewals has gotten a little more complex, it appears from the letter to the dealers that the three year licences have been "parked" this means that July to August 2008 renewals as has been before, however when the segment of the new legislation is enacted that brings forward the three year certificate all firearms will need to be applied for as if it were a new application, this is as it is in Northern Ireland, so it will not be a renewal it will be a re application. This will facilitate the licensing authority be it the local Superintendent or the commissioner in the case of restricted firearms to enquire into the reason for having any or all firearms. If appropriate justification is not provided then they may not issue the certificate, additionally we will all be liable to conditions being attached to our certificates, while these conditions should be agreed prior to implementation there is no knowing how difficult they might be. In NI when the police were able to attach conditions to certificates initially they were untenable however through excellent negotiation by the NI shooting groups the conditions attaching are now more paractical and reasonable.

However things are not as bad as they seem, all things being in place Firearms Licensing Guidelines should be agreed and published all before this happens and indeed the Guidelines should be agreed and published prior to the bringing into force of the restricted firearms listings, this is what was agreed in the course of our negotiations with Justice.

Check with Mr Cahill for a current status report.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

johngalway wrote: »
    The 55 grainers? If so I've tried them. Most of the ammo I've tried has been prior to adopting a new cleaning regime (in other words I rarely do a dn never use wire brush) and it's proved remarkable!
    John I'm a bit new to this so whats your new cleaning regime and can you explaine..... "in other words I rarely do a dn never use wire brush" the dn bit and why no wire brush?

Advertisement