Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friend has lost all his Pics/Music

• 23-06-2007 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

Heres the version he gave me. He logs on and gets something like the following, he cant quite remember:

Microsoft file deleted/corrupted......
    Please insert setup disk to fix and press R

When he does get in (its XP btw) hes logged in as "owner" and he cant find any of his family album pics or music. I asked him to navigate to local disk documents & settings folder to see if his account folder is there and all he saw was owner (he says). I also asked him to do a search for *.mp3 and *.jpg with no results coming back.

Has anyone any idea what might have happened to him? Virus maybe? His comp is in Cork and its impossible to talk him through much on the phone. Do you think all those photos are lost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't know what the error is or means but I'm not aware of any OS problem that would delete all your files. The only thing I can think of is this. Has he by any chance put in a recovery disc and reinstalled Windows? If it's a standard recovery disc it will have formatted the hard disk and everything will be gone.

If that hasn't happened and all the files have just gone AWOL somehow, I'd take the disk out and put it in another computer and try running some recovery or undelete software on it to try and get them back. He could run the recovery software on his own computer but you don't really want to go installing anything new as it may over-write parts of the disk where the missing files are stored. Also, to be safe recovered files should really be saved to a separate disk and not back to the source disk.

Also, being logged in as "Owner" leads me to believe he has used a recovery disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

After some brief browsing im thinking the same thing. It seems hes been clicking OK to more things than hes been letting on. Ill advise him.

Btw. Since the box is in Cork and would have to be carted up to me in Dublin to work on, does anyone know of a company providing an inexpensive/basic file recovery service down there? Asking him to remove the HDD may be akin to performing brain surgery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Tell yr mate to download and use this free program...

http://www.smartpctools.com/data_recovery/index1.html

i haven't used it myself, but heard its very straightforward and its cheaper than going to a techie.

Advertisement