Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Open drive for under 25yo ?

Options
  • 23-06-2007 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I wanna get insurance which lets me drive any car (within a certain range or whatever) with the owners permission. I believe this is called Open Drive but I'm not sure. I'm told this is only available to people over 25 - but I find this hard to believe?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I wouldn't believe this either. I've a 18 year old friend that has it. He done the Hibernian Ignition course though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What's it costing him/her a year and do you know what sorta limitations there is? Someone like "don't drive cars over 1.3L" etc ?

At the moment I'm a named driver on my mams insurance. Looking to get my own car soon. So I get my car and get 3rd party insurance on it - I can drive my own car and then drive my mams aswell without having to be named or pay named driver fees on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

ciaranfo wrote:
    I wanna get insurance which lets me drive any car (within a certain range or whatever) with the owners permission. I believe this is called Open Drive but I'm not sure. I'm told this is only available to people over 25 - but I find this hard to believe?

Thanks

Most companies do 'Third Party Extension' on their policies.

If you insure a car and have a full license, then u can drive any car with owners permission. It's usualy included in the premium.

I know he is driving a 2Litre Subraru Legacy now, nearing 300bhp! I'll have a word with him next time i see him.

• Advertisement

Webmonkey wrote:
    I know he is driving a 2Litre Subraru Legacy now, nearing 300bhp! I'll have a word with him next time i see him.
    I don't know what half of that means! 2L = high insurance cost and more powerful car I guess ... 300bhp?

Cheers, be great if you could find out :)

Yeah lets just say the average joe wouldn't be driving around with cars that powerful so as far as limitations comes, he doesn't seem to have any. I must ask him how much he is paying now as i'm curious myself.

I'll check that out asap, give a mail to remind me if I don't get back to you on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

ciaranfo wrote:
    I get my car and get 3rd party insurance on it - I can drive my own car and then drive my mams aswell without having to be named or pay named driver fees on it?

I'd be very surprised if any third party policies offer an option of open drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was able to drive any car (maybe a 1.6 limit? I don't know) with the owners permission on a third party policy with Britton Insurance (through Hibernian) and Tesco Insurance before them (also through hibernian). To be insured with either company you must pass the provisional ignition, I'm not sure, but maybe to get the open drive, you have to pass the full ignition. I passed them both so it was never something I had to enquire about really, but it definitely was possible at some stage:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It's not Open Drive (that's where anyone between 25 and 71 can drive your car without being named); what you're looking for is Driving of Other Cars.

IIRC, this is normally only available on a fully comprehensive policy.

You need to read your policy carefully, and ask them if you're unsure about anything. The guys with the 3rd party policies need to do that straight away if they're driving other cars thinking that they're covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Fey! wrote:
    It's not Open Drive (that's where anyone between 25 and 71 can drive your car without being named); what you're looking for is Driving of Other Cars.

Yeah that's right actually, I even knew that before mentioning it in the post above:o

I now have open drive on a fully comp policy, this means anyone between 25 and 71 with a clean full license (not more than 4 points I think) can drive my van. I can't drive other cars now, but I can drive other vans, with the owners permission. Which is a bit of a painus in the anus because I'm the only one with a van in my posse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Yes i had it done since i was 18,With hibernian and can drive any car.I even made sure i can drive performance cars and they said yeah so i drove my cousins cars in the uk which was a lambo ,m5 and a bentley.This was last year and i rang hiberian 2 times to confirm this and they said thats fine once i dont own the cars and once i get owners permission

Advertisement