Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby + Passport

Options
  • 23-06-2007 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi There,

Have a three month old baby and we are intending bringing him to a wedding in Europe in July.

Can anyone tell me does he need a passport to travel, if so how do I go about getting this??

thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You can get a passport - IIRC it's a 3 year passport.

More info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Yes, your baby will need his/her own passport, you can no longer add children to your own passport.

The Post Office have all the forms, and for a fee they have a service called 'Passport Express' with 10 working day turnaround time to get the passport back to you.

Details here:

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/At+Your+Local+Post+Office/Wizards/Get+a+passport/

If you need it more urgently, your best bet is to get the Passport Application form from a Garda Station, find birthcerts (yours and the babys) and suitable photos (and they are v.fussy about the size and style of photo, read the guidance on the application form), get it all witnessed at your local Garda station, and bring the lot in person to the Passport Office in Dublin (Molesworth St). If you can show you need it urgently (plane tickets etc) they can issue a passport the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

my photo tip - get your own digital camera, lie the baby down on a white sheet and take a load of headshots.

then pick the best one and get it printed. Otherwise you'll spend all day in the chemists trying to get a decent shot (they are very fussy)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Get the passport form first as it had templates for acceptable shots.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does this work both ways - will I need to get a passport for my infant son when I go back to Ireland to visit in a couple of months? It seems a bit silly, as they change almost beyond recognition in the time it takes to develop a photo :D
    If I do need to get a passport, can I get an Irish one for him or will the Irish passport office refuse as he was born in France?

• Advertisement

You need a passport to travel from country to country within the EU, irrespective of what age you are.

If your son was born in France he is (probably) entitled to an French passport. If either of the babys parents are Irish citizens, then he is entitled to an Irish passport. You can apply for an Irish passport from the Irish embassy if you are based in France.

Either way, your son will not be allowed to travel without a passport.

Pete67 wrote:
    You need a passport to travel from country to country within the EU, irrespective of what age you are.

Not true. The majority of European citizens can travel from one EU country to another on just a national ID card (free, obligatory) or driving license (obviously not an option!) - and with no border control this is a moot requirement in the Schengen zone.
    I'll see what the embassy says.

Ireland and the UK did not ratify the Schengen Arreement, so you will still need a passport to travel to Ireland from France.

I'm not sure how strict the border security is if you travel overland, but you will not get on a flight without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Pete67 wrote:
    Ireland and the UK did not ratify the Schengen Arreement, so you will still need a passport to travel to Ireland from France.

I'm not sure how strict the border security is if you travel overland, but you will not get on a flight without one.

This is not true, anyone born in France can freely travel within the EU with just the National Identity Card. Call the airline you wish to travel with as most accept the birth cert for a baby. I still think a passport is your best option though. Although, you will still need the birth cert if the child surname does not match yours. I have had soooooo much trouble because he has his fathers name and we are not married

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

if he was born in France, and you are both Irish, we will most certainly not be entitled to a French passport. The same way my son who was born here to french parents is NOT entitled to an Irish passport. You should contact your embassy or consulate for passport requirements. they would give you a temporary document allowing you to return to Ireland

• Advertisement

His Mum is French, and anyone born here is eligible for French citizenship regardless*. The passport is only 15 quid for a 3-year baby passport (and another 50 or so trying to get a usable photo!), according to the embassy, so I might as well get one for him. Good point about the surnames though - his mother might have hassle travelling alone with him.

*Actually not true, in retrospect, when both parents are known and have a defined nationality other than French.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

ps taking a step back - if at all possible don't bring the baby to the wedding. If you can find someone to do childminder for the weekend or how long it is for then thats a far better option. You will get minimal enjoyment from this trip if you are expecting to meet up and interact with people whilst you are looking after a baby ....unfortunately those days are over ....

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭spupazza

I have to do the passport for my baby, but I'm concerned about all the documents that I need to apply for. My boyfriend and I are not married but the baby has his surname. I went to the citizen information and they told me to fill a consent form that should be stamped by a solicitor. Is that right? Isn't the birth certificate a confirmation that I'm her guardian? How much should I pay the solicitor?
    Is there any other ID document that I can require for my baby, because I need it in order to get a flight in 3 weeks?if yes, where I can get it?

Thank you very much for the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eimsRV

Hi spupazza

We got our daughters passport in June, we didnt get the declaration/form of guardianship and there was no issue. Went to the passport office with all the forms signed, photos, fee, birth cert and a copy of my birth cert. We aren't married but our daughter has both our surnames so not sure if that makes a difference. Either way you are obviously listed on her birth cert as the mother. In my experience the lady in the passport office was very helpful.

If you bring in confirmation of flight then the passport office will get the passport for you in time. If you do need to get a confirmation/consent signed then I think you need to go to a commissioner of oaths to get the declaration - Its only about 20euros. You can look up one is a commissioner of oaths in the golden pages.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mc Cabes pharmacy do good baby passport pictures for 7 euro.

I recently travelled with my baby,she has her daddys surname and we had no issues either on the ferry or plane with her passport not matching mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭spupazza

eimsRV wrote: »
    Hi spupazza

We got our daughters passport in June, we didnt get the declaration/form of guardianship and there was no issue. Went to the passport office with all the forms signed, photos, fee, birth cert and a copy of my birth cert. We aren't married but our daughter has both our surnames so not sure if that makes a difference. Either way you are obviously listed on her birth cert as the mother. In my experience the lady in the passport office was very helpful.

If you bring in confirmation of flight then the passport office will get the passport for you in time. If you do need to get a confirmation/consent signed then I think you need to go to a commissioner of oaths to get the declaration - Its only about 20euros. You can look up one is a commissioner of oaths in the golden pages.

Best of luck.

Thank you very much for your answer. I think before to make any steps and waste time, to ring the passport office this morning and I'll see what they will tell me.
    Thank you again anyway!;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Passport Express do a really quick turnaround.
    We got a baby passport in 7 working days this May. (They say 10 days guaranteed).

That said if you're unsure you have the right documentation you might be better bringing it in by hand to confirm. Though usually the Garda won't stamp it unless you have all the right bits.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Mc Cabes pharmacy do good baby passport pictures for 7 euro.

I recently travelled with my baby,she has her daddys surname and we had no issues either on the ferry or plane with her passport not matching mine.

were you travelling to the UK by any chance, because in that case it's not an issue. If going elsewhere, i would seriously recommend you take her birth certificate with you to prove you're her mother or you might find yourself in a pretty nasty predicament one of these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

were you travelling to the UK by any chance, because in that case it's not an issue. If going elsewhere, i would seriously recommend you take her birth certificate with you to prove you're her mother or you might find yourself in a pretty nasty predicament one of these days.

Hmm, interesting, so does that mean that baby can actually travel between ROI & UK without a passport? and if so, until what age?

Camelot wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting, so does that mean that baby can actually travel between ROI & UK without a passport? and if so, until what age?

not sure to be honest. if travelling by boat, forever. If travelling by plane, this could possibly be decided by the airlines you are using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

if he was born in France, and you are both Irish, we will most certainly not be entitled to a French passport. The same way my son who was born here to french parents is NOT entitled to an Irish passport. You should contact your embassy or consulate for passport requirements. they would give you a temporary document allowing you to return to Ireland

Children born in Ireland to EU and EEA Citizens are entitled to Irish citizenship.

section 6A (2) (d) (i) of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act

We brought our little one to Europe when she was about 3 months, got the passport photo's in a place in Galway, but if you've a digital camera, that's better cos it takes a while to get the right shot- As someone else said, get the passport form for the templates first.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I got a passport for my daughter when she was 9 months old. At the time I was still married to my now ex. Even though he was not her father, because we were married I had to get a signed letter from him stating that he was not the father and basically waiving any rights to her. Her biological father didn't have to sign anything because we were not married.

I think that if you are not married, just the mother can get a passport without any paperwork from the father. If you are married to the father, (or anyone else) there is a little more to be done.

All a little hypocritical really.

Megan

Children born in Ireland to EU and EEA Citizens are entitled to Irish citizenship.

section 6A (2) (d) (i) of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act

hadn't realised that. good to know when he needs a second passport. for the moment though the french one is much cheaper :)

Advertisement