Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbour's House Alarm Going Off Since 11 o clock last night

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

stovelid wrote:

Don't think you can specify the alarm length OP :(

I have mine set to 30 mins for this very reason. ie if im not there and the alarm goes off - it only rings for 30 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I have mine set to 30 mins for this very reason. ie if im not there and the alarm goes off - it only rings for 30 mins.

Had no idea of this. Is it a setting? Must double check mine :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Dudess wrote:
    Absolute c*nts! They didn't even apologise? That's actually mind-boggling! I would have thought you'd be guaranteed an apology - and a major one at that. If it was me, I'd be mortified. I'd probably go out and buy you a bottle of wine or something.

Yep, gather as many neighbours as you can and maybe you should call over as a group.

They told YOU where to go, therefore feeling absolutely no guilt whatsoever, rather annoyance at you for having the "audacity" to tell them? As I said, mind-boggling...

We don't want to cause that much trouble. We're 5 college girls and given the general perception of student houses we dont want our other neighbours to think we're kicking up a fuss so we'll just grin and bear it. It's really frustrating though to say that we have been model neighbours for two years and even went next door to introduce ourselves when they moved in. It's very tempting to go away for the weekend and 'accidentally' set our alarm off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Best thing to do is the next time it happens tell them that there where scangers in and around their house trying to break in and set the alarm off, tell them you chased them off but had no way to contact them about the alarm going off they might be nicer to you then next time and might even give you their mobile number. Drop a rock into the back garden to make it more realistic, they'll think the scanngers were going to use it or something.

Snake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Excellent link qwertz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Welcome. I had a problem with neighbours some time ago and went down this route. It took me half a year and they were gone. The system is slow and tedious but it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

As far as I know, there is a law regarding ringing alarms. off the top of my head, they are only allowed to ring for 15 mins continually in one go. after that they must stop for at least 30 mins. Or something like that.

Our meter is outside. It is possible to switch it off from there- how to is not so clear though! We had an electrician here working on our circuit board inside recently. He went out to the meter, and there is basically a big black "yoke" and he pulled that out, and it cut off the supply from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Legally it is meant to be lower than this AFAIK, 15 or 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So someone breaks into your house, sets alarm going, neighbours swear, local gardai say n.o.p., cant do anything about it, burglar takes off with goodies - what's the point? Why waste your money on an alarm system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Always thought of this one when neighbour's alarm went off years ago.

1L tetra pack of milk, through the letter box, good to go. Get rid of package!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

looksee wrote:
    So someone breaks into your house, sets alarm going, neighbours swear, local gardai say n.o.p., cant do anything about it, burglar takes off with goodies - what's the point? Why waste your money on an alarm system?

as a deterrent - thats all they are good for, my house was burgled because it was the only one in a row of several without an alarm... needless to say i have one of the useless boxes on the outside of my house now : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Fairly sure the guards should be allow to gain entry to the house to shut it off.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

If there is an outside esb meter it is possible to shut off power, but don't try unless you know what you are doing. The back up battery should normaly last about 3 hours. If it only lasts a few minutes the alarm needs a service and new battery.
    If a neighbours alarm constantly give false alarms and they are doing nothing about getting it fixed, drop a note through their letterbox informing them that you are going to burgle their house the next time their useless alarm goes off. I did this once and they got alarm fixed. Before that the couple were convinced that the alarm had been activated by prowlers and that the alarm had scared them off

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement