Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting coarse ground coffee

• 23-06-2007 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

just got a new bodum french press and it says you must use coarse ground coffee, but i can't find any in the shops - it's all fine stuff! any ideas? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

You need to either grind your own or get someone to grind it for you.

Ariosa, who operate out of temple bar market on saturdays will grind to your specifiaction, and have some very nice coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

thanks for that - i might try grinding my own. i've read some of the reviews here but i'd be looking for something sub €50 that would do the job if such a grinder exists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

sub €50 you'll only get whirly blade grinders. they will essentially make boulders of coffee and powder. No control really.

I'm afraid a suitable burr-grinder is gonna cost you.

Good article: http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/presspot
    If there's one thing that you need to take away from this how to, it's this. Don't skimp on your grinder.

I get really irked at comments I see online, in alt.coffee, even in our consumer reviews section that say things like "it's good enough for a french press"... these are people talking about a blade grinder, or even the cheaper burr grinders like the Pavoni PA or the Braun KM30. I say to that: bull ****e.

Let's think about something here. What is it about press pot coffee that makes people think the grind should be more forgiving? The bigger size of the grounds? The steep time? No, none of that. There's nothing in press pot coffee brewing that will allow for a crappy grinder to produce the same results that a good grinder can produce.

With a press pot, particle size of the grounds is as important as it is for espresso. The difference is, you want uniform large particles, instead of uniform tiny particles. Cheap grinders can't give you either - they will give you a mixed bag of big and small chunks. Dust and boulders. It's what leads to the thing people dislike most about press pot coffee - the sludge.

*edit* I had a look at some reviews, I think the Starbucks Barista Burr Grinder might be a reasonably good grinder for the cost. Its a rebranded Solis Maestro grinder, and it should be able to give you a good grind. Not sure how much it costs in Ireland though - I think its about $120 in the US. By right it should be €100 here then, but it could be more. If you are planning on buying things like espresso machines down the line though, I would consider going all out for a more expensive grinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

thanks again reactor (u really know your stuff!) i guess i'll have to get saving :( in the mean time i ordered some of that cubista coffee ground for french press. nyom :)

Advertisement