Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really boring hobbies/interests: what's yours?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I really enjoy knitting and needlepoint (can't think of anyone in their 20's who does embroidery or needlepoint so i feel a bit odd).

I also colect antique ceramics and glassware, especially eggcups! (stop yawning!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Earthhorse wrote:
    Is it more boring to have a boring hobby or not have any hobbies at all?

Interesting quandary.

I remember someone telling me about a chavvy organisation in Cork (either a lap-dancing club or a pirate radio station - can't remember which, as both of them were mentioned in the conversation) giving out Valentine cards one year - the greeting was "your mint".

My mint, eh? What about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I have a slightly obsessive interest in all things to do with World War 2. Can sit for hours watching the History channel.

I collect glasses (pint glasses etc) but it's a rather casual thing. I just pick up ones I think are peculiar or particularly nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I collect cleansing wipes. You know the ones with advertising on them that you'd get in a resturant or on aeroplanes etc.

I must have around 50 of them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Hate to see bad grammar.
    Very interested in languages and linguistics. Sister bought me a book on it for Xmas. Love Spanish to the point of buying films and books in Spanish.
    Interested in WWII, specifically Nazi's. No bad reason, just find them very very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Trains.
    Steam ones, diesel ones, electric ones, I like 'em all...

And I love looking at maps too, especially looking for odd place names. I still remember seeing 'Bastardstown' for the first time :D

I used to work with a guy who collected milk bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

PC Computer games
    programming
    webdesign (i go for the graphic design side of things)

Its not fair, i really dont want any of those as a hobby or an interest, infact the last 2 are on and off, but the first one is a fkin drug. I cant stop even when i dont want to play them, im playing them. Nothing better to do around the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

I do a few things which I think alot of people would percieve as being boring (unless they gave them a go:rolleyes: )

Firstly, I do alot of art, I could spend hours drawing or writing, inventing characters and worlds. To me this is great craic, but to most others, a total drag. I just get lost in my imagination so easily.

I also play RPGs, pen and paper RPGs to be precise. (For those of you who've never heard of 'em, it's basically sitting around with a group of people, having one person "tell" a story, and each other person act out the part of a character in that story.)

I got alot of stick from my mother as a child for being a daydreamer, but to be honest, I wouldn't have myself any other way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Dudess wrote:
    But knitting's cool now - Kate Moss went through a phase of it! :rolleyes:
    Thanks, Dudess. I don't feel so boring now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

Sleepy wrote:
    ...the History channel...

In my house we call this the Hitler channel, and depending on wheter or not we've had a smoke we might add; All Hitler, all the time. Which never gets old for some reason.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i love cross-stitch you cant beat watching F1 and stitching away

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Etymology, different grammatical structures and reading. I've read thousands of books. However, none of these are boring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭bandit*baby

Mawg wrote:
    I also play RPGs, pen and paper RPGs to be precise. (For those of you who've never heard of 'em, it's basically sitting around with a group of people, having one person "tell" a story, and each other person act out the part of a character in that story.)

Quest!!! i love it

One of my mates sent me one of those 10 things you dont know about your friends e-mails and one of the questions was "what's your favourite sport to watch on T.V." my response was golf or snooker -although i'm still not entirerly sure if snooker is a sport- to which i received a hoard load of abuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

red_ice wrote:
    PC Computer games
    programming
    webdesign (i go for the graphic design side of things)

Its not fair, i really dont want any of those as a hobby or an interest, infact the last 2 are on and off, but the first one is a fkin drug. I cant stop even when i dont want to play them, im playing them. Nothing better to do around the house!

I think I suffer from these "interests" too.
    It can only go downhill from here on in, now that I have a whole summer free, along with new "boxen" and more bandwidth through the "fat pipe".:D
    I am officially a bum now the leaving cert is over, and I must therefore search for work.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭teresasaunt

I collect radio jingles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

One of my more boring interests, aside from computing, is military history/militaria collecting.
    I own a fair lot of military clothing and stuff.
    So far i have:

WW2 Iron cross dated 1939
    Korean war tunic (tho i think its a womans tunic as its ****ing tiny on me)
    US Army trenchcoat (looks to be korean war era)
    Russian army wintercoat
    Wehrmacht M39 wool field tunic
    And one of my best, a Vietnam era US army Dress uniform Jacket. I got it in an army surplus store in Washington state, when i took it home and tried it on, i found hidden in the pockets:
    The previous owners dogtags
    His last army pay cheque
    His airline ticket home
    half smoked cigarette! (from 1969!!)
    And his medical/vaccination book

Sorry..i get excited aboutt his stuff :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I collect Stamps and used to Collect Call Cards, i have 1 from the Vatican, now thats interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,801 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I collect hats.

Sometimes.

If I can be bothered.

I also like procrastinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I also collcted stamps ... for about two years when I was 9/10. People used to bring me stamps from all over the place. I even had my dad's old books from the 1960s.

Now, which is a bit embarrassing is that I absolutely love Jigsaws, I can't get enough of them. I can't just lie there and watch tv, I have to be doing something else so they're great for that. They're very relaxing. There's something soothing about putting them together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

plane spotting? its considered boring by most my friends/family! I spend hours filling up my logbook and analyising it.....I think its mighty craic! (nobody else does tho lol)

• Advertisement

Etymology, different grammatical structures

Music to my eyes!

There's some great stuff here - particularly the person who collects egg cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

0ubliette wrote:
    One of my more boring interests, aside from computing, is military history/militaria collecting.
    I own a fair lot of military clothing and stuff.
    So far i have:

WW2 Iron cross dated 1939
    Korean war tunic (tho i think its a womans tunic as its ****ing tiny on me)
    US Army trenchcoat (looks to be korean war era)
    Russian army wintercoat
    Wehrmacht M39 wool field tunic
    And one of my best, a Vietnam era US army Dress uniform Jacket. I got it in an army surplus store in Washington state, when i took it home and tried it on, i found hidden in the pockets:
    The previous owners dogtags
    His last army pay cheque
    His airline ticket home
    half smoked cigarette! (from 1969!!)
    And his medical/vaccination book

Sorry..i get excited aboutt his stuff :o
    I was wondering how something could be cooler than an Iron Cross til I got to the bottom of your post. That's really cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I spend hours mooching around boards when I should be persuing my boring hobbies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I really love Agatha Christie. This is slightly weird since its all about how you can't get any good maids nowadays what with the working class getting uppity and having tea with the vicar, but I love it! Plus, murder is cool. (In small english villages/trains/libraries/vicarages.)

I am 20 going on 70.

(Shes an old school murder mystery writer from 40s/50s by the by, in case you didn't know. For shame!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

i watch living tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Sleepy wrote:
    I was wondering how something could be cooler than an Iron Cross til I got to the bottom of your post. That's really cool!

glad someone else finds stuff like that cool! my friends just think im strange :o
    i tried looking up the owner online but googling his name got me nowhere, thought it would be good to send him back his dogtags if he was still alive. oh and i forgot my german ww2 coal scuttle helmet :D

I really love Agatha Christie. This is slightly weird since its all about how you can't get any good maids nowadays what with the working class getting uppity and having tea with the vicar, but I love it! Plus, murder is cool. (In small english villages/trains/libraries/vicarages.)

I am 20 going on 70.

(Shes an old school murder mystery writer from 40s/50s by the by, in case you didn't know. For shame!)

Ooh I LOVE the film adaptations of her books, and the Poirot TV series with David Suchet. Death on the Nile, Evil Under The Sun, The Mirror Crack'd and, best of all, Murder on the Orient Express - what a load of claptrap, but fabulously entertaining! And they all have huge ensemble casts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭intheknow

these people love ...........RUST
    Here you can discuss it, look at pictures of it.!! :D Rust at its finest !

http://www.rusted.0nyx.com/photos.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was walking down Henry St. the other day and I saw the following sign:

"You're keys cut while you wait"
    ....or the amusement arcade in Westmoreland Street which has the following at it's entrance:

"It's not the cards that your dealt, but the way you play them" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Skinning cats. There's more than one way you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Hagar wrote:
    Skinning cats. There's more than one way you know.

We had a lecturer in archaeology who knows twenty ways... based on the evidence from Wood Quay!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

My flatmate collects toenail clippings.

At least he leaves them on top of the toilet, don't know if that's the same thing :(

Advertisement