Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aero w/onboard gfx

• 23-06-2007 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Not sure whether to post this here or in the laptop forum. I'm about to but a Dell Inspiron 6400. It's got a T5300 1.73Ghz core 2 duo processor, 2mb L2 Cache, Gig of Ram.

My query is this. It has "up to 256 MB" of onboard graphics. No dedicated card. I'm wondering will the aero capabilities of Vista Premium work on my laptop. I'd really like to know this before I buy. I won't be playing games on it tbh, but if I'm paying for premium, I want to get everything out of it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I haven't purchased a PC since the windows 98 days! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I don't think so, Aero needs:
    "Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum), Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

there is very little difference between Basic and premium price wise... So does it matter? No integrated graphics might not be up to it but its not a big deal and most of the fancy stuff in vista will work fine!! The 3d window changer thing, the transparency etc...

In fact come to think of it.. im not even sure what you will miss out on as thats mostly what the aero interface is :D I have used systems with less graphics memory integrated than that with vista business and all that stuff works fine.. im sure there are some shiny bits missing but it should give you most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Everything will work fine. I have an inspiron 1501 with integrated graphics and everything works no problem. It's worth the extra few euro for premium and you'll get more besides Aero like the media center add on. The cost of upgrading after purchase through anytime upgrade is painful. Around 125 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Exactly.. the aero interface is only one thing that premium has over basic. And while it might not be as smooth and shiny as on a dedicated card you will have most of the aero interface running fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Thanks for the replies guys! Also, thanks kaizersoze, you story is pretty close to mine I reckon. /me goes off to order!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Also, there's a way to hack the Aero interface on Basic edition, but I'm not allowed link to how.

Advertisement