Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC + Laptop + ICS = Help?

Options
  • 24-06-2007 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

I Hope this is in the right forum, Mods feel free to move it if you think it would fit better in another area.

Right then, I've been trying to setup my girlfriends pc with ICS so that i can connect my laptop, when i'm there, and we can both have net access.
    Both PC and Laptop have Win XP Home SP2 + Updates to last week, no conflicts and up to date drivers for anything i could find.

The PC has Abit AW9D Max Motherboard with 2 onboard NICs
    LAN 1 = ZyXEL Prestige 600 series modem (BT broadband)
    LAN 2 = Crossover cable linking it to Laptop

Now i have gotten to the stage where PC (Host) is working as normal, internet access is fine and it can see the Laptop (Client) over the network, ping it and share files with it no problem.
    On the client i can see the host fine, can ping it and share files too, i can even ping ip addresses but i cannot ping websites or get any access through internet explorer.

I reckon i have something wrong when it comes to the DNS settings just cannot figure out what, have tried all sorts of combinations and most resulted in little or no success until now when i got full network accessability between them but just missing internet on client.

Settings are as follows:

Host:
    ====
    LAN1
    IP Address 192.168.1.33
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1 (modem)

LAN2
    IP Address 192.168.0.1
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.33 ***Not sure if this should even be set or if it's right***
    DNS Server 192.168.1.33 ***not sure if this should even be set or if it's right***

Client:
    =====
    LAN1
    IP Address 192.168.0.2
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.0.1
    DNS Server 192.168.0.1

Thing that is confusing me is that, with the PC having 2 NIC's, 1 for modem and the other with laptop connecting to it, I'm wondering what way the gateway and DNS on LAN2 should be set. Should they be pointing towards LAN1, or the Modem or left blank?

Any and all help on this would be greatly appreciated, spent a few hours tonight messing about with it and i'd say it's 95% there just need to get this last bit sorted.

Advertisement