Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Issues, please help

Options
  • 24-06-2007 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Can someone help me,

My broadband connection has gone abysmal over the last few days. Im on Eircom Home Plus and my download speed has dropped to 10kbs per second. My upload speed is fine , between 200 - 300kbs per second. Its made, its slower than dial up.

I rang eircom, they told me there was no issue on their end and my machine had to have spyware on it. i did a spyware scan. nothing, i rang back and they told me it was defo my machine, but i cannot find anything on my machine to do this. has anyone had this issue before or is it just me? can anyone help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

What kind of downloads are these? P2P or HTTP?
    Is it wired (lan cable) or wireless?
    Run a speed test at speedtest.ie and give us the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Click this link to log into your modem line stats page (assuming you're using the Netopia modem).
    http://192.168.1.254/indexTroubleshootStatRES.htm?adslRES.htm

The stats are in this format:
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 16.50 13.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 33.50 21.00
    CRC Errors 470 51
    Post your stats here. They will give an indication of any problems you may have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 pspdude

the downloads are HTTP and P2P, bitorrent and the likes of downloading nero from neros webpage. Its sooo bad

anyways here are those stats:

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 4.00 13.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 56.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 1170 22

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Your line stats are terrible. SNR is too low, your probably dropping connection all the time and attenuation is very very high.
    What speed package are you on? You installed new phone in house recently, alarm with phone watch?
    Just plug in the router direct to the phone line leaving telephone disconnected and check stats again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm no expert but you say you checked for spyware, wouldn't hurt to run a virus scan also, assuming you havent.

• Advertisement

i checked spyware, nothing, i actually formatted my whole drive, re installed vista so my pc should be good as new, still that issue, gonna go disconnect the phone, see what happens!

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 8.00 14.00
    CRC Errors 87 1

They are the new stats, i disconnected the phone so just broadband connected!

Im on the homeplus with eircom, 3mbs down, 512k up. not getting anywhere near that.

Downstream Upstream
    CRC Errors 87 1

Im on the homeplus with eircom, 3mbs down, 512k up. not getting anywhere near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Reformat & Install is the last option.

ive already formatted and reinstalled. I rang eircom, the guy on the phone was useless, asked me first if i had my modem plugged in ??? then told me to delete my history! when he ran out of ideas he said he would send an engineer to the exchange tomorrow and see if there is an issue there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

pspdude wrote:
    Downstream Upstream
    CRC Errors 87 1

Home plus is not 512 up it's 384, so you're syncing at the correct speed.
    Remove everything from the line (phones, sky box etc.) and plug the modem directly into the eircom master socket without a filter. Check your stats again.

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 9.00 14.00
    CRC Errors 4 2

Ok so disconnected phone, removed filter, plugged directly in, thats what im getting

ok so now ive done a full virus scan, full spyware scan, formatted drive, reinstalled windows and still an issue, i assume at this stage, the problem lies with eircom. i may revert back to XP, see if that helps, not a fan of vista anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

Hold on there .... before you go an completely reformat your machine and downgrade - you mentioned that your broadband has gotten very slow over the last few days. If thats so are you in a particular part of the country that has seen torrential rain? There was / is a lot of localised flooding that could have flooded your local eircom distribution panel - which could change the whole characteristics of your line. A lot of eircom's panels aren't completely water tight - this has more to do with vandals then bad design but could be a huge issue.

It could be spyware but as mentioned above first remove skybox etc from phone lines and plug broadband into main socket and ask eircom have they had issues in the area.

Hope it helps....

I have literally plugged my dsl line into the main phone line, removed the splitter so its just 1 connectin and my dsl line is the only thing in. in tallaght so yeah we had some terrible rain, still do, hopefully then when eircom check the exchange they find something tomorrow, thanks guys for all the help, hopefully will be sorted by tomorrow!

It's almost certainly the line, not your PC.

(Though XP is hardly a Downgrade. Unless you have a Business edition Vista, all versions of XP have more features, and Also XP pro works better than any Vista version)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

i'm having similar problems...if you switch the download and upload.
    My upload speeds are terrible..download fine. see my topic above,

p.s got the same response from eircoms "tech"

wiped the machine same as you. nothing.

I smell something fishy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

pspdude has a crap line ( now) it can only take 1mbit what are your stats smyth??

yeah i rang again yesterday, spoke to a guy called ale, he didnt know what he was talking about, had no record of my previous phone calls and says he will get it sorted, so the engineer that was supposed to go out never did. I will call them again today and demand it gets fixed today!

eircom have moved all their support to India where they have not got a clue so good luck trying to get any joy out of them, reformating over a line fault or router fault is BS of the highest order .

• Advertisement

yeah i know, i didnt mind doing the reformatting, but i lost everything on my pc, wouldnt be that much of a deal if i were able to redownload the applications i had but i cant, im in work now so internet is fine, but at home i cannot access a webpage, i had to download flash yesterday, a 1.3 mb file, it took 27 minutes!

get a downgrade to 1mbit for the moment, it wil stabilise the line

my line is bad enough without deliberately asking them to drop it to 1mb. on a 3mb line im getting dial up speeds, on a 1mb line id probably end up in a minus figure :)

No, it doesn't work like that!

fine , dont listen !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭trivium

i live in tallaght and my eircom broadband is gone to muck aswell, i was sure it was a virus and bought new antivirus and nothing was found on my laptop, i also rang eircom who fobbed me off :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

pspdude wrote:
    my line is bad enough without deliberately asking them to drop it to 1mb. on a 3mb line im getting dial up speeds, on a 1mb line id probably end up in a minus figure :)

There are many many threads recently on boards which will educate you on line issues:

Please start with these links:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Did you by any chance only upgrade to the 3Mb recently/

As the wise Sponge Bob advises your best option is a speed downgrade your line is nowhere near being up to the 3Mb.

ive been on a 3mb line for a year now with eircom and never had an issue with it before, im in work now, i will check the line when i get home and take it from there, i may downgrade and also ask for a refund since ive been unable to use it for over a week now, should get compensation also for them telling me it was my fault for getting spyware and then telling me my best option was to format the drive to totally rid it of spyware.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Sponge Bob wrote:
    pspdude has a crap line ( now) it can only take 1mbit what are your stats smyth??

I have a 2mb line. Download is fine 190kb+. Upload is crap 5kb - pauses all the time....lags (but it starts okay. 45kb for about a second.)

Problem is, I'm a web designer and I need upload as much as download.

from the router:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 12.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 25.50 14.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

• Advertisement

looks fine both for upload and download, snr a bit tight on upload but not unaccepatbly, does one have phonewatch which can interfere more with the upload (if I am correct) ??

if a netopia can you give us the full stats from expert mode> trouble> dsl to see if all "tones" are working ???

Advertisement