Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a van

Options
  • 24-06-2007 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi guys my dads looking to purchase a ford transit.I was looking at purchasing in the uk.Is it true its just 50 euro vrt .Is there any other cost except going over etc.
    Also how would vat work if i buy it for my dad from the uk.Can he claim back vat like he can in ireland.Will the uk reduce the price if its ex vat.Can someone with experience please help me out.
    I am looking at something like this van
    http://www.perrys.co.uk/used-search?manufacturer_F=Ford&model_F=Transit&from_price_F=0&to_price_F=9999999&vehicle_type=V
    Also is there any cheap place to puchase a ford transit in the uk?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

He can claim back VAT the same as in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ballooba wrote:
    He can claim back VAT the same as in Ireland.

Thanks so if the Van is £12000 thats approx €18000. Then how will the 21% (€3100) be got back from the revenue.Does it not make it difficult as you are buying it from a different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The van should be invoiced to you excluding the VAT in the UK, so you need to be buying from a vat registered source. You will have to furnish them with your Irish VAT number to do this. They will probably check that your VAT number is legit (with Interstat I think).

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

drdre wrote:
    Thanks so if the Van is £12000 thats approx €18000. Then how will the 21% (€3100) be got back from the revenue.Does it not make it difficult as you are buying it from a different country.

i think the uk vat rate is 17.5% not 21% so you should be able to get that back

Do-more wrote:
    The van should be invoiced to you excluding the VAT in the UK, so you need to be buying from a vat registered source. You will have to furnish them with your Irish VAT number to do this. They will probably check that your VAT number is legit (with Interstat I think).

Yeah we have an irish VAT number.I think once they get a irish VAT number they will exclude the vat so i would have to pay it in ireland.Im not sure but i think that would be the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

Use this to see what VAT they charge. Its 21% of the IRL market value not what you paid for. At least this is for importing a standard car, it may possibly be different for businesses. I imported a car last week and went to the motor office in tallagh, they input the details and calculate how much needs to be paid. Then you give abank draft, quite a simple process

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is Cormie not seling a Transit?

:)

Stekelly wrote:
    Is Cormie not seling a Transit?

:)

Oh i would rather walk than buy that transit :)

Macca206 wrote:
    Use this to see what VAT they charge. Its 21% of the IRL market value not what you paid for. At least this is for importing a standard car, it may possibly be different for businesses. I imported a car last week and went to the motor office in tallagh, they input the details and calculate how much needs to be paid. Then you give abank draft, quite a simple process

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT

Thanks alot,Also i was told its only 50 euro vrt for commerical cars/vans/jeeps so that should be a advantage or the expensive irish dealer prices.

Advertisement