Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stealing the neighbours cat - am I bad

Options
  • 24-06-2007 3:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit of a cat lover so any cats that pass through my garden i try to befriend, anyway a new moggy passed through my garden recently and he's of the friendly variety - very approachable - so i got out a saucer and gave him a bowl of milk and a slice of ham, funnily enough he appears more often after that so i feed him every time i see him and he is spending more and more time in my back yard - I have a basket in my shed where he now spends each night - I know he has a home cause he has a collar with bells on - so am I bad ? should i not be doing this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

NO! you know its bad, that cat is a slut.

PS I bet it prefers fish (my robbed cat likes tuna)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Cats often choose their owner based on where they get the best treatment. I have acquired a moggy this way so I don't see anything wrong with what your doing. Your hardly holding it against its will. However, it may at some point leave you for someone else. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I have a 17 year old cat, in her younger days she used to go two doors down for cooked breakfasts, and in next door for meals on wheels & milk, she never left home, she just visited the elderly people who lived in both houses daily. The cat belonging to another elderly neighbour comes to visit me regularly, I always give her a bit of whatever my 3 are getting to eat & also worm & deflea her (my neighbour's less forgetful daughter is aware that I am doing this) Cats appear to like to visit people other than their owners - mind you the one you have seems to have taken it to the extreme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

We have two cats but one is only an occasional visitor home. God knows where she spends all her time. Pity - as the other cat is always alone and could do with some company other than three dogs that think she would make a nice meal.

I knew neighbours who once started to do this with another neighbours dog. It led to a major falling out and an planning objection to illegal windows they had installed in their house. Then all the other neighbours went against them and they had to move back to England leaving behind a house with illegal windows that could not be sold before being changed.

So your cat loving generosity may not be appreciated if discovered. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

I suppose the one thing that concerns me is that the cat is being overfed? If his/her owners are feeding them, and you are, can cause a lot of problems for the cat later in life.

We're the same though, there's a cat around our area who just wanders in and is quite friendly, but I know for a fact that she is well looked after by her owners. So I dont feed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

TBH if someone was feeding my cat I wouldn`t be too impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Neither would I.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

well, if someone was feeding mine, I'd like to know, so I can stop buying all this expensive cat food (and send the bills for vaccinations, flea treatment etc their way as well...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

If the neighbour says anything tell them that the moggy brought a dead mouse to your door a couple of times and you fed it as a reward. And then also offer to feed it when the neighbour is away - then it won't be your fault that the cat won't go back over the hedge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

I think You're Terrible;) I recently moved to the countryside & thought a cat would be a good addition to the household(even though I'm a dog person). I have grown to like her more, but had left her outside most of the time, with a nice dry cat kennel & fed her twice a day. Anyway, we were away this weekend & friends came over to feed the family!!! She hasn't been seen since Thurs evening! I think someone has kidnapped her!!! & It's unfair not to let the old owner know what the cat's forwarding address is:D All I want to know is that she's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Nick Carroll

One of our cats went walkabout a month or so ago from our Dunboyne home and has not been seen since.

I know in my head that in all likelihood she has met her maker, but my heart tells me otherwise. I hope one of you kind souls enticed little Berry in with some ham or tuna, and she has been elevated to housecat status!

If you did happen to take in a small and fluffly tortoiseshell female with a permanently puffed tail about a month ago, then you will by now have discovered her dark side. I imagine that at some point you have tried to get her to do something against her will, and that now you are lying in bed, recovering from deep lacerations to the head!

Don't worry, we'll take her back. Just email me and we'll be round in a jif.

(I can hope, can't I?)

m_5aad1c7b8e72d5a1cf3dec95f63de37b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Laura~

We acquired ours the same way also - Tuna was on the menu too :D

We did 'fess up to the neighbour concerned in the early days and warned that if we kept feeding her, she may come to believe she lived with us, but she told us to go ahead. We did. And the cat did - eventually refused to enter the door to her original home despite invitation to do so, even if we were there also, she refused to stay put. "Let me out now"

We are still good friends with the neighbour but the cat is now a firm family member and in fact rules the roost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ricky k

dont worry about it dude, the cat probably goes back to its own house in the day time. my cat spends about half her time with the neighbours and the rest with us. we dont mind at all, but try not to give the cat milk, it is bad for them and they dont need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Laura~

During this week I heard the story of a cat who died - and 4 of the neighbours each claimed her for their own cat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

One of our cats went walkabout a month or so ago from our Dunboyne home and has not been seen since.

I know in my head that in all likelihood she has met her maker, but my heart tells me otherwise. I hope one of you kind souls enticed little Berry in with some ham or tuna, and she has been elevated to housecat status!

If you did happen to take in a small and fluffly tortoiseshell female with a permanently puffed tail about a month ago, then you will by now have discovered her dark side. I imagine that at some point you have tried to get her to do something against her will, and that now you are lying in bed, recovering from deep lacerations to the head!

Don't worry, we'll take her back. Just email me and we'll be round in a jif.

(I can hope, can't I?)

Awww. So sad! I know that chances are slim but I still hope you get her back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

TBH if someone was feeding my cat I wouldn`t be too impressed.

Have to say I agree.

If the cat looks neglected or thin, feed it by all means otherwise leave it be.

Personally I think if your cat is treated and fed well, they won't leave home. However if they're as greedy as mine; getting fed elsewhere will likely turn them into fat b8stards :)
    MooseJam wrote:
    so i got out a saucer and gave him a bowl of milk and a slice of ham,

Wouldn't give them either treat Moose. Going by our two; too much milk isn't good for cats and slices of ham mean you'll never get rid of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

We have two cats but one is only an occasional visitor home. God knows where she spends all her time.
    Riffling through bins and $hitting in other people gardens at a guess, surely there has to be at least one responsible owner on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Gorgeous kitten, I'd say looking at her cuteness that someone's taken her in

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JasperMcEwan

Now I know why one of my cats is so fat. One of my neighbours must be giving her steak and lobster. If anyone would like a cat of their own we have two lovely 9 week old kittens to go together or sparately. We call them Google and Yahoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JasperMcEwan

Now I know why one of my cats is so fat. One of my neighbours must be giving her steak and lobster. If anyone would like a cat of their own we have two lovely 9 week old kittens to go together or sparately. We call them Google and Yahoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Did anyone hear the vet on Mooney (RTE Radio 1) say that 1 to 1 and a half pouches and some mixer (per day) was loads for the average cat?

Seems to be doing my cat a world of good: he was on 2-3 pouches a day but hardly ever polished the plate. Seems a lot more alert as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

My cat is big, I give him a tin of whiskas a day. He's an outdoor cat tho and gets loads of exercise.
    My kitten is eating 1.5 sachets of kitten whiskas per day... you'd think I was starving him to death the way he meows for food! :D

Advertisement