Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping Center - The size of Liffey Valley and 260 Houses!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

Lumbarda wrote:
    We went down to Wicklow Co. Council yesterday and had a look at the plans. Unfortunately, it was after 3 when we arrived down (the counter closes at 3.30) so we didn't have enough time to look in detail but what we did see has really worried us.......

We are in Charlesland Park and will back on to the proposed houses which are ALL 3 storey houses of approx 12 metres in height (being built on an existing higher elevation to Charlesland) and the gardens are TINY, some of them are only 6 metres in length i.e. the 12 metre houses will loom over our gardens set only 6 metres back from our end walls..... It will have a severe impact on light into our gardens and invasion of privacy.

Other good news is that the style of the houses is completely different to Charlesland (no brick facade on the back of the houses which is what we'll be seeing but what they refer to as "self coloured monocouche") and will not be in keeping with the character of the area.

They have also planned a pedestrian bridge to link with the shopping centre which looks like it will go exactly where the old house currently is behind us (Unfortunately this house is being demolished which is a surprise as we were told by the builders last year that it was protected). The access to the bridge is a tall glass structure on either side so everyone using it will be looking into our gardens. It also looks like the idea is to have open access between Charlesland (through the green area between Grove and Park), the new houses and the shopping centre etc. with this bridge being the main link which surely has security issues and safety implications for children in the area.

They also mention a proposed 6 storey building at each roundabout - we didn't have time to see what these are exactly but again they will overlook our houses.

As I said, we're VERY concerned with what we've seen and are working on a submission at the moment. While some of us will be more directly affected than others, everyone in Charlesland (and even Greystones with the obvious increase in traffic etc) should be concerned at the scale of the development and the negative impact it will have on the area and on the value of our houses and should have a look at the plans themselves.

And I thought I was being cynical when I mentioned in an earlier thread that they'd probably try to sneak the planning permission through over the summer months!! :)

I also live in the Park did you get a chance to get a copy of the proposal? I would be very interested in seeing this as I have major concerns!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I always assumed the gap between the Grove and Park would eventually become a route through to the main road (why else would it be there?) - will it be a road or just a footpath? Pedestrian access through to the sports centre and playground would not necessarily be a bad thing - at the moment its long walk around.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Hi Tomato, we're new to this too so are on a sharp learning curve!! This is a link to a leaflet that Dublin City Council have on submitting an objection, I think the procedure is generic for all the Councils:

http://www.dublincity.ie/Images/Leaflet%20for%20Objectors_tcm35-8468.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 smithser

Hi, Just had a very thoughtful neighbour drop into my house with a copy of the plans of both the land and the type of house being built, very frightening, we'll need to get our objections in before July 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Lumbarda wrote:
    Hi Tomato, we're new to this too so are on a sharp learning curve!! This is a link to a leaflet that Dublin City Council have on submitting an objection, I think the procedure is generic for all the Councils:

http://www.dublincity.ie/Images/Leaflet%20for%20Objectors_tcm35-8468.pdf

Excellent. Thanks .. will get straight on to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

I presume the 6 storey buildings mentioned are probably apartment blocks. The developers are clearly trying to squeeze as much residential units into this small area as possible. It shows a blatant disregard for the future of the area in my opinion. Such an increase in population density is completely reckless in my opinion. If developers had it their way, there would be an apartment block on every green patch of the town. I dont think planning permission should be granted for anymore apartments in the area. I mean, the apartments up in Eden wood overlooking Charlesland are hideous. Never mind the fact that developers are just squeezing as much profit out of the area as possible, then pack up their tools and machinery and laughing all the way to the bank!

;) I am not a cynic!

Actually from what we've seen of the plans, I think the 6 storey buildings are 2 storey motor showrooms with 4 storey offices above. There are plans for 3 motor showrooms - Are there THAT many people who want to buy new cars in the area?! I guess it's so we can all buy our Mercs whilst "upgrading" to our 5 bedroom house in the new development, by the way, "upgrading" from Charlesland is seriously given as one of the grounds FOR the development by Zapi, oh, let me just dig that extra half a million euro out of my pocket so I can buy one of these "lovely" houses with no garden..... (Hey, now THAT'S cynical!!:D)

There are also plans for 9 seperate office blocks as well as the ones over the motor showrooms - I guess this would be in response to the HUGE demand for office space in the area as evidenced by the take up of such space in the Charlesland and Eden Gate retail developments ie. NIL to date as far as I'm aware! :rolleyes:

The apartments/duplexs are in 3 blocks on a site beside Fairways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

i live in the area and it would seem logical for the rest of the area to be developed as shops follow people. greystones population is high for its size and cannot support its self without growth and employment as local money ends up in other places eg Dundrum,Bray and Dublin. it happens all over. as one of the few here who are looking forward to the future growth of the area it should also be noted that if you dont have a bad word to say about something you tend not to bother saying anything at all, so it cannot be assumed that this development is not a good idea just by the majority verdict in this thread. the original planning for charlesland was different to what is there now, each row was ment to have 2 3bed and 3 two bed not 2 3bed and 4 2bed as far as i know.

not putting anyone down just adding my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

gstonesmx5 wrote:
    i live in the area and it would seem logical for the rest of the area to be developed as shops follow people. greystones population is high for its size and cannot support its self without growth and employment as local money ends up in other places eg Dundrum,Bray and Dublin. it happens all over. as one of the few here who are looking forward to the future growth of the area it should also be noted that if you dont have a bad word to say about something you tend not to bother saying anything at all, so it cannot be assumed that this development is not a good idea just by the majority verdict in this thread. the original planning for charlesland was different to what is there now, each row was ment to have 2 3bed and 3 two bed not 2 3bed and 4 2bed as far as i know.

not putting anyone down just adding my two cents.
    Tend to agree with you. The objections sometimes seem to preceed the plans. When Charlesland was being built. There was a rumour that 1300 council houses were being built. i promise thats my last word on the subject. I remember the Harbour project thread. Trust me my friend. This thread will become....explosive.

The objections sometimes seem to preceed the plans.

Not the case in this instance as the plans have been submitted and I think a lot of the people most affected have already seen them. In our case, we've studied them in detail and are objecting on the basis of what is proposed in them i.e. 3 storey houses on a higher elevation which will completely overlook our property and substantially block our light - good grounds for objection, I would have thought!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 scivvy

Does anyone know where the school is going? On what side of road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

scivvy wrote:
    Does anyone know where the school is going? On what side of road?

The school site is on the North side of road next to creche i.e. not on Jackie Kelly side.

Interesting that Hazel Jones, planner for Zapi is saying in the Wicklow Times that the school site will be provided IF planning permission is granted. I understood this to be a condition of the rezoning.

It's almost like they're holding wicklow co co to ransom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Lumbarda wrote:

There is no offical format that an objection should take. It can be as little as one sentence. It is worth bearing in mind that Wicklow County council will probably give permisssion for this irrespective of your objections. However You can then appeal to An Bord Plenanla and thats where you might well win. However if you dont object to WCC in the first instance then you have no right of appeal. So it is important that you get some sort of objection in by the deadline.

If there are enough interested persons (and there seems to be based on this forum) you should seriousely consider getting togther and paying a planning consultant to prepare your appeal to the Board. It will cost a few quid but it is money well spent. you could perhaps contact one of the sympathetic Councillors (Tom Fortune, Deirdre De Burca) to help co-ordinate your efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

If anyone hasn't had a chance to look at the plans (which are VAST!), on top of all the things mentioned before, there will be a glass bridge going over the link road, starting from the grove/park section. For everyone in the Park, especially those whose houses back onto the south wall, there will be 168 new 5-bed houses which are 12m high and 3 stories tall. Judging from the plans, their gardens are shorter than ours, which means that we would be looking at a very different view. I'm guessing that as a guide, the duplexes in Charlesland are approx. 12m high. So anyone who doesn't want this, please send in your objections by 27th July!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭woodser

Vast --43 boxes of them I spent 6 hours going through 2 boxes in Wicklow today christ trying to put an objection in would take years.
    I genuinely have never seen anything as detailed.They've every angle covered must have preparing for years. I saw one plan was drafted as far back as 02.I think the overall scheme is fantastic i'm going to put in another few hours tomorrow and Wednesday.
    What potential !---and at last some thing that will generate local employment.I noted that the Greater Greystones area has a population equal to that of Sligo but with an indigenous employment rate of 10% the same.Tralee with 80% of the population has 60% more local employment and Arklow with 60% of the population of greater Greystones has 200% more local employment shame on those of us that are planning on stopping this.And fair play to all the local reps FG FF and Labour who had the vison to push the land rezonings through to make all this possible I wish I could give you all no 1 in 09

Fiachra2 wrote:
    Lumbarda wrote:

There is no offical format that an objection should take. It can be as little as one sentence. It is worth bearing in mind that Wicklow County council will probably give permisssion for this irrespective of your objections. However You can then appeal to An Bord Plenanla and thats where you might well win. However if you dont object to WCC in the first instance then you have no right of appeal. So it is important that you get some sort of objection in by the deadline.

If there are enough interested persons (and there seems to be based on this forum) you should seriousely consider getting togther and paying a planning consultant to prepare your appeal to the Board. It will cost a few quid but it is money well spent. you could perhaps contact one of the sympathetic Councillors (Tom Fortune, Deirdre De Burca) to help co-ordinate your efforts.

The "eternal objector" will you keep to your side of Greystones Mr Etchingham you've already caused enough problems for the residents of the Wood and as a result we have to continue paying management fees when a handover could have happened this year except for objections you lodged that are now costing me and others thousands annuallyin management fees.And we still havent the childcare places your objection was based on in the first instance so we're worse off than ever.And you didn't even have the decency to respond to a message I left on your phone begging you to talk with me before doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

I think you might have the wrong person.

In 1999 I objected to the rezoning of the lands to facilitate Charlseland because the proposal was in breach of the National Spatial Strategy. I also objected to the scale of the development when which planning permission was sought. Since then I have not been involved in any objection relating to the area other than a submission on the 2006 town plan. As for causing you to pay managment fees and preventing childcare failities from being constructed ,well I am afraid I am at a loss as to what you are talking about. I sugest you PM me with the details of what you think I did and we can clear up the matter.

Also, I dont think we should think about any particular "side" of Greystones. In the long run it will be better if all residents, old and new, take an interest in the whole of the town.

woodser wrote:
    Vast --43 boxes of them I spent 6 hours going through 2 boxes in Wicklow today christ trying to put an objection in would take years.
    I genuinely have never seen anything as detailed.They've every angle covered must have preparing for years. I saw one plan was drafted as far back as 02.I think the overall scheme is fantastic i'm going to put in another few hours tomorrow and Wednesday.
    What potential !---and at last some thing that will generate local employment.I noted that the Greater Greystones area has a population equal to that of Sligo but with an indigenous employment rate of 10% the same.Tralee with 80% of the population has 60% more local employment and Arklow with 60% of the population of greater Greystones has 200% more local employment shame on those of us that are planning on stopping this.And fair play to all the local reps FG FF and Labour who had the vison to push the land rezonings through to make all this possible I wish I could give you all no 1 in 09

Sounds like you're really trying to put people off objecting. All the local reps didn't try to push this zoning through. Some felt it was far too big and unfair to the people in charlsland to have to put up with building for the next 10 or more years. It was only FF and FG.Are you connected to the council in some way?

still plenty of vacant shop units in Meridian Point, Charlesland & Eden Gate.

who exactly are they expecting to open up in this centre? (well, I expect they're aiming to get Dunnes or M&S as anchor tenant but they'll still need to fill the smaller units).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Apparently Dunnes are dying to get into the area, so they'll probably be the anchor tenants. While I agree with bringing jobs into the area and helping people to avoid long commutes, I have a problem with all these huge shopping centres and car showrooms opening up in every community. They're doing one in Arklow, proposing ones in Bray and Wicklow too. WHO needs to do THAT much shopping that it is possible to sustain all these centres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 D2

I am advised that an exhibition of the model, plans, display boards and the non-technical summary of the EIS will take place in Charlesland Shopping Centre this week:

Thursday 19 July 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
    Friday 20 July 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
    Saturday 21 July 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Representatives of Zapi will be on hand to answer queries, comment cards will be provided and there'll be an email address and website.

A newsletter about the exhibition will be also delivered to all homes in Greystones, along with ads in local newspapers, posters and on East Coast FM.

Moderators: This post is aimed towards residents who have concerns about the proposed development. I note that the some with profit motivated interests in Charlesland, tried to drag this thread off topic with odd rants. I am asking that this thread is kept on-topic and not allowed be dragged down like previous threads.

A couple of guys will try and get around to houses tomorrow night with copies of the plans.

There are of course benefits to be found by all in different elements of the plans but I personally find that houses being overlooked by 12m houses unacceptable, amongst other concerns. Those people should surely have our support.

FYI: Here are the Planning Application details on WCC website, unfortunately, very little of the information is complete.

http://www.wicklow.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=071352

As Fiachara said, this will be passed by WCC. However, if you have concerns and do want to proceed further a planning consultant could be employed to address the issues raised, but you will have to have made a submission in the first place.

Thanks to Fiachra2 for advising on this.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

RESIDENTS LOOKING TO MAKE SUBMISSIONS:

Submissions

You will have to submit a cheque with your submission, but it may be a good idea to e-mail your submission also and copy in local representatives (email addresses below).

Address for submission is:

You may want to work with the below submission simply as a template, which was made in regards to the rezoning and amend it. Some of the points are still valid (population, consultation, overburden of facilities, traffic concerns -noting that accidents like the recent one are more likely on a much busier road and walkovers should be suggested from Seabourne on both sides of the roundabout to Superquinn side, noise levels and of major concern is that the town planners are against this). Traffic impact study etc. will have been done.

Have a look at the many objections to the 91 apartments etc. and you should find paragraphs which you can use in your submission if you are overlooked for example (it appears that the 3 storey housing begins somewhere between 190-200 Grove and continues the length of Park).

Wicklow Planning Dept
    [I’ve lost their address!]

To: plandev@wicklowcoco.ie for follow up e-mails

Submission re: 10 year permission for development on 31.7 ha of land at Charlesland, Greystones, Co. Wicklow Reference no. 07/1352

I wish to make the following observations:

Environmental Report • The Planning and Development (Strategic Environmental Assessment) Regulations 2004 states that "Any proposed changes to the draft plan
    must go through the screening process to evaluate if they would cause significant environmental effects not previously identified or addressed in the Environmental Report. This screening process must be recorded, including any opinions from the Environmental Authorities. If there are material changes to the draft plan, this screening documentation must be made available for inspection during the public display of the proposed amendments to the draft plan" This requirement has not been met.

Consultation • The rezoning had been proposed and accepted by Wicklow County
    Council without prior consultation with residents of Charlesland. Consultation prior to any rezoning of lands adjacent to Charlesland was specifically requested in submissions made by residents of Charlesland Park and Grove on the Local Area Plan on 14th June 2006, and the submissions were available to all councillors.

Noise Levels • I am concerned about the obvious levels of noise, to be generated
    by the proposed shopping centre, from deliveries, consumers etc.

Population • Greystones is substantially ahead of target for residential units
    and corresponding population growth.

• Under the Wicklow County Development Plan 2004 – 2010, there is no
    requirement to zone additional lands in Charlesland to meet the
    population/settlement increase projections.

Business Park • Proper sustainability of this area requires the provision of mixed
    use facilities, as in those provided in the current planning permission
    for a business park, not the over-concentration of residential development which will add to the wider problem of Greystones as a dormitory town.

Drainage Issues • The land earmarked for residential rezoning is 2m higher than
    Charlesland Grove at the South East corner and water runoff to South-facing gardens would increase due to compacted soil if construction was to proceed. Lowering of soil levels in this area may cause significant drainage problems.

• As highlighted in the Proposed Amendments Report prepared by Murray O'Laoire Architects September 2006, it is predicted that the environmental impact of this amendment will result in:

-An increase in waste water loading to the Greystones Wastewater Treatment Plant of c.645 p.e. to that provided for in the zoning permission of the draft plan due to the proposed residential development”.

- “An increase in potable water demand to service an additional residential population of c.645 persons to that provided for in the draft plan”.

Traffic Impact Assessment

• No study was done to assess the impact on traffic of the proposed shopping centre. It would be standard practice that a study is done to assess the impact of traffic for any such development.

• The proposed rezoning of the E2 land for additional residential and retail use will have a negative environmental impact in terms of traffic volumes and air quality, both during construction and operation if the centre is to proceed.

Local Retail Impact• No assessment was made of the impact of the shopping centre on existing retail outlets in Greystones.

• As outlined in the Murray O’Laoire Architects report, the proposed rezoning conflicts with the existing sustainable spatial strategy and conflicts with the fifth objective of the retail planning guide.

Transport • There is currently NO public transport for Charlesland, yet it is
    proposed to house c.625 more residents in the area

Having considered the Local Area Plan and the rezoning for Greystones/Delgany 2007-2012, and notwithstanding some positive elements of the rezoning, including a site for a school, Garda station, recycling centre and enterprise centre, this submission rejects the proposal to rezone lands on the basis that the requested consultation was not provided, that the population targets for the area have already been exceeded, and on the basis that the proposed rezoning did not consider basic concerns such as traffic volumes and impact on local retailers.

Name: XXXXX XXXXX

Address: # Charlesland XXXX, The Glen, Greystones, County Wicklow

Cc: mitchelld@eircom.net; tomfortune@eircom.net; gjones@georgejones.ie ;kk@kathleenkelleher.com ; JBehan@wicklowcoco.ie ; JByrne@wicklowcoco.ie ;
    JRyan@wicklowcoco.ie ; CFox@wicklowcoco.ie ; DDeBurca@wicklowcoco.ie ; PVance@wicklowcoco.ie ; AFerris@wicklowcoco.ie ; JOShaugh@wicklowcoco.ie ;
    PCasey@wicklowcoco.ie ; ATDoyle@wicklowcoco.ie ; FWhittle@wicklowcoco.ie ; CKavanagh@wicklowcoco.ie ; NKelly@wicklowcoco.ie ; VBlake@wicklowcoco.ie ;
    SBourke@wicklowcoco.ie ; TCullen@wicklowcoco.ie ; JRuttle@wicklowcoco.ie ; ETimmins@wicklowcoco.ie ; mgtocallaghan@eircom.net ; cllrcmaloney@hotmail.com
    pat@patkillilea.com ; dick.roche@oireachtas.irlgov.ie
    [email]liz_mcmanus@oireachtas.irlgov.ie [/email] ; billy_timmins@oireachtas.irlgov.ie; Charlesland@gmail.com

this is out of date (looks like Fiachra has C&Ped his zoning objection)

Marcais wrote:
    Moderators: This post is aimed towards residents who have concerns about the proposed development. I note that the some with profit motivated interests in Charlesland, tried to drag this thread off topic with odd rants. I am asking that this thread is kept on-topic and not allowed be dragged down like previous threads.

A couple of guys will try and get around to houses tomorrow night with copies of the plans.

There are of course benefits to be found by all in different elements of the plans but I personally find that houses being overlooked by 12m houses unacceptable, amongst other concerns. Those people should surely have our support.

FYI: Here are the Planning Application details on WCC website, unfortunately, very little of the information is complete.

http://www.wicklow.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=071352

As Fiachara said, this will be passed by WCC. However, if you have concerns and do want to proceed further a planning consultant could be employed to address the issues raised, but you will have to have made a submission in the first place.

Thanks to Fiachra2 for advising on this.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

RESIDENTS LOOKING TO MAKE SUBMISSIONS:

Submissions

You will have to submit a cheque with your submission, but it may be a good idea to e-mail your submission also and copy in local representatives (email addresses below).

Address for submission is:

You may want to work with the below submission simply as a template, which was made in regards to the rezoning and amend it. Some of the points are still valid (population, consultation, overburden of facilities, traffic concerns -noting that accidents like the recent one are more likely on a much busier road and walkovers should be suggested from Seabourne on both sides of the roundabout to Superquinn side, noise levels and of major concern is that the town planners are against this). Traffic impact study etc. will have been done.

Have a look at the many objections to the 91 apartments etc. and you should find paragraphs which you can use in your submission if you are overlooked for example (it appears that the 3 storey housing begins somewhere between 190-200 Grove and continues the length of Park).

Wicklow Planning Dept
    [I’ve lost their address!]

To: plandev@wicklowcoco.ie for follow up e-mails

Submission re: 10 year permission for development on 31.7 ha of land at Charlesland, Greystones, Co. Wicklow Reference no. 07/1352

I wish to make the following observations:

Environmental Report • The Planning and Development (Strategic Environmental Assessment) Regulations 2004 states that "Any proposed changes to the draft plan
    must go through the screening process to evaluate if they would cause significant environmental effects not previously identified or addressed in the Environmental Report. This screening process must be recorded, including any opinions from the Environmental Authorities. If there are material changes to the draft plan, this screening documentation must be made available for inspection during the public display of the proposed amendments to the draft plan" This requirement has not been met.

Consultation • The rezoning had been proposed and accepted by Wicklow County
    Council without prior consultation with residents of Charlesland. Consultation prior to any rezoning of lands adjacent to Charlesland was specifically requested in submissions made by residents of Charlesland Park and Grove on the Local Area Plan on 14th June 2006, and the submissions were available to all councillors.

Noise Levels • I am concerned about the obvious levels of noise, to be generated
    by the proposed shopping centre, from deliveries, consumers etc.

Population • Greystones is substantially ahead of target for residential units
    and corresponding population growth.

• Under the Wicklow County Development Plan 2004 – 2010, there is no
    requirement to zone additional lands in Charlesland to meet the
    population/settlement increase projections.

Business Park • Proper sustainability of this area requires the provision of mixed
    use facilities, as in those provided in the current planning permission
    for a business park, not the over-concentration of residential development which will add to the wider problem of Greystones as a dormitory town.

Drainage Issues • The land earmarked for residential rezoning is 2m higher than
    Charlesland Grove at the South East corner and water runoff to South-facing gardens would increase due to compacted soil if construction was to proceed. Lowering of soil levels in this area may cause significant drainage problems.

• As highlighted in the Proposed Amendments Report prepared by Murray O'Laoire Architects September 2006, it is predicted that the environmental impact of this amendment will result in:

-An increase in waste water loading to the Greystones Wastewater Treatment Plant of c.645 p.e. to that provided for in the zoning permission of the draft plan due to the proposed residential development”.

- “An increase in potable water demand to service an additional residential population of c.645 persons to that provided for in the draft plan”.

Traffic Impact Assessment

• No study was done to assess the impact on traffic of the proposed shopping centre. It would be standard practice that a study is done to assess the impact of traffic for any such development.

• The proposed rezoning of the E2 land for additional residential and retail use will have a negative environmental impact in terms of traffic volumes and air quality, both during construction and operation if the centre is to proceed.

Local Retail Impact• No assessment was made of the impact of the shopping centre on existing retail outlets in Greystones.

• As outlined in the Murray O’Laoire Architects report, the proposed rezoning conflicts with the existing sustainable spatial strategy and conflicts with the fifth objective of the retail planning guide.

Having considered the Local Area Plan and the rezoning for Greystones/Delgany 2007-2012, and notwithstanding some positive elements of the rezoning, including a site for a school, Garda station, recycling centre and enterprise centre, this submission rejects the proposal to rezone lands on the basis that the requested consultation was not provided, that the population targets for the area have already been exceeded, and on the basis that the proposed rezoning did not consider basic concerns such as traffic volumes and impact on local retailers.

Name: XXXXX XXXXX

Address: # Charlesland XXXX, The Glen, Greystones, County Wicklow

Cc: mitchelld@eircom.net; tomfortune@eircom.net; gjones@georgejones.ie ;kk@kathleenkelleher.com ; JBehan@wicklowcoco.ie ; JByrne@wicklowcoco.ie ;
    JRyan@wicklowcoco.ie ; CFox@wicklowcoco.ie ; DDeBurca@wicklowcoco.ie ; PVance@wicklowcoco.ie ; AFerris@wicklowcoco.ie ; JOShaugh@wicklowcoco.ie ;
    PCasey@wicklowcoco.ie ; ATDoyle@wicklowcoco.ie ; FWhittle@wicklowcoco.ie ; CKavanagh@wicklowcoco.ie ; NKelly@wicklowcoco.ie ; VBlake@wicklowcoco.ie ;
    SBourke@wicklowcoco.ie ; TCullen@wicklowcoco.ie ; JRuttle@wicklowcoco.ie ; ETimmins@wicklowcoco.ie ; mgtocallaghan@eircom.net ; cllrcmaloney@hotmail.com
    pat@patkillilea.com ; dick.roche@oireachtas.irlgov.ie
    [email]liz_mcmanus@oireachtas.irlgov.ie [/email] ; billy_timmins@oireachtas.irlgov.ie; Charlesland@gmail.com

Again, for those concerned, this is the original objection to the rezoning posted as a guideline. Fiachara did not write any of it but advised re. filing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 smithser

cheers for the guidelines Marcais, just drafting up my objection, i seen the plans and can't believe the height of the houses that they intend to build directly behind the back wall of the park, i have been talking with a number of neighbours about this and there seems to be strong support against the overall application, if this planning gets granted as you suggested there seems to be a strong contingent of people in the area that would try and bring this all the way to the board i.e employing a planning consultant to assist

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

I saw the plans too and the height of those houses overlooking the back row of the Park is ridiculous!! I am fortunate enough to be in the back row of the Grove and will hopefully have the school behind me but I will definately support all of those against the height of those houses.

I dont mind the shopping centre and business parks as it will bring jobs to the area but I would be worried about the affect it may have on some of the smaller businesses in the town. I used to live in Newbridge and the town died once the first of the shopping centres opened opened and over the years it had a major effect on the developement of the area. It has taken nearly 15 years to come back to normal. Now the Whitewater centre has opened there may be more knock on effects again.

Also Zapi on this development promisied a huge cinema complex for the locals and they never delivered and now the town has no cinema. It may not be a big thing I would like Zapi to include a cinema complex on their plans as there is now not one Cinema in the Whole of Wicklow once Greystones closes its doors. So if anyone is going to view the plans over the next few nights and put in their objections would you also maybe consider asking about a cinema and a larger playground for children or something better than the 2 exisiting playgrounds that we have at the moment for children ... the one by the sea is falling apart slowly and the new one by Jackie Skellys isnt big enough to support a growing young family population. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Went to see the exhibition last night :

- Was amazed at the height of the proposed houses overlooking the park. Also, tiny back gardens (yards) - doubt one would ever get much direct sunlight in them.

- Also, they are promoting these as trade-up houses for existing residents....the majority of people are in 2 bed duplexes or apartments....who can afford to trade up to a 5 bed house?

- All the social affordable housing is in one section of the development. Shouldn't this be mixed? Isn't that the idea? When asked, the chap present said that the whole Charlesland area is one phased project, the the social affordable housing is in fact mixed in with the other properties.

- No promises of a school...just land will be provided for such...wasn't this already promised with the rezoning of that land?

- Garda station - when a junior minister was contacted by a local councillor a number of months ago, he indicated that they have no plans to relocate the existing Garda station from the town centre

- Access to the Social Affordable housing scheme via Seabourne View? Were the residents (owners) of Seabourne View constulted about this? Can the small access road into Seabourne View even take an extra estimated 300 cars a day?

Overall I think Zapi are going for the "Wow" factor with the shopping centre. It does look good. However, they are really chancing their arm with a lot of the plans and everybody should attend to see how this will affect you. I am not against the development at all. However, Zapi must be forced into making changes to the existing plans before a sod is turned....

- Was amazed at the height of the proposed houses overlooking the park. Also, tiny back gardens (yards) - doubt one would ever get much direct sunlight in them.

- Also, they are promoting these as trade-up houses for existing residents....the majority of people are in 2 bed duplexes or apartments....who can afford to trade up to a 5 bed house?

- All the social affordable housing is in one section of the development. Shouldn't this be mixed? Isn't that the idea? When asked, the chap present said that the whole Charlesland area is one phased project, the the social affordable housing is in fact mixed in with the other properties.

- No promises of a school...just land will be provided for such...wasn't this already promised with the rezoning of that land?

- Garda station - when a junior minister was contacted by a local councillor a number of months ago, he indicated that they have no plans to relocate the existing Garda station from the town centre

- Access to the Social Affordable housing scheme via Seabourne View? Were the residents (owners) of Seabourne View constulted about this? Can the small access road into Seabourne View even take an extra estimated 300 cars a day?

Overall I think Zapi are going for the "Wow" factor with the shopping centre. It does look good. However, they are really chancing their arm with a lot of the plans and everybody should attend to see how this will affect you. I am not against the development at all. However, Zapi must be forced into making changes to the existing plans before a sod is turned....

Local Councillors agree that the Garda station will probaly not be built on the site.

ANYONE WANTING TO MAKE A SUBMISSION, PLEASE SEND ME A PM WITH YOUR CONTACT DETAILS AND I WILL FORWARD YOU A FAIRLY COMPREHENSIVE ONE (not what was posted here before) WHICH YOU CAN Of COURSE TAILOR AS REQUIRED

• Advertisement

It is not up to the developer to provide a school its up to the D.E.S.the D.E.S. rarely get involved inP.P.P. schools as they have proven disastrous in the recent past-- as for the Garda station Future Plans could you tell me exactly who these local cllrs are because two of our local cllrs along with 3 Wicklow T.D.s recently met with the Gda Commissioner and Minister Lenihan and they are anxious to press ahead with the station the old one has one functioning toilet and is totally unsuitable now that Greystones has been allocated 6 more Gardai.So I dont know what cllrs you were talking to as they seem tobe basing their statements on pure conjecture and opinion.

Advertisement