Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping Center - The size of Liffey Valley and 260 Houses!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

We just got notification from WCC that Planning Permission has been granted for this development :(.

The next step is to appeal to An Bord Pleanala, does anyone know if it's possible to put in a joint appeal with other residents? An appeal has to be lodged within 4 weeks of the decision date (28th November is the date on the letter), how convenient that it's just before Christmas when of course people have nothing else to be doing :rolleyes:.

One of the provisions is that 50% of the office space/enterprise centre has to be built before construction of the houses can start. Do other people reckon this development is still going to go ahead given the current property climate? Surely the days of charging close to a million euros for ugly (I've seen the drawings!) "family homes" with miniscule gardens is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Ossie

I understand that there are 77 conditions applying to this permission which is quite extraordinary. (for normal planning applications the number is around 10!)

A very bulky document is on its way to thise who made submissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DaGaffer

woodser wrote: »
    SNIP

Isn't it woodser? And what about people living right beside the houses? Have you ever thought about them? I guess the day that your idol developer builds three storey houses (12 m height) at the back of your garden blocking out your natural light you will react differently. I am not directly affected myself but will object further because me = not selfish.

I guess as well you're sure that the new offices blocks will be full in no time in such a currently booming economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

As for a mini dundrum on our doorsteps it'll save all the headaches ...

Yep, such as the headache of "having to travel outside the county to buy a washing machine"... how could we cope with that...

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Yep, such as the headache of "having to travel outside the county to buy a washing machine"... how could we cope with that...

Good one, MuffinsDa. I don't see who you're talking about...:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

DaGaffer wrote: »
    Good one, MuffinsDa. I don't see who you're talking about...:confused::confused::confused:

It's a reference to one of the politicos who used the line MuffinsDa quoted as justification for the project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Its a reference to one of our esteemed councillors comments in his argument in favour of this development.

oops sorry I was being sarcastic - should have used the :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :D (just starting to get into the boards.ie community)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Yes. We often fall into the sarchasms here.

Who was the councillor who made that quote? DM? Maybe he was being sarcastic.

:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭woodser

DaGaffer wrote: »
    See what I mean:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

what about those living in Charlesland at present that are overlooked by the present duplexes/townhouses who objected for them:mad: .

Two wrongs don't make a right, Woodser.

I see the shopping centre as a separate issue anyway and not the major issue for an objection - it's the density, height and proximity of the houses to Charlesland (not to mention incompatibility of style). But please don't mention that this (density, height and proximity) was necessary to make the whole project viable - this ain't true.

As a conclusion if residents in Charlesland were already badly affected by the addition of apartments and duplexes the developer doesn't seem to be getting any more considerate of residents as time goes on and somehow I don't think he's planning the "amenity" out of the goodness of his heart. :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/its-been-dunne-bono-1234229.html

Awww, isn't that sweet, Sean Dunne and Wicklow CC had a nice little "love-in" during the week in his hotel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭woodser

It wasn't a luv in it was called The Wicklow Showcase and it was all about developing local indigenous employment and infrastructure also sustainable development had a major role to play. I dont know where the paper or the journalist got his storyline as Mr.Dunne didnt speak at at all.Sean Mulryan of Ballymore was one of the keynote speakers the others were Bankers and heads of Enterprise Ireland and the I.D.A..It was a constructive day concluding around 3.30 with a few deals on industry concluded . Sean Dunne made an appearance for about 20 mins and viewed some of the stands then left .He never addressed any of the workshops or the main conference.

Contrary to what was said on another thread a few weeks ago, the Appeal to An Bord Pleanala regarding this development has not been withdrawn. We have just received notification that they have decided to hold an oral hearing on this appeal. Just letting people know how things stand, particularly those who would be directly affected if this development goes ahead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I hope it goes ahead North Wicklow has a tendency to Reject permission for Developments & Retail just look at Bray they refuse everything!.
    I think it would be great for the area with shopping local and hopefully a new cinema just take a look at the New Arklow shopping center and what its done for the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Has there been any news on this since 'Summer'?

Probably not looking too good considering events withs Dunnes in Newtown?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

....heard they got the go-ahead for around 200 houses but no shopping centre earlier!! something about it on east coast this morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

here's the relevant pleanala page:
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/226988.htm

no details there yet, but the decisions holding page says:

Decision: Grant permission with revised conditions (Split Decision - See Board order)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

They'd be mad to anything now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭williamb

Irish Times reporting shopping center as refused.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0115/1231738223928.html

Derek Mitchell reckons none of it will now proceed.

But then, none of it was likely to proceed even if they'd got planning permission.

I doubt the plan will be let go to waste! There will probably be another proposal in due course although probably not in the near future. Although, I hope the school goes ahead sooner rather than later in some separate proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

But surely this scheme wasn't commerically viable anyway?
    Commercial and residential property prices are in freefall. We haven't seen the worst of it yet by any means.

Dundrum is 20mins away why would we need another shoping centre. Retail space per capita is at satuation point.

However, I agree this will come around again at some point. Give it 10 years.

GingerDave wrote: »
    Dundrum is 20mins away why would we need another shoping centre. Retail space per capita is at satuation point.

and the Bray Town Centre development (which probably will get the go-ahead now) will be only 10 mins away. This is a dead duck in its present form...

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

GingerDave wrote: »

Dundrum is 20mins away why would we need another shoping centre.

Anytime I went to Dundrum shopping centre it has always taken me more than 20 minutes to get there and parked! Not a shopping centre I particularly like TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Shopping centre plans blown out of the water

"...In a split decision, the board granted permission for houses, offices, an enterprise centre, petrol station and car showrooms.

However, An Bord Pleanála refused permission for the shopping centre and retail warehouses saying it would conflict with national policy which 'favours the siting of new retail development in town centres or edge of centre locations, it would have an adverse impact on the vitality and viability of the existing town centre'..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

yep. thats in the Wicklow people also. Hard to see the housing going ahead now. And what of the plans for the estate on the golf course?. It's pretty easy to see where all these bad loans are.

And what of the plans for the estate on the golf course?. It's pretty easy to see where all these bad loans are.

I'd forgotten about that - http://www.greystonesnewquarter.ie/

don't imagine that'll be happening anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about that - http://www.greystonesnewquarter.ie/

don't imagine that'll be happening anytime soon.
    Maybe thats what fitzpatrick borrowed the money for. He lives in Greystones apparantly. Should be moved to mountjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Bart Wilson

Yet another developer led white elephant in Greystones avoided thanks to the recession/depression. Very little progress to report on the hideous harbour development - perhaps they are running out of cash???

Advertisement