Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

300 People Caught Cheating

Options
  • 24-06-2007 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

In the star sunday today that 300 students have been caught cheating in the last 4 years , Interesting fact but oviously its higher but these are the reistered ones , TUT TUT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

When I done my leaving cert, there was this guy in my class who really hated physics. Solution: Get a friend who studies science in university to sit the paper.
    I was sitting right behind this guy and could barely contain my amusement. Result: The cheater got an A1 in physics and a nice degree course for himself.
    Those figures you quote certainly don't surprise me. I would say for every 1 caught, 10 get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

When I done my leaving cert, there was this guy in my class who really hated physics. Solution: Get a friend who studies science in university to sit the paper.
    I was sitting right behind this guy and could barely contain my amusement. Result: The cheater got an A1 in physics and a nice degree course for himself.
    Those figures you quote certainly don't surprise me. I would say for every 1 caught, 10 get away with it.
    That takes balls, fair play, but at the end of the day, it's of a fairly low moral standard.

There was a huge amount of cheating in a...school I know of. Lads just leaving folders of notes in the jacks. The invigilators copped on some time around biology, but there's nothing they can do without solid proof. There was also answers being whispered across the exam hall.

It's shocking stuff, but I don't get too worked up about it because the people that do it are going to do shít leaving certs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Did nobody say, "Hey! Hey you! Not-in-my-class physics guy!"? How'd he manage to get away with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

because there too busy actually doing the exam that will basically deside their life to care

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I heard of some superintendants just not caring about cheating.After the aura;s they let the students ask each other questions,change answers etc.I can't remember what school it was in but I wouldn't have minded that...

• Advertisement

Idiots. Every single person is made aware of the consequences of if you cheat and are caught before the leaving cert happens, and most people have heard about being barred from state examinations etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

A bit off-topic, but a guy I know who does the supervision in a certain remote area of west Galway, allows the students up to 30 minutes extra in some exams, and also starts the exams about 5/10 minutes earlier when he can.
    I mean some of the things that happen all over Ireland I would say are crazy. I remember another certain guy I know during his JC geography test, he didn't have any pencils or coloring pencils with him, so he told the examiner and he went around looking for some from other students. 'Twas quite lol tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    A bit off-topic, but a guy I know who does the supervision in a certain remote area of west Galway, allows the students up to 30 minutes extra in some exams, and also starts the exams about 5/10 minutes earlier when he can.
    I mean some of the things that happen all over Ireland I would say are crazy. I remember another certain guy I know during his JC geography test, he didn't have any pencils or coloring pencils with him, so he told the examiner and he went around looking for some from other students. 'Twas quite lol tbh.
    Meh, it's only Junior Cert, I didn't have colouring pencils for mine, Got em off another guy in me class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

i was tempted to send a supertalented mate into my music practical but decided against it..... wouldve been a certain 50% in the bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

ZorbaTehZ wrote:

well, i had a supervisor like that in this years L.C. was really handy tbh to get an extra few minutes in maths, applied maths and tec drawing:D
    during paper 2 in higher maths for example, he gave out the papers about 15 minutes early and gave out to people who arrived 10 minutes early telling them they were late!
    in higher maths, i had the circle question finished bout 9:28 which is before the exam officially starts:D
    I'm the only student in my school who sat applied maths this year and i got the paper at bout 1:42. I did an extra question and at 4:40 he said to 'START' finishing up. dragged it out for bout an extra 8 minutes before starting to put a treasury tag and graph paper etc. and sticking my booklet together. Was nearly 4:55 by the time i walked out of the hall.

Those extra minutes make a huge difference when it comes to fighting for the high grade though but i wouldn't cattegorise it as 'cheating' tbh:o

going back to the original post, my friend went to the toilet during this years higher irish paper 1 and started texting someone he knows whos fluent, he reckons that this may have brought him up a grade. he never got caught, just shows how easy it is if you're able to live with your conscience afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭fitzgese

sd123 wrote:

Those extra minutes make a huge difference when it comes to fighting for the high grade though but i wouldn't cattegorise it as 'cheating' tbh:

i totally disagree. cheating means gaining an unfair advantage and with the extra time that is exactly what you are getting. the time limits are there for a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Cheating is bad for those honest people who will miss out on their courses due to a cheater. Personally i dont cheat but then again im very confident ill get one of the courses i want anyways so cheating is just meh to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

meh, the time limits are part of the exam.. break them and you're breaking the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's not exactly cheating, at least, not be him. It's the supervisor who's cheating, I'd say thousands and thousands of people, including myself, could have done with even 5 minutes extra time, so it's an unfair advantage. And it really annoys me, ran out in Eng Paper 2...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A lot of people cheat, they did when I did the exam anyway. My brothers cheated too last year and the year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

sd123 wrote:
    well, i had a supervisor like that in this years L.C. was really handy tbh to get an extra few minutes in maths, applied maths and tec drawing:D
    during paper 2 in higher maths for example, he gave out the papers about 15 minutes early and gave out to people who arrived 10 minutes early telling them they were late!
    in higher maths, i had the circle question finished bout 9:28 which is before the exam officially starts:D
    I'm the only student in my school who sat applied maths this year and i got the paper at bout 1:42. I did an extra question and at 4:40 he said to 'START' finishing up. dragged it out for bout an extra 8 minutes before starting to put a treasury tag and graph paper etc. and sticking my booklet together. Was nearly 4:55 by the time i walked out of the hall.

Crikey, and I thought I was lucky getting the exam 5 minutes early in App. Maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

only 300 were caught? Probably only around 5% of those who were cheating. A 5% chance of getting caught for a ~90% chance of improving your grade is +ev :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I was so tempted to cheat, our examiner was a total fool. In all fairness though if i had cheated it would have only have leveled out the playing field, i had to wait a half hour for paper with my hand in the air and him looking straight at me. He only gave out extra paper when there was around 5 peoples hands up at a time. We all felt like killing him when we were finished.

But i dunno bout your schools but cheating would have been ridiculously easy in mine, and if i were to reapeat(Which i am not under NO circumstances) i would deffinatly cheat my BALLS off. I dont care if its immoral, the world is an unfair place and the leaving cert is just a memory test anyway which is just bollox in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Ok enough with the "what about the legitimate students who dont cheat it's not fair". Yeah so people cheat you out of a couple of points, quit complaining. What should really be addressed are those examiners who give twenty minutes extra to a class, or allow students discuss the paper with it in front of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Aard wrote:
    Ok enough with the "what about the legitimate students who dont cheat it's not fair". Yeah so people cheat you out of a couple of points, quit complaining. What should really be addressed are those examiners who give twenty minutes extra to a class, or allow students discuss the paper with it in front of them.

I think the cheating students should be dealt with equally as much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I don't understand why they don't have a supervisor(an adult from SEC, not a student from a lower year) outside all the exam centres in a school monitoring students going to the toilet, checking the toilets etc. They could also be in control of when an exam started or stopped, ie. they'd pop their head in the door and give the go ahead to the supervisor in each room to start the exam and when to stop it.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I don't understand why they don't have a supervisor(an adult from SEC, not a student from a lower year) outside all the exam centres in a school monitoring students going to the toilet, checking the toilets etc.

Cost?
    Patricide wrote:
    I was so tempted to cheat, our examiner was a total fool. In all fairness though if i had cheated it would have only have leveled out the playing field, i had to wait a half hour for paper with my hand in the air and him looking straight at me. He only gave out extra paper when there was around 5 peoples hands up at a time. We all felt like killing him when we were finished.

Why didn't you say "sorry?" or something else out loud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Myth wrote:
    Cost?
    One extra supervisor per school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Each school does have a member of staff appointed to do what you have said , check the toilets and other places for books and notes or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Brilliant, absolutely Brilliant. Well done ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Why do people care if other people cheat!!! I never did it, mainly because I would have been too scared. I certainly wouldn't care if I seen people taking the risk. People should just worry about themseleves and let everyone else do what the want.

I find the people who give give out about cheating are the ones looking for an excuse themseleves for not getting there college course etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I don't understand why they don't have a supervisor(an adult from SEC, not a student from a lower year) outside all the exam centres in a school monitoring students going to the toilet, checking the toilets etc. They could also be in control of when an exam started or stopped, ie. they'd pop their head in the door and give the go ahead to the supervisor in each room to start the exam and when to stop it.
    Agreed. There should be such a figure. My sister was an assistant once. She was told to follow people to the bathroom. That didn't happen for us. I was actually very surprised. I even met another lad in my English class when I went to the bathroom during the English PII exam. It's all too easy to cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

In the star sunday today that 300 students have been caught cheating in the last 4 years , Interesting fact but oviously its higher but these are the reistered ones , TUT TUT

Maybe this partly explains the improvement in grades in recent years.

Those who can do, those who can't cheat !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Myth wrote:
    Cost?

Why didn't you say "sorry?" or something else out loud?
    o no you dont understand, you see he saw me, i was saying sorry coughing ect. He just wasnt getting up untill he could do a few students at once, the ASSHOLE.

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    One extra supervisor per school?

Yes?
    Patricide wrote:
    o no you dont understand, you see he saw me, i was saying sorry coughing ect. He just wasnt getting up untill he could do a few students at once, the ASSHOLE.

Ah, I get you. That's quite bad.

Advertisement