Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.com, .net, rights re registered company name

Options
  • 24-06-2007 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

i have bought the .com .net and .co.uk of a particular domain name.

this is for a business which will be focused on the uk.

i intend to use the .net domain for a particular non-money-making purpose for a couple of years, and then after i have built up traffic there, i will launch the .com side of the operation and drive traffic to it by advertising it at its .net compatriot.

there are a couple of different options of the exact nature of the .com side of things - all of which i feel could work well, and i havent yet decided which direction to take it in.

if i dont register the company name in the uk til i've decided exactly what form the .com will take, could someone else register the name, set up a business with that name and and sue me to obtain the .com?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Simplest way is the register the .com and .net on the same day.... its only €12 a year...

I don't think the uk has registered business names like we do, you just put joe blogs trading as MegaSite.com when using the name....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tether

why is it impt to register them on the same day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

tether wrote:
    why is it impt to register them on the same day?

stops someone copying your name, your sure both are available.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

I can't think of a reason why you might need to register them on the same day.

In relation to your original question, if you are using the domain names for a legitimate purpose (eg, not just registering them to try and flog them to someone else later) then there is little ground for someone to try and get them off you. An exception to this might be a registered trademark or something like that.

You are entitled to register .co.uk, .net and .com domain names as an individual. A company has no more right to them than you do, particularly if you have them registered prior to that company even existing.

In short, it isn't something I would worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

well yes, jhegarty has a point that if you want to use a particular domain name, you should register it as soon as possible in case someone else gets there first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tether

thanx.
    just to clarify: i have already bought the .net .co.uk and com (as well as .org .org.uk and .info)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

tether wrote:
    thanx.
    just to clarify: i have already bought the .net .co.uk and com (as well as .org .org.uk and .info)

Wow it must be an important name.Remember you have to pay for these every year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

My answer to OP is 'Probably not, but it is possible.'

Registering a company name might not be much help to give you protection.

I would register a UK or community trade mark if this is really important to you.

You should consider getting legal advice on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

drdre wrote:
    Wow it must be an important name.Remember you have to pay for these every year. :)
    If you are running a business online then your business model should be able to afford the domain registration costs ....

Advertisement